Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $10, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2020 2:05 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20787 posts
12086 upvotes
Kitchener
Thrasher wrote: Does anyone know if the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4 is the 2020 model? Also, does it come unlocked and if not, how hard is it to get it unlocked?
Yes and Yes.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Thrasher wrote: Also, does it come unlocked and if not, how hard is it to get it unlocked?
All cell devices sold in Canada since Dec17 have been unlocked by CRTC fiat.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 24, 2020
7 posts
Has anyone been able to activate this data only line with Fido without any mobile line, through Facebook messenger chat with a Fido rep please?

And if so, how to go about it please?
Last edited by ReDdErJGD on Oct 26th, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ReDdErJGD wrote: Can a new Fido’s data only line work in a smartphone nowadays please?
Absolutely! It's always worked. [You must have Fido confused with Virgin.]
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2295 posts
591 upvotes
I recently opened a new data line. I already have had 2 other lines for years. One of them is already on 50% loyalty discount. Could I phone /chat right now and ask for a loyalty discount for my other old line that I am paying full price for? Or do I have to wait a few months because I recently opened a third line?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Thrasher wrote: Could I phone /chat right now and ask for a loyalty discount for my other old line that I am paying full price for?
You have nothing to lose by trying.
Or do I have to wait a few months because I recently opened a third line?
Opening a new line should have nothing to do with eligibility for a discount on an existing line.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 6, 2010
464 posts
868 upvotes
Toronto
Thrasher wrote: I recently opened a new data line. I already have had 2 other lines for years. One of them is already on 50% loyalty discount. Could I phone /chat right now and ask for a loyalty discount for my other old line that I am paying full price for? Or do I have to wait a few months because I recently opened a third line?
Back in July, I added a 3rd line and requested (& received) 100% discount on my two old lines about a week later. The old lines had 50% discount before that.
i am upside down
Oct 24, 2020
7 posts
A Fido rep on Facebook Messenger wrote that the only way to waive the $45 activation fee is for the customer to activate a new account online on Fido.ca.

Has anyone else been able to get this data only plan without any other mobile plan, and have the activation fee waived please? And if so, how to go about it please?
Oct 27, 2016
933 posts
462 upvotes
GTA
ReDdErJGD wrote: A Fido rep on Facebook Messenger wrote that the only way to waive the $45 activation fee is for the customer to activate a new account online on Fido.ca.

Has anyone else been able to get this data only plan without any other mobile plan, and have the activation fee waived please? And if so, how to go about it please?
I had a data only plan and then signed up online for another data only plan. Activation fee waived
______________________________________________________________________________________________

cheap phone bill = Public Mobile 13$ + 3GB data only eSIM plan 0$ + Google Pixel 3a XL
Oct 24, 2020
7 posts
ryanrudolf wrote: I had a data only plan and then signed up online for another data only plan. Activation fee waived
Thank you so very much for your prompt response.

For your first data only plan, did you get it without any other mobile plan, and with the activation fee waived please? And if so, how did you go about it please? Many thanks for your help.
Oct 27, 2016
933 posts
462 upvotes
GTA
ReDdErJGD wrote: Thank you so very much for your prompt response.

For your first data only plan, did you get it without any other mobile plan, and with the activation fee waived please? And if so, how did you go about it please? Many thanks for your help.
My first data only plan i did it many Black Fridays ago via in-store. Signed up for cheapest BYOD talk/text plan then get the data only plan. Cancelled the talk/text plan the next day. Activation fee was waived too as it was a black Friday promotion back then
______________________________________________________________________________________________

cheap phone bill = Public Mobile 13$ + 3GB data only eSIM plan 0$ + Google Pixel 3a XL
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4577 posts
6227 upvotes
Vancouver
ryanrudolf wrote: I had a data only plan and then signed up online for another data only plan. Activation fee waived
Same. Didn't even see any activation fees...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20787 posts
12086 upvotes
Kitchener
ReDdErJGD wrote: Thank you so very much for your prompt response.

Read OP and thread summary, all info you need to sign up with/without an existing line is detailed there.
Good luck!
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20787 posts
12086 upvotes
Kitchener
max011 wrote: Same. Didn't even see any activation fees...
That's not specific to the data plan, any plan you activate on your own (online) has no activation fees. Anything you do over the phone/ online chat/ in store will incur activation fees (unless you talk your way out of it).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)