Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: I have a question for those who plan on keeping/adding the tablet contract. I assume most of you are going to use the sim in your phone. What are you going to do when Fido decides to reinforce the sim-in-tablet-only rule, like everyone else? Don't you think this will be their next move?
I will just have to find pants with pockets big enough to fit my iPad7 Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Thrasher wrote: I will just have to find pants with pockets big enough to fit my iPad7 Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I will just tell Fido that the largest tablet that fits in my pockets has a 5" screen :twisted:
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
I don't really trust them anymore, who knows what changes they'll continue to make down the road, like Bell does with their contracts.
Feb 17, 2017
75 posts
46 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: :facepalm:

Best look to the industry's federal regulator for a reliable understanding of your rights as a wireless consumer, what is permissible, and what is correct.
Since Aug 4 there have been a number of posts in this thread identifying and explaining the relevant legislation, clearly and carefully.
CRTC Wireless Code
I read all of that earlier in the week. The problem I have is that I have had the experience where I can read something directly to a representative in person, right off of their own web site, and have them deny it applies (to be fair, it is Bell / Virgin that has burned me the most in that way). I'm not sure I could believe Fido would automatically honour their legal responsibilities, even if a rep confirmed that they would. Only if October arrives and my plan hasn't changed would the nagging doubt I have go away. I don't like being pessimistic and paranoid, but my experiences have made me this way. Hopefully they prove me wrong. If not, well, it's still my problem that I've been unable to let it go lol...
Feb 17, 2017
75 posts
46 upvotes
rdfnewbe wrote: Is your recent ZTE financed plan affected?
I asked that point blank, and got a non-answer, "I'll send your concerns in and you can check back in next week."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
townie22 wrote: I don't really trust them anymore, who knows what changes they'll continue to make down the road, like Bell does with their contracts.
That's the whole point. What Fido doing now is questionable but making the sim tablet only is totally legit. By then, some will be stuck with multiple sims or have to bail by paying the balance for subpar tablets. People who tried to game the system are now being gamed.
Jul 19, 2010
885 posts
566 upvotes
Calgary
so with the new sign up on a Tablet plan, the plan is m2m but the financing is a 24 months? Couldn't fido say sorry bud, with 30 days notice, we are changing your 4gb data only plan, but you are still on the hook for the tablet ?
Apr 19, 2014
296 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have two accounts, both on the $10/mo - 4GB plan.

Account 1 NO tablet hardware contract associated with it, and was switched to this plan in July 2020 with a 100% discount until July 2022.

Account 2 CPO Huawei Tablet, from July 2020 to July 2022, paying $5 + HST.

I had chatted with 2 reps online last week after the e-mail was sent. They each gave me conflicting information to one another.

One advised both accounts are getting switched to $15/mo 250MB Plan and all discounts disappearing (including the one with the hardware contract). I immediately filed a CCTS complaint at the end of this chat.

I contacted chat a day later, and this rep advised Account #1 will be changed to $15 250MB plan with discount wiped away (I was OK with cancelling anyway), while Account #2 will be switched 250MB plan, but discount will remain on account ($5/mo for 250MB until July 22).
Not happy, but at least I'm only on the hook for $5/mo for 11 more months to pay off the tablet, instead of the $160 hardware balance.

Moments ago, I just received a call from FIDO indicating the following:
Account #1 (100% discounted, no hardware contract) will indeed be changed to $15/mo 250MB plan -- if I wanted to keep it, which I chose not to. Cancelled the account before the call ended.
Account #2 ($5/mo for Tablet + 4GB until July 2022) will NOT CHANGE. It will remain unaffected until the end of the term. At the end of the term, it will be in the same position as account #1.

Overall, the communication was terribly poor, but the decision is fair IMO.
Last edited by 8iNetworks on Aug 10th, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 19, 2010
885 posts
566 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the update, but if you wanted to, You could have ordered another tablet on a new 4gb plan while canceling account #1?
ThiruIO wrote: I have two accounts, both on the $10/mo - 4GB plan.

Account 1 NO tablet hardware contract associated with it, and was switched to this plan in July 2020 with a 100% discount until July 2022.

Account 2 CPO Huawei Tablet, from July 2020 to July 2022, paying $5 + HST.

I had chatted with 2 reps online last week after the e-mail was sent. They each gave me conflicting information to one another.

One advised both accounts are getting switched to $15/mo 250MB Plan and all discounts disappearing (including the one with the hardware contract). I immediately filed a CCTS complaint at the end of this chat.

I contacted chat a day later, and this rep advised Account #1 will be changed to $15 250MB plan with discount wiped away (I was OK with cancelling anyway), while Account #2 will be switched 250MB plan, but discount will remain on account ($5/mo for 250MB until July 22).
Not happy, but at least I'm only on the hook for $5/mo for 11 more months to pay off the tablet, instead of the $160 hardware balance.

Account #1 (100% discounted, no hardware contract) will indeed be changed to $15/mo 250MB plan -- if I wanted to keep it, which I chose not to. Cancelled the account before the call ended.
Account #2 ($5/mo for Tablet + 4GB until July 2022) will NOT CHANGE. It will remain unaffected until the end of the term. At the end of the term, it will be in the same position as account #1.

Overall, the communication was terribly poor, the decision is fair IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: That's the whole point. What Fido doing now is questionable but making the sim tablet only is totally legit. By then, some will be stuck with multiple sims or have to bail by paying the balance for subpar tablets. People who tried to game the system are now being gamed.
Just a thought but are cell phone operators even legally able to discriminate the service based on the device? I mean we are not doing any calls / texts on these plans. Why would it matter what device the SIM is in? Wouldn't CCTS back us up if they start enforcing the tablet rule?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ThiruIO wrote: I had chatted with 2 reps online last week after the e-mail was sent. They each gave me conflicting information to one another.
Nothing new here. The only constant with Fido and these various data-only plans and tablet+data promos is that they're YMMV.
Presumably that call was the result of your submission to CCTS. If so then this call would have come from a senior rep. They would be familiar with Fido's current campaign to devalue the data-only plans for those who don't also have voice/text plans. So it's reasonable to conclude that this interpretation is the authoritative one.

It would be nice to get that interpretation in writing, ideally with the name or employee number of the agent who made it.
Overall, the communication was terribly poor, the decision is fair IMO.
Agreed.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 19, 2014
296 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bylo wrote: Nothing new here. The only constant with Fido and these various data-only plans and tablet+data promos is that they're YMMV.

Presumably that call was the result of your submission to CCTS. If so then this call would have come from a senior rep. They would be familiar with Fido's current campaign to devalue the data-only plans for those who don't also have voice/text plans. So it's reasonable to conclude that this interpretation is the authoritative one.

It would be nice to get that interpretation in writing, ideally with the name or employee number of the agent who made it.

Agreed.
I asked the lady who called if this was a result of my CCTS complaint, she had no idea what I was talking about.
She said it was because of me chatting multiple times, and they went through the chat transcripts of both interactions.

And, I just got an e-mail from CCTS asking me for additional information -- so I don't believe the CCTS complaint reached FIDO yet my complaint was incomplete.
TBH, my CCTS complaint was very rushed, more venting than actual documented, resolution seeking complaint. LOL.

I just replied to CCTS to close my complaint as I'm happy with FIDO's response.

I did get her name, department and an interaction number at the end of the call.
Apr 19, 2014
296 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto, ON
drtmrcht wrote: Thanks for the update, but if you wanted to, You could have ordered another tablet on a new 4gb plan while canceling account #1?
Why would I order another tablet?
My kids barely use this one.
Mar 16, 2020
89 posts
102 upvotes
There it is, folks. Received the e-mail after all for my 3GB plan from 2017. Will be contacting them to cancel outright and will consider returning to a Telus corporate EPP plan.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
jfryton wrote: There it is, folks. Received the e-mail after all for my 3GB plan from 2017. Will be contacting them to cancel outright and will consider returning to a Telus corporate EPP plan.
So emails are still going out...... :(
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5437 upvotes
Sell it ?
ThiruIO wrote: Why would I order another tablet?
My kids barely use this one.
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ThiruIO wrote: I asked the lady who called if this was a result of my CCTS complaint, she had no idea what I was talking about.
She said it was because of me chatting multiple times, and they went through the chat transcripts of both interactions.

And, I just got an e-mail from CCTS asking me for additional information -- so I don't believe the CCTS complaint reached FIDO yet my complaint was incomplete.
TBH, my CCTS complaint was very rushed, more venting than actual documented, resolution seeking complaint. LOL.

I just replied to CCTS to close my complaint as I'm happy with FIDO's response.

I did get her name, department and an interaction number at the end of the call.
Thanks for the clarification. It would seem that your chats got enough of someone's attention to warrant a call back. So that suggests she's more senior than the average chat agent. Now that you have her name, etc. you're good to go--at least until the 24 month period ends.

Again, thanks for sharing. This is good news for those of us with tablet+data plans.
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 16, 2020
89 posts
102 upvotes
townie22 wrote: So emails are still going out...... :(
Sorry, I should clarify that it was sorted and buried in my Gmail from 6 days ago. I only found it by searching "Fido". But it's my understanding that it pretty much applies to everyone with the 3GB plan off contract. Still chatting with them right now.
Last edited by jfryton on Aug 10th, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 28, 2018
215 posts
115 upvotes
bylo wrote: Thanks for the clarification. It would seem that your chats got enough of someone's attention to warrant a call back. So that suggests she's more senior than the average chat agent. Now that you have her name, etc. you're good to go--at least until the 24 month period ends.

Again, thanks for sharing. This is good news for those of us with tablet+data plans.
Hopefully another good news about coming for newly signed tablet+data plans after Aug.4. It seems no confirmation yet these new contract will be executed for next 24 month
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1262 posts
473 upvotes
Winnipeg
jfryton wrote: Sorry, I should clarify that it was sorted and buried in my Gmail from 6 days ago. I only found it by searching "Fido". But it's my understanding is that it pretty much applies to everyone with the 3GB plan off contract. Still chatting with them right now.
Whew -'6 days ago' ... you had me worried for a minute there where I assumed you meant you had just gotten the email.

A reminder - allow 'popup's' from the fido.ca website - so that when you end your chat - you will get a popup asking if you want an emailed copy of your chat session. I like to keep copies of these sessions in case the agent tells me one thing - and later on another agent tells me something else.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

sthunter