Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 9:00 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2284 posts
1312 upvotes
montreal
dealseeker wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 5:34 am
There are actually refunds. That's one of the reasons other than excellent support to use voip.ms. From their FAQ:
"You can ask for a refund of the remaining balance at any time should you choose to cancel the account. "
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/FAQ#Can_I_ ... account.3F
Thanks dealseaker.
I have convince a lot of friends in the last years to switch to voip.ms and the minimum 25USD was often a detail that made my friend hesitate.
I wasn't aware that you can request the balance if needed.
So thanks for that info!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3170 posts
654 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 4:27 am
You should install Hangouts Dialer on your phone and call all of the North America for free. [You verify your own number with Hangouts, than set it as your caller ID when you call out; when people call you back it will be directed to your ZOPIER/CSSimple app by VOIP.ms (once you port your number there) so you will pay less than 1 cent/minute for incoming call. [Hung up and call them back for free! Smiling Face With Open Mouth]
I got the fido plan some months back and am still weighing my voip options. And i'm switching phones which makes me have to do all the research again.

I'm thinking i want to do exactly what you describe on a Nexus 5 but i am one that managed to get a google voice number. so when i call out with hangouts dialer my Caller ID is my US based google voice number. I dont' think you can change it if you have gvoice. is there any way we can do this without confusing our friends where they will receive calls from me that show a US number and then call me at my canadian number?
Last edited by Kevinck on Feb 3rd, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16579 posts
6462 upvotes
Oakville
Question: what are the odds of Fido kicking people off for using a tablet plan on a phone? Any chance of them going the Virgin route and locking sims to tablet IMEIs only?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Banned
Dec 12, 2016
48 posts
that rep is lying. I have deal lot of referral credit recently. And I also confirm with fido couple of time -- this $15/3GB plan does apply that $25 referral, but you need to wait 90 days before see that credit on your bill, FYI.
Dec 6, 2012
251 posts
114 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Kevinck wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:24 am
I got the fido plan some months back and am still weighing my voip options. And i'm switching phones which makes me have to do all the research again.

I'm thinking i want to do exactly what you describe on a Nexus 5 but i am one that managed to get a google voice number. so when i call out with hangouts dialer my Caller ID is my US based google voice number. I dont' think you can change it if you have gvoice. is there any way we can do this without confusing our friends where they will receive calls from me that show a US number and then call me at my canadian number?
If you already have google voice number, you may have to create another google account to verify your Canadian number on hangout because your google voice number is linked with your google account.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16407 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kevinck wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:24 am
I also have a N5 and GV number. I've looked into this issue as well and couldn't find a solution, i.e. any way to spoof GV's US number with a Canadian number.

There are two sub-issues IMO:
1. Will people not answer (or worse, block) calls from unknown US numbers? I don't think so. Back in the days when there were relatively few Canadian area codes, it was relatively easy to recognize them (and thus recognize US ones.) But now with all the new overlaid area codes it's becoming increasingly difficult for people to do that. For example, where's area code 548? What about 862?
2. Most people these days can call the US either for free as part of a monthly package or for a couple of cents a minute. So while cost may have been an issue back in the days when LD costs were significant, I suspect few people care any more.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1451 posts
627 upvotes
Markham
wearysky wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:34 am
Question: what are the odds of Fido kicking people off for using a tablet plan on a phone? Any chance of them going the Virgin route and locking sims to tablet IMEIs only?
Hard to say really, eventually when enough people use this method, they will start to do what Virgin is doing. I guess do it now and worry later.
cd ~/cloudbox
Mar 7, 2011
104 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
wearysky wrote:
At the moment they don't care. They're more than happy to charge you by the minute for voice or per message for using SMS.

Of course this could change :)
Dec 6, 2012
251 posts
114 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
bomber17 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 2:38 am
I heard from a rep that the $25 referral credit actually don't get applied on tablet plans? Anyone can confirm?
That is not true. I got a $50 credit last month. I have a tablet plan in September and i opened another tablet plan for my wife under the same account also in September. The referral needs to be done during or before you set up the new tablet plan (or new line). You must mention to the fido rep or whoever that it is for another person (wife, son or whatever) but you are paying for it since you are the account holder. They would not let you refer yourself for bonus credit.
Sep 26, 2016
31 posts
1 upvote
superbigjay wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 8:06 am
Thanks dealseaker.
I have convince a lot of friends in the last years to switch to voip.ms and the minimum 25USD was often a detail that made my friend hesitate.
I wasn't aware that you can request the balance if needed.
So thanks for that info!
GST/HST is charged on the initial deposit. However, you will get the refund on the unused credit, but not GST/HST portion.

For example, you deposited $25USD to the account, you are actually paying $28.25 ($25 + 13%). When you are using the service and the balance is depleting. Let say down to $22. You can request a refund for $22, but not $22 +HST.

This was the discussion with one of voip.ms repesentative back in October 2016. Not sure whether they change this policy or not.

I like the voip.ms very much as an android user. However, you may need to think twice if you are an iphone user. I always get de-registered on Iphone. After de-registered, you are unable to receiving calls.
Last edited by Amandawu0509 on Feb 3rd, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Sep 5, 2016
344 posts
369 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
According to my opinion, It is difficult for them to do that because I have tablet with two year contract & in contract they mentioned the outgoing call is one dollar per minute & there tablet is not able to do calling because there is no dialer, if they kick me out using there sim on my another phone handset, they are void there contract to provide me outgoing call so I will rightful owner of tablet without paying them remaining balance or they provide me new tablet or phone which is capable to do both.
Satisfied Customer from these providers :-
Koodo Mobile
Public Mobile
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18790 posts
9925 upvotes
Kitchener
wearysky wrote:
Its a month to month plan any way, so if they would block all non-tabs tomorrow then your max loss is $15.

That said, I don't see them doing that to "existing" customers since they never kept a record of the the "correct" IMEIs for the BYODs and they can't just block everyone and ask them to line up at physical locations to get their devices re-registered.

But there is nothing preventing them from enforcing it on new signups, though this promotions keeps on coming back and I am sure by now Fido is well aware of what people are doing with the supposedly tab-only plan. Apparently they see the value in cutting from Speakout / PC Mobile user base, clients who would have never signed up with Fido hadn't it been for that plan.
Aug 28, 2016
85 posts
25 upvotes
If people are having trouble getting ahold of you I was thinking that they could send a text for call the fido sim number. You would always get those calls and texts and answer using your voip provider. It's very inconvenient, but if you're absolutely determined to save a buck.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1391 posts
317 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:31 am
Its a month to month plan any way, so if they would block all non-tabs tomorrow then your max loss is $15.

That said, I don't see them doing that to "existing" customers since they never kept a record of the the "correct" IMEIs for the BYODs and they can't just block everyone and ask them to line up at physical locations to get their devices re-registered.

But there is nothing preventing them from enforcing it on new signups, though this promotions keeps on coming back and I am sure by now Fido is well aware of what people are doing with the supposedly tab-only plan. Apparently they see the value in cutting from Speakout / PC Mobile user base, clients who would have never signed up with Fido hadn't it been for that plan.
Yes and for those of us on contract it doesn't say anywhere that it can only be used on the provided device and clearly outlines calling and texting rates. It would be grounds for us to cancel the contract if they changed anything.

I think Fido is happy to take the new customers for now, I certainly wouldn't have considered them if it wasn't for this specific plan.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16407 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wearysky wrote:
As others have said, the odds are low.

But it also seems to be an impractical policy to enforce usage by IMEI. How does Virgin enforce it?

Not all IMEIs resolve to a device type or model name that can be conclusively verified as a tablet. Moreover there are legitimate uses for a "tablet-only" SIM that don't involve calling, e.g. in notebook WWAN modems, Internet sticks, etc.

ISTM a more reliable way to screw us would be to block VoIP usage. Some carriers outside of Canada do this. Is there any regulatory reason why carriers couldn't do this in Canada? (ISTR that some years ago Robbers tried...)
veni, vidi, Visa