Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Sep 20, 2003
669 posts
280 upvotes
Burnaby
jwc134 wrote: Did you have an existing line with them before? I want to chat with a rep to see if they can waive the 45 connection fee, but I didn't previously have any lines with Fido, so I'm concerned the rep might try to close my account or something.
u only get the setup fee waived if it was agreed to when you signed up. they leave a note on ur account and the agent looks that up when ur first bill comes to take it off.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
Jedric wrote: Signed up the other day via chat and got the Tab 8.4, sales rep said Tab8.4 is $0 and data discount $10/24months and waived the connection fee as well.

Got the contract today the $10 discount is not on it, also showing $45 connection fee.

Im assuming it will be credited on the bill but not shown on contract? Can someone please confirm...
So you signed up for this deal via chat? Do/did you already have an account with them to get this deal? I'd rather not have to go to Walmart, Best Buy, etc to get this with Christmas shoppers and Covid. What was chat rep like when you asked for this? Thanks.
Jan 28, 2008
288 posts
316 upvotes
townie22 wrote: So you signed up for this deal via chat? Do/did you already have an account with them to get this deal? I'd rather not have to go to Walmart, Best Buy, etc to get this with Christmas shoppers and Covid. What was chat rep like when you asked for this? Thanks.
I did chat twice 1st one failed. That was thru CONTACT US. ASKJACK. 2nd one was where I got the deal. SHOP->Tablet -> Chat is at the Top of the page. I believe this is takes you to sales team vs customer service on CONTACT US.

Already have an existing cell line and one tablet line. Since she said its $10 discount on data and waived $45 agreed on a new line.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1070 posts
164 upvotes
coolman217 wrote: Was anyone able to renew their 3GB/$15 legacy plan with a free tablet?
I asked over Live Chat last year.

The agent said since I had no main voice & data line with them:
- can't change my 3GB legacy plan to 4GB plan (or give me a new tablet on a new 2-yr contract)
- offered to give 50% discount on $15 for two years to compensate the inability of switching my plan to the 4GB one.

I think some people managed to get 100% discount on their legacy plans without having a main voice+data line with Fido but I personally had no luck with that after multiple attempts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
uruha wrote: I asked over Live Chat last year.

The agent said since I had no main voice & data line with them:
- can't change my 3GB legacy plan to 4GB plan (or give me a new tablet on a new 2-yr contract)
- offered to give 50% discount on $15 for two years to compensate the inability of switching my plan to the 4GB one.

I think some people managed to get 100% discount on their legacy plans without having a main voice+data line with Fido but I personally had no luck with that after multiple attempts.
You can:

-Get $10/4GB "new" data plan online as an "existing customer" [no set-up fee];

-Combine it with one of the tablets that give you $5 discount, so you get 4GB for $5 plan plus free tablet => cheaper & better then what you have right now

- Cancel your 3GB/$15 legacy plan [at that point they will, almost certainly, offer you 100% off on that line] EDIT: Or, just keep both lines.
Last edited by max011 on Dec 3rd, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
max011 wrote: -Get $10/4GB "new" data plan online as an "existing customer" [no set-up fee];
-Combine it with one of the tablets that give you $5 discount, so you get 4GB for $5 plan plus free tablet => cheaper & better then what you have right now
- Cancel your 3GB/$15 legacy plan [at that point they will, almost certainly, offer you 100% off on that line]
The combine with free tablet + 5$ off can also be done online?
Even if you don't have a regular line (ie only the 3GB/15$ data plan)?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1070 posts
164 upvotes
max011 wrote: You can:

-Get $10/4GB "new" data plan online as an "existing customer" [no set-up fee];

- Cancel your 3GB/$15 legacy plan [at that point they will, almost certainly, offer you 100% off on that line]
done that a few weeks back~ the thing is though.. the original line has to be cancelled if one wants to go this route~
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
superbigjay wrote: The combine with free tablet + 5$ off can also be done online?
Even if you don't have a regular line (ie only the 3GB/15$ data plan)?
Just did it last month and now I have (3+4)= 7GB + tablet for $5/month....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
uruha wrote: done that a few weeks back~ the thing is though.. the original line has to be cancelled if one wants to go this route~
Negative.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
paulwiser wrote: Does anyone know if the 100% off deal can still be obtained?
That's not a deal, it's a retention discount the has always been YMMV depending on your own account.
Jan 29, 2008
465 posts
69 upvotes
For those who are using this as their main cell phone data plan, paired with a cheap talk and text plan, how is it working? Any hiccups at all? I’m on Zoomer 5gb for 36 plus tax = 40 month, but this Fido route seems more attractive. Thanks.
Here for a solid deal
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
max011 wrote: Negative.
I think he meant to say "if you have no use for a second line". Not every one will get lucky with a 100% off retention offer so he would still need to cancel/port out the original non-discounted line.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
fix23 wrote: For those who are using this as their main cell phone data plan, paired with a cheap talk and text plan, how is it working? Any hiccups at all? I’m on Zoomer 5gb for 36 plus tax = 40 month, but this Fido route seems more attractive. Thanks.
Depends only on your pain tolerance level...

All works just fine, no data outages [but sometimes not the great signal quality either, depending on your location...]

I would not go "Voip only" way cuz i value [at least some!] of my calls, but little supplemental like PM for $13 or such will do wanders.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
aasoror wrote: I think he meant to say "if you have no use for a second line". Not every one will get lucky with a 100% off retention offer so he would still need to cancel/port out the original non-discounted line.
No, actually, I wanted to say [but was in a hurry!] that statement "~ the thing is though.. the original line has to be cancelled if one wants to go this route~ " is NOT true...
Last edited by max011 on Dec 4th, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
fix23 wrote: For those who are using this as their main cell phone data plan, paired with a cheap talk and text plan, how is it working? Any hiccups at all? I’m on Zoomer 5gb for 36 plus tax = 40 month, but this Fido route seems more attractive. Thanks.
There should be no hiccups if you are getting your voice/text from a different line, the challenges are for those going full data using VoIP for main voice/text and for feedback about that setup check the tech discussion thread linked in the OP.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
max011 wrote: No, actually, I wanted to say [but was in a hurry!] that statement "~ the thing is though.. the original line has to be cancelled if one wants to go this route~ " is NOT true...
Well depends on how you interpret "has to be cancelled" if you mean "you are forced to cancel it" then indeed that's not true, but I don't think that's what he meant, you can certainly keep the line open but if the idea to to effectively "upgrade" the data line (you start with one and end up with one after all is said and done) then yes you need to cancel the original (which was indeed the 3rd step in the process you outlined).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
aasoror wrote: Well depends on how you interpret "has to be cancelled" if you mean "you are forced to cancel it" then indeed that's not true, but I don't think that's what he meant, you can certainly keep the line open but if the idea to to effectively "upgrade" the data line (you start with one and end up with one after all is said and done) then yes you need to cancel the original (which was indeed the 3rd step in the process you outlined).
Right, every thing could be seen from different angles..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
*** FYI folks, looks like there is a referral [$50] thing going on @ Fido at the moment! ***

Edit: Please DO NOT ask for referrals in Thread!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)