Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

3GB LTE Data Plan $15/mo + $10/mo per GB Overage

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2016 10:57 pm
Sep 6, 2012
586 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote:
Lag333 wrote:
Gee wrote:

Why would you pay for SMS when you can use an App like Hangouts?

1) I have a mac, an iPad Air 2 and I'm getting an iPhone. I know nothing about Google and I've played in that app, I have no idea what's going on or how to use it. If I'm not mistaken, I thought there was limited functionality on apple devices too. I also want my SMS to somehow go across all 3 of my apple devices.
2) I pay 15 for 3 gb. What's another 10 dollars for my convenience sake? 25 a month sounds great compared to even 38 for the PM promo plan.

Just my personal take on this. I understand not everyone's gonna agree.
I have an Android Tablet and an iPhone and Hangouts works just as well on the iPhone as it does on Android, if not better.

I'm not sure what confuses you, but it is pretty straight forward. The iPhone version includes the dialer which the Android version is missing. Go figure.
Only thing that if you own only iDevices, you wouldn't have the option to set Caller ID where as Android version of Hangout does.

One needs to download Hangout Dailer other Hangout app iteself for calling then either one will display both text and voice under separate tab in the same screen.
Jun 22, 2016
495 posts
381 upvotes
Not important
Gee wrote:
Lag333 wrote:
Gee wrote:

Why would you pay for SMS when you can use an App like Hangouts?

1) I have a mac, an iPad Air 2 and I'm getting an iPhone. I know nothing about Google and I've played in that app, I have no idea what's going on or how to use it. If I'm not mistaken, I thought there was limited functionality on apple devices too. I also want my SMS to somehow go across all 3 of my apple devices.
2) I pay 15 for 3 gb. What's another 10 dollars for my convenience sake? 25 a month sounds great compared to even 38 for the PM promo plan.

Just my personal take on this. I understand not everyone's gonna agree.
I have an Android Tablet and an iPhone and Hangouts works just as well on the iPhone as it does on Android, if not better.

I'm not sure what confuses you, but it is pretty straight forward. The iPhone version includes the dialer which the Android version is missing. Go figure.
It's not straight forward because that definition for me is to download, open the app and press Send SMS and it works. It doesn't. I decided to re-open hangouts and try to send a text message using my iPad. I don't even have a button that says "send SMS" I've clicked everywhere ! I can only regular message people that have hangouts downloaded. When I click on someone without hangouts, and click on their number, I get some pop up that says "Phone calls in hangouts" and no option to SMS them. Either way, I don't want to deal with this app because I'm not willing to spend 20 min trying to get this thing working. I don't even know the difference between google voice and hangouts. And I'm so sure there are people in the same boat as me. I can afford the convenience cost to use apples native messaging app to stop my huge frustration of google hangouts. That money is well spent if it stops that feeling and the need to problem solve. I'm sure somebody out there understands.
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
Anyone successfully got call id display add-on on this plan? I don't mind paying extra for it, at least I know who calls me in case of emergency.
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB Tablet Plan
Jan 2, 2004
86 posts
30 upvotes
Hi
i called Fido and they said this is only for those who buy a tablet.
Anybody work around this?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
Why -4 now. Isn't it as good as previous thread?
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote: Why -4 now. Isn't it as good as previous thread?
People are annoyed at having to buy the tablet I think. A bit sad really, even with the tablet purchase it's still easily the best low cost data service available, even if you account for the lackluster providers with bad coverage/service like Mobilicity. Considering it includes LTE data *shrugs*. Assume you sell the tablet for $175 or $200 , you take a whopping $40-75 hit to be on a super low cost service plan ? By example, I am paying $40/mo for 1GB data +400minutes/mo , but I only really *care* about the data, which I was getting ~$80/yr in overages. I *maybe* make 3-4 cell phone calls a month. Even if I didn't push those calls via VOIP and paid the $1/call that's still a considerable annual savings.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Starting now until January the deal isn't bad if you are looking for an iPad Air 2. You can get the ipad for $329 if you trade in these devices:

Apple iPhone 4 (or newer), Samsung GS4 (or newer), HTC One M8 (or newer), BlackBerry Q10/Z10 (or newer), Sony Xperia Z3 (or newer), Moto X Play (or newer), LG G3 (or newer), Nexus 5 (or newer), Alcatel One Touch Pixi 3, Alcatel One Touch Pop D3, Alcatel One Touch Idol 3, Huawei Ascend G7, Huawei Ascend Mate2 and Huawei Ascend Y336.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions ... riday_iPad

So some math:
$329 for iPad
$360 for 3gb a month for 24 months (15x24)
-$25 Referral Credit
Total $664 or $27.67 per month for 3gb of data and a cellular 32 gb iPad Air 2. Not bad.
Oct 1, 2013
288 posts
64 upvotes
EDMONTON
dgnr8 wrote: Starting now until January the deal isn't bad if you are looking for an iPad Air 2. You can get the ipad for $329 if you trade in these devices:

Apple iPhone 4 (or newer), Samsung GS4 (or newer), HTC One M8 (or newer), BlackBerry Q10/Z10 (or newer), Sony Xperia Z3 (or newer), Moto X Play (or newer), LG G3 (or newer), Nexus 5 (or newer), Alcatel One Touch Pixi 3, Alcatel One Touch Pop D3, Alcatel One Touch Idol 3, Huawei Ascend G7, Huawei Ascend Mate2 and Huawei Ascend Y336.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions ... riday_iPad
I was just about to add this as I traded in my dust collecting BB Z10 and got $120 out of it. My final bill is $439 - $120 +GST = $334.95
self referred and will get my $50 in 3 months.

I bought an iPad Mini 32 GB WIFI from COSTCO for the same price in September.
My buddy missed the $15 3GB deal in October. This month the 3GB deal came back but he didn't need a tablet, he had to settle for the regular 3GB $25/mth data plan, which still save him a bundle from his Robers $60/mth 3 GB talk text data so called Business Plan.

Today we split the savings. Mind you my iPad Air 2 is locked to FIDO, how much is it to unlock?
Removed by the RFD Moderation Team
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
This plan would rock even more if Fido allow for Caller ID to be added on!
Sep 3, 2010
334 posts
402 upvotes
so this caught my attention: For a limited time, get an iPad Air 2 for just $439 (regular price $639) when you sign up on a 2-year 3GB plan1. Plus, save an extra $100 when you trade in select devices2 — for a total savings of $300! Now that’s a deal worth bragging about." so an even an Apple iphone 4 can receive $100 extra discount? Usually it will say "up to" but this time i don't see "Up to $100" so does every device in that list automatically qualifies for extra $100? If so this is very good deal!
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
Read the full details. I asked a rep today if I could trade a Core LTE with broken display. He didn't say no I just wouldn't get much credit. I'm going to check at a store tomorrow. I really want this deal and even at $439 it's still decent. Works out to around 37 month with taxes.

https://www.fido.ca/cms/fido/pdf/promot ... ied_en.pdf
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
burungkakak wrote: I was just about to add this as I traded in my dust collecting BB Z10 and got $120 out of it. My final bill is $439 - $120 +GST = $334.95

My buddy missed the $15 3GB deal in October. This month the 3GB deal came back but he didn't need a tablet, he had to settle for the regular 3GB $25/mth data plan, which still save him a bundle from his Robers $60/mth 3 GB talk text data so called Business Plan.

Today we split the savings. Mind you my iPad Air 2 is locked to FIDO, how much is it to unlock?
So you got more than $100 trade in? I found that weird it doesn't say anywhere *up to $100 credit. I was told they just use an online tool to calculate amount and depending on condition. Can the trade in be done at Costco?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
nhsadika wrote: Hi
i called Fido and they said this is only for those who buy a tablet.
Anybody work around this?
There actually is a workaround for this but you need to find a willing fido rep that knows what he's doing at a store. There's a way to trick it so it thinks you have EasyPay but you don't. The rep just needs to select EasyPay (no term) and you can get it but huge YMMV. There's also chance of fido auditing but since this is not a huge issue, doubt they would.
Oct 1, 2013
288 posts
64 upvotes
EDMONTON
datacat wrote: So you got more than $100 trade in? I found that weird it doesn't say anywhere *up to $100 credit. I was told they just use an online tool to calculate amount and depending on condition. Can the trade in be done at Costco?
Yes, the trade in value is $100 + whatever their tool thinks your trade in device is worth. My Z10 is worth $20. The tool is here: http://www.fido.ca/web/content/whyfido/fidotrade

I didn't try COSTCO, a good idea to try it there for no hassle return within 90 days.
Removed by the RFD Moderation Team
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
burungkakak wrote: I was just about to add this as I traded in my dust collecting BB Z10 and got $120 out of it. My final bill is $439 - $120 +GST = $334.95

I think all iPads are unlocked.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
burungkakak wrote: Yes, the trade in value is $100 + whatever their tool thinks your trade in device is worth. My Z10 is worth $20. The tool is here: http://www.fido.ca/web/content/whyfido/fidotrade

I didn't try COSTCO, a good idea to try it there for no hassle return within 90 days.
Thanks for that info. I'm new to Fido. Just setup 2 lines on the promo now looking to add iPad and 3gb :) Will check with Costco tomorrow. Might not have anything for trade value but still a good deal. Cheers!
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
Tool gave offer of 170 for my S7. 45 for Moto X Play. 10 for an old Ace2x and nothing for a Core LTE or Pixi 3 which are both on the eligible devices list. Doesn't appear to be very accurate.
May 10, 2007
48 posts
15 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Just signed up for this entirely online; thanks OP.

I bought the tablet outright; I'll invariably unlock it and sell it on kijiji.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)