Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
astroboy100 wrote: Interesting read...seems Fido will start charging $10 if you phone in for something you can do online Link
Old news that's been discussed upthread.
Groovycake wrote: Yikes. I won't be calling in anymore.
TL;DR
1. Only routine stuff like payments, CC number changes, password resets, etc. that can be done by the customer online will attract the $10.
2. Issues that customers can't do on their own remain free.
3. Telcos deserve a lot of criticism for myriad pricing and service issues. But this ain't one of them (or if it is, it's no where near the top of the list.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29538 posts
20458 upvotes
srialva wrote: Thank you. I will try. What to lose.

Also is the Mediapad T5 better or the Samsung Tab A?

I like the size of Mediapad but i am reading its useless as the internal storage is only 16gb and although it has expandable memory, Huawei kinda restricts if you want apps be installed on external storage. Not sure how much there is truth to it.
Only really early versions of android allowed apps to install on external storage. This is not a Huawei restriction. This is why I thought the Huawei tablet is useless. The external storage is of no help.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Dec 19, 2011
327 posts
131 upvotes
will888 wrote: Only really early versions of android allowed apps to install on external storage. This is not a Huawei restriction. This is why I thought the Huawei tablet is useless. The external storage is of no help.
Is the samsung tab A any better in this regard?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
srialva wrote: Is the samsung tab A any better in this regard?
As da man said: It's about Android version, NOT hardware...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Jan 16, 2019
5 posts
will888, do you have another cell phone plan? I have 2 data only plans for half a year. Just contact an agent, she said mine is ineligible because I do not have a postpaid cell plan. so she cannot give me promotion :(

Thanks
Nov 12, 2017
573 posts
987 upvotes
Saint John, NB
I currently have 3 GB with no other plans or lines with Fido. I asked if they would upgrade me to 4GB but said I would have to buy another line before they would consider it. This was done through chat.
I'll try again.
Jan 16, 2019
5 posts
will888, do you have another cell phone plan? I have 2 data only plans for half a year. Just contact an agent, she said mine is ineligible because I do not have a postpaid cell plan. so she cannot give me promotion :(

Thanks
Dec 19, 2011
327 posts
131 upvotes
max011 wrote: As da man said: It's about Android version, NOT hardware...

Thanks.

figured i would be better off returning the mediapad t5 and instead take the 8 inch samsung pad a (32gb internal storage vs 16gb on t5) given the shortcomings of t5.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
swordman2000 wrote: I hate to be a bother, but can someone be kind enough to let me know where in GTA North can I get such a plan activated as a non-Fido customer? I want a confirmed source as I spoken to a few Fido shop and they all denied me.
Go back to fido store with a Starbucks latte and try again.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29538 posts
20458 upvotes
PhuongThaoN92617 wrote: will888, do you have another cell phone plan? I have 2 data only plans for half a year. Just contact an agent, she said mine is ineligible because I do not have a postpaid cell plan. so she cannot give me promotion :(

Thanks
I have never been a Fido cellular customer ever. Back when obtained these data plans, I don't recall having a cellular plan being a requirement for getting the plans. Recently, there has been greater emphasis on this requirement. As I said, this requirement seems to be something that is enforced manually which means results can be YMMV as people here are reporting. If you don't like the answer you got from one agent, the next agent may give you a totally different one. That said, I have not asked for an upgrade from 3GB to 4GB plan. I can get by with 3GB for free, not greedy enough to push for 4GB. I will let the more energetic ones trail blaze a path that I may consider taking in the future if and when needed.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Feb 8, 2016
16 posts
11 upvotes
I had the 3GB plan for $15 for 100% discount for 1 year and it just expired this month. I called them and asked them for any promotions or if they can extend the 100% discount. They told me that the 100% discount is a one time thing so all they can offer is 50% off for 2 years. I said sure! But also asked about the 3GB to 4GB data plan they have right now. They opened a ticket for me in which they are going to transfer my 3G data plan to a 4G data plan for $15 and then manually add in the 50% discount. Told me to call back in 10 days to confirm that it was done.

2 days later: I got a text message from Fido saying that they gave me the 100% discount for 1 year !

Edit note: I only have 1 data plan with Fido and no phone plan. I spoke to them by phone and not by chat.
Nov 12, 2017
573 posts
987 upvotes
Saint John, NB
Tig623 wrote: I had the 3GB plan for $15 for 100% discount for 1 year and it just expired this month. I called them and asked them for any promotions or if they can extend the 100% discount. They told me that the 100% discount is a one time thing so all they can offer is 50% off for 2 years. I said sure! But also asked about the 3GB to 4GB data plan they have right now. They opened a ticket for me in which they are going to transfer my 3G data plan to a 4G data plan for $15 and then manually add in the 50% discount. Told me to call back in 10 days to confirm that it was done.

2 days later: I got a text message from Fido saying that they gave me the 100% discount for 1 year !

Edit note: I only have 1 data plan with Fido and no phone plan. I spoke to them by phone and not by chat.
Thanks. I'll try calling!
(I tried twice by chat to see if they could move me from the 3 GB to 4 GB and they said no.) They also said that the 4 GB plan is incompatible with the 100% discount)
Feb 8, 2016
16 posts
11 upvotes
stizarch wrote: Thanks. I'll try calling!
(I tried twice by chat to see if they could move me from the 3 GB to 4 GB and they said no.) They also said that the 4 GB plan is incompatible with the 100% discount)
Good luck! I wasn't even expecting the 100% discount cause he told me no. But I got the text from Fido confirming it. I might just call again just to make sure!
Sep 28, 2016
44 posts
14 upvotes
are you guys able to receive sms with this plan, i signed up last week and never got any sms, customer support / chat support all say your not suppose to be able to receive sms with the tablet plans but it seems some people have been ?
Nov 12, 2017
573 posts
987 upvotes
Saint John, NB
xjhones wrote: are you guys able to receive sms with this plan, i signed up last week and never got any sms, customer support / chat support all say your not suppose to be able to receive sms with the tablet plans but it seems some people have been ?
Then they are wrong. You can send and receive sms. You wouldn't want to send sms though, because it'd be expensive.
Sep 28, 2016
44 posts
14 upvotes
i was thinking that too , at least to receive text messages would be nice
Jun 1, 2002
580 posts
96 upvotes
stizarch wrote: Then they are wrong. You can send and receive sms. You wouldn't want to send sms though, because it'd be expensive.
I also am unable to receive SMS despite many, many phone calls to support.
Nov 12, 2017
573 posts
987 upvotes
Saint John, NB
Tig623 wrote: Good luck! I wasn't even expecting the 100% discount cause he told me no. But I got the text from Fido confirming it. I might just call again just to make sure!
In summary, I did 2 chats and 2 calls and finally I'll get 50% discount and upgrade from 3GB to 4GB.

The last call took me 1 hour.

Well, I'm satisfied.

Note, I was polite with every call. I didn't need to speak to a supervisor.
I simply advised that my discount was ending, asked if they could extend it or had anything better. 3 out of 4 times they said it couldn't be done and I thanked them for their time and ended the conversation.

I made all the calls/chats on the same day! I spaced them out by a few hours every time.
May 1, 2017
139 posts
314 upvotes
If you have old phone you can trade and get upto 100$ bill credit when You active or upgrade with tablet. Old working phone . Make sure its power on and no damage.
Trade will work only instore.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)