Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
Some store will do it, depends who is working
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1512 posts
2736 upvotes
TwitchyPuppy wrote: You NEED a postpaid wireless plan with them.
Wrong. Their system allows sign up without a postpaid wireless plan, the enforcement is based on the agent you're dealing with. Some of these agents work for 3rd parties and is commissioned, they will disregard the "rules" and help you sign up anyways, that's how people are getting this plan without a postpaid talk/text service.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
TwitchyPuppy wrote: Huh? What do you mean "Or yes?". You NEED a postpaid wireless plan with them.
My friend, there are 5400+ messages above. Don't expect you to have read all of them, but also, don't make bold statements like this without doing so. Many, many confirmed cases to label you totally wrong.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Nov 7, 2016
237 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
isgaard wrote: Wrong. Their system allows sign up without a postpaid wireless plan, the enforcement is based on the agent you're dealing with. Some of these agents work for 3rd parties and is commissioned, they will disregard the "rules" and help you sign up anyways, that's how people are getting this plan without a postpaid talk/text service.
It’s YMMV. But otherwise, if they good by the book, you need a postpaid cell plan with them.
max011 wrote: My friend, there are 5400+ messages above. Don't expect you to have read all of them, but also, don't make bold statements like this without doing so. Many, many confirmed cases to label you totally wrong.
I made a “bold” statement based on my experience with them, from friends and family AND from what’s stated on Fido’s website. So I’m not wrong, that’s how it is, unless some agents are willing to make an exception.
Please fill out this field.
Apr 25, 2017
912 posts
838 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TwitchyPuppy wrote: It’s YMMV. But otherwise, if they good by the book, you need a postpaid cell plan with them.

I made a “bold” statement based on my experience with them, from friends and family AND from what’s stated on Fido’s website. So I’m not wrong, that’s how it is, unless some agents are willing to make an exception.
go to the markville mall, the fido store could easily set you up without a postpaid cellphone plan.
Apr 25, 2018
1 posts
Thanks OP, just got the plan at the Eaton Centre Fido store. I was not previously a Fido customer. Just walked in and asked for the plan. Got it done in 15 min.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TwitchyPuppy wrote: I made a “bold” statement based on my experience with them, from friends and family AND from what’s stated on Fido’s website. So I’m not wrong, that’s how it is, unless some agents are willing to make an exception.
You made a "bold" statement in a 5,000+ posts thread, where a dominant issue that has come up 100s of times is whether you really need to be a Fido customer to get this deal. The consensus, also repeated 100s of times is that no matter what Fido says, in practice it's a YMMV situation. It's that "boldness" in contradicting the multitudes who know otherwise, also from personal experience, that resulted in the negative reaction.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 30, 2006
574 posts
158 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…
TwitchyPuppy wrote: It’s YMMV. But otherwise, if they good by the book, you need a postpaid cell plan with them.

I can confirm this , I got my plant without postpaid cell plan at Markville Mall in Marmham 2 month ago, easy setup ,no question ask
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Any recommended place in Calgary area that will sign up users without a postpaid voice plan?
Mar 7, 2011
267 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary
RFDQ1016 wrote: Any recommended place in Calgary area that will sign up users without a postpaid voice plan?
I was successful in getting the plan at Market Mall in Calgary. No previous history with Fido, nor did they even ask. I'm currently on the Fido 3GB plan paying $0 per month for a year and I also go the LG tablet when I signed up. On top of not paying anything for a year, my device balance is still going down by $14 every month.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
erexa wrote: I am just missing. Fido's website doesn't show any tablet for $0 on the plan. How can we get this and yet another $100 GC from bestbuy?
Mr. Kidd:
If at first you don't succeed Mr. Wint...?

Mr. Wint:
Try, try again, Mr. Kidd.

(C) ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
Tempted to jump back on this, how did everyone avoid getting dinged with random texts and callets from unknown numbers?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2896 posts
2002 upvotes
GTA
Any luck with free LGPad 4 tablet for 0$ and 100/50$ gift card???

If any1 in GTA got it recently then please post here..
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: Tempted to jump back on this, how did everyone avoid getting dinged with random texts and callets from unknown numbers?
I tried to disable incoming calls ONLY (that's what mostly brings you additional charges of $1 from time to time), but apparently that was not possible.
They said I have to disable everything (voice and text, in and out). I still want to keep text in and out, and voice out, just as an extra safety measure.

I know it has been discussed at length in the past, but I do not remember what was the conclusion.

Can anyone refresh whats up with this issue now?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
Tichi wrote: I tried to disable incoming calls ONLY (that's what mostly brings you additional charges of $1 from time to time), but apparently that was not possible.
They said I have to disable everything (voice and text, in and out). I still want to keep text in and out, and voice out, just as an extra safety measure.

I know it has been discussed at length in the past, but I do not remember what was the conclusion.

Can anyone refresh whats up with this issue now?
I personally closed my account after I got $40 and $30 for 2 months from ghost calls unknown numbers.

iPhones cannot disable that
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
xdreamoz wrote: I was successful in getting the plan at Market Mall in Calgary. No previous history with Fido, nor did they even ask. I'm currently on the Fido 3GB plan paying $0 per month for a year and I also go the LG tablet when I signed up. On top of not paying anything for a year, my device balance is still going down by $14 every month.
How long ago did you get it?
Nov 19, 2017
511 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
MichaelYYZ wrote: Bad news from the CRTC this morning in regard to the Government still not requiring the Robelus trio to alow MVNOs on their networks. However, there is another shimmer of hope, whatever this may mean:

"The regulator also announced Bell Mobility, Rogers and Telus will have to provide low-cost, data-only wireless plans to all Canadians. Such plans would not include talk and text."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellpho ... -1.4588327
Here are the big three's proposals in response to the CRTC's rule to provide low-cost data-only wireless plans.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/25/goog ... nly-plans/

What can we expect from them?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
slpless wrote: Here are the big three's proposals in response to the CRTC's rule to provide low-cost data-only wireless plans.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/25/goog ... nly-plans/

What can we expect from them?
Rogers’ submission — $25/400MB
Bell’s submission — $30/500MB
Telus’s submission — $30/500MB

Seriously!???????? What is this circus!?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: I personally closed my account after I got $40 and $30 for 2 months from ghost calls unknown numbers.

iPhones cannot disable that
Why did not you just diasble all voice and text (via calling Fido, nothing to do with the phone brand?)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)