Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 8:48 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1391 posts
317 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 6:16 pm
Hey, Folks, I logged in the Fido My Account today,
and noticed that my plan changed from

Tablet Promotion $10/month
to
Tablet Promotion $0/month

Not that I'm against such a change, quite au contraire,
but I'm curious why is that and if anyone else sees it as well?
Yes I posted about it a few pages ago. I have a feeling it's related to how they're changing the setup.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2539 posts
2953 upvotes
SylvainQC wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 7:18 pm
Any one got it today without having a Fido cellphone?
Shouldn't be an issue. I activated one today for a customer and one for myself 2 days ago and neither of us were Fido customers before
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
May 28, 2007
216 posts
4 upvotes
Burnaby
Not a standalone plan. Stores may still give it to you as standalone.
Screenshot_2017-02-04-16-51-56.png
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1389 posts
683 upvotes
From what I have seen no stores are enforcing existing clients
But even if they were

Activate a postpaid line with Fido
Add on the second line (data 3GB for $15)
Go home and cancel first line (0 days use = $0 billed to you for this, and most stores give free SIM if you ask anyways)
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
kav2001c wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 10:21 pm
From what I have seen no stores are enforcing existing clients
But even if they were

Activate a postpaid line with Fido
Add on the second line (data 3GB for $15)
Go home and cancel first line (0 days use = $0 billed to you for this, and most stores give free SIM if you ask anyways)
Exactly, though $15 activation is not refundable.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
Androidmarshmellow wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 7:23 pm
I got that as well.

Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan
$15.00

I hope they didn't screw up my plan. I had it dinner December
It wouldn't exactly be a screw up, seems they are unifying billing, dropped the stupid "$10 base plan charge + $10 contract discount" only overhead coming out of it.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
netusername wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 10:58 am
Hmm. Since the restrictions have increased to getting this offer now and the thread is always being bumped up, maybe we could move this to ongoing deals? Just a thought.
Seems they added the restriction and forgot to tell the stores to enforce it. deal is still on ;)
Dec 24, 2016
119 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Fongo's servers are in Ontario but the service works well worldwide as long as you've got access to a good Internet connection. Tried by me from different parts of the world. Also, I've got friends in Europe using Fongo with no issues. We are all on iOS.
Lugia77 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 4:05 am
I'm getting impression that FONGO is bad from what I've read since their servers are in Eastern Canada and I'm in Vancity. Plus I don't believe these services offer picture/video messaging either.
Mar 7, 2011
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Update: i manged to chat with 2 online reps today Feb 5th:

the first rep said I have to be an exisitng customer to sign up with the 3g tablet plan, then I disconnected.

Connected again to a second rep and signed up with no problems. Thanks Op
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1137 upvotes
The most shocking part of this thread is that there are still people on rfd who haven't signed up for this.

This deal started in August, why have people waited so long?
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
derekc85 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 5:39 pm
Update: i manged to chat with 2 online reps today Feb 5th:

the first rep said I have to be an exisitng customer to sign up with the 3g tablet plan, then I disconnected.

Connected again to a second rep and signed up with no problems. Thanks Op
Congrats, thanks for the update.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 5:46 pm
The most shocking part of this thread is that there are still people on rfd who haven't signed up for this.

This deal started in August, why have people waited so long?
waiting for 10/month ;-)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 7:43 pm
that function alone makes it worth every dime I’m paying them compared to free options like, say, FONGO with OBIHAI call back for instance
Fongo Mobile can not be used on an ATA. Fongo Home phone can not be used on any ATA other than the one sold (currently a Grandstream model) by Fongo. So, it's impossible to use Fongo with an Obihai product. Freephoneline and Fongo are sister companies owned by Fibernetics and do not offer the same services. It costs money ($5+tax) to port phone numbers between Freephoneline and Fongo Home Phone or Fongo Mobile. So, it's not a good idea to confuse these services. Fongo Mobile, Fongo Home Phone (not a BYOD service), and Freephoneline (BYOD service) are all separate services. Freephoneline and Fongo's servers have different IPs. You may see "powered by Fongo" on FPL's webpage, but Freephoneline and Fongo are treated as being sister companies that are both owned by Fibernetics.

VoIP.ms, Anveo, Freephoneline, Google Voice, etc., can be used with Obihai OBi200/202 ATAs, simultaneously, and all calls be routed between any of these services using Obihai ATAs. Further, a Google Voice phone number is not required to make outgoing calls with an Obihai ATA (just a Google Voice account is required).

Provided the phone number someone wants to use is already provisioned with a service on someone's Obihai ATA, nothing is stopping that person from dialing into it on their cellphone and placing an outbound call with that phone number using the service provider that provides the phone number. Nothing is stopping an incoming call to that number from be routed to that person's cellphone either. And no flaky cellular data signal is required.

Fongo Mobile is free with the exception of sending SMS (and receiving verification SMS from whatsapp, for example). Freephoneline is only free if you use its free desktop app (this is how Freephoneline got its name). Otherwise, Freephoneline's VoIP Unlock key costs a one time fee of $79.95+tax. Fongo Home Phone costs $4.95+tax per month. There's nothing free about Fongo Home phone nor Freephoneline's VoIP unlock key (intended for use with any SIP device/service).
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 5th, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:02 pm
FONGO = Excellent on iOS. Everywhere. Period.
Fongo Mobile is not excellent everywhere on iOS. No VoIP service over cellular data is excellent everywhere.

Jitter and ping always matter. Where you are can affect jitter and ping between you and the SIP servers being used; where you are can affect the strength of your cellular data signal.

If I'm in Japan, trying to connect to SIP servers in Ontario, the transit provider used by the ISP matters. Transit providers matter; peering matters.

Bottom line is that jitter always matters. And your location can affect jitter.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 5th, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16423 posts
8754 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
chimp wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 6:41 pm
waiting for 10/month ;-)
But even that argument doesn't wash. This plan is contract-free. If Fido comes up with a better promo then we can all switch to it(*). That's what many of us, who were on the original 1GB/$15 plan did in August when Fido had a temporary promo for 3GB/$15. There's no charge to do this, not even an activation fee since you'd be already activated, nor is a SIM change needed.

(*) Those of us who go the free tablet had to commit to 3GB/$15 for 24 months. I'll gladly take the tablet (and $50 BB GC) for the risk that the deal might get sweeter in the next two years.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)