Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2019 2:49 pm
Apr 1, 2009
211 posts
135 upvotes
Winnipeg
Another thing to consider, additional data is 10$/gb and they cut you off at 8 gb temporarily to prevent massive overage. Even at that you're still only looking at 65 before taxes for 8 gb. For those like me who were migrating from a 6 gb data plan.

I've had minor surprises with fongo (if you are using two factor authentication be sure to disable and then re enable with the fido SIM number as fongo can't receive premium sms) but the call quality has not been an issue, it's virtually identical to my previous cell service with koodo. Fwiw. Total cost of getting set up was 15 for the SIM, 25 to port the number, 15 for fongo Canada USA sms for 6 months, and 7$ to kill the adds on the ios app. Easily recouped within 2 months compared to my former plan.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
1374 posts
120 upvotes
I have Rogers $5 10 mb tablet plan this plan is incl. unlimited in coming and out going text and pic text canada wide. this is works out for me $20 + tax but i need to buy a dual sim phone.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1620 posts
481 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:30 am
Offer ends March 31, 2017
... and so on :)

So, is this fido plan becoming a new standard for mobile data prices in Canada?
Jan 26, 2017
26 posts
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 4:27 am

It will cost you $25US to start - to obtain DID (later you can port your own # ) and pre-pay for future usage.] This money NEVER expires until you use it [no refunds, tho.]

You will need just a basic setup of your ZOPIER/VOIP.ms combo, and for incoming calls only.

You should install Hangouts Dialer on your phone and call all of the North America for free. [You verify your own number with Hangouts, than set it as your caller ID when you call out; when people call you back it will be directed to your ZOPIER/CSSimple app by VOIP.ms (once you port your number there) so you will pay less than 1 cent/minute for incoming call. [Hung up and call them back for free! Smiling Face With Open Mouth]

So your $25 will last you better part of the year.

[Note that you can use Hangout for calling right away too, BUT darn FONGO will not let you receive verification code from Hangouts, so you cannot use it as your caller ID number. Your calls will be much better quality then FONGO, however you will be "Unknown number.]]
Thanks for the informative reply! On the voip.ms website, when I buy a DID number, it asks me to choose the $0.85 option(0.009 cents /minute) or ~$5 option(unlimited); I guess it comes down to whether I call a lot. Can I change this option month to month depending on how busy I get with my phone?

I don't quite understand what you mean by the last part of your message. Do you use ZOIPER/voip.ms is for incoming calls only?

What number do I verify with the Hangout Dialer? The fido number or the voip.ms number? What is the purpose of Hangouts Dialer? Is it for outgoing calls and free?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16543 posts
6444 upvotes
Oakville
myinglin0318 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:12 am
Hard to say really, eventually when enough people use this method, they will start to do what Virgin is doing. I guess do it now and worry later.
Well, if I were to sign up for this I'd be giving up my Public Mobile $40/4GB plan (which, with all my referral and community bonuses, was down to $77+tax for 90 days). I'm not sure it's worth it for me to save $10 a month (and being forced to go to VOIP calling/texting).
bylo wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:52 am
But it also seems to be an impractical policy to enforce usage by IMEI. How does Virgin enforce it?

Not all IMEIs resolve to a device type or model name that can be conclusively verified as a tablet. Moreover there are legitimate uses for a "tablet-only" SIM that don't involve calling, e.g. in notebook WWAN modems, Internet sticks, etc.
I believe Virgin was locking it to the specific device that they provided when you signed up for the plan, in the two deals I saw. So that may be how they were enforcing it, rather than a specific "type" of IMEI.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1390 posts
317 upvotes
Youcanbyteme wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:34 am
Thanks for the informative reply! On the voip.ms website, when I buy a DID number, it asks me to choose the $0.85 option(0.009 cents /minute) or ~$5 option(unlimited); I guess it comes down to whether I call a lot. Can I change this option month to month depending on how busy I get with my phone?
Yes, you can change this at any time. I started with the $0.85 option and am still on it. For outgoing you can change to "Value" instead of "Premium" and that's half the price.
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
max011 wrote:
when you learn nuff – you will probably jump on CSipSimple due to way more options and granular level of control, not to mention better Codecs that you may [or may not] need…
CSipSimple does have settings but VOIP providers don't support 99% of setttings. Only real quality improvement can come from OPUS and nobody supports that hence its useless. There is no common SMS protocol so we need proprietary apps per each provider.

As a result I use Google official dialer. It's clean, simple, doesn't crash or hang. I wish it did more but it's not that simple.

If you can convince people around you to get on board with data to data calling, Signal just implemented OPUS and does not violate your privacy like WhatsApp by uploading entire phonebook.
Mar 2, 2008
775 posts
827 upvotes
BC
max011 wrote:
FONGO = Bad on Android. Period.
FONGO = Bad anywhere except, perhaps, some Eastern parts of the country [close to their servrs.
FONGO = Bad, notoriously, on Nexus 4 and 5 in general.
All of these statements are hard facts, topic of many forums, and no need to comment any further.
Hard facts? Subjective statements are hardly facts. I have a Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 and use both Fongo and Hangouts - in BC and Arizona/Utah. Neither is perfect, but they are far from terrible in my experience. If comparing to digital mobile experience, they are indeed inferior, but that is independent of handset, OS, or VOIP app.

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend for business use, but personal use should be fine if your expectations aren't impossibly high.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16281 posts
8609 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:58 am
They keep a white list for the devices they sell, they don't sell data-only SIMs and they promise everyone that they will update the whitelist on a per-device bases if a user upgrades his/her device down the road.
Fido isn't likely to do that because they didn't sell the plan with bundled devices. And as others have said, the contract terms and conditions don't mention anything about such restrictions. I'm not at all worried.
True, though all it takes is a VPN connection to work around that.
But that would introduce further lags, delays and opportunities for packet loss, all of which would degrade voice quality and call reliability.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 12:20 pm
But that would introduce further lags, delays and opportunities for packet loss, all of which would degrade voice quality and call reliability.
Not necessarily. I get faster response via VPN to some services than my ISP's routing. Of course don't use server in Florida. Get a server closer to you.

The latest Signal OPUS calling is droolworthy by the way
Jan 12, 2017
344 posts
164 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:34 am
Question: what are the odds of Fido kicking people off for using a tablet plan on a phone? Any chance of them going the Virgin route and locking sims to tablet IMEIs only?
If they do, you can get legit phone data (2GB) at Public Mobile for $25/month
Jan 12, 2017
344 posts
164 upvotes
Youcanbyteme wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:50 am
Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
I would give Talkatone a serious look. It's from the makers of Ooma...so pretty decent. I find:

- it connects outgoing and incoming calls faster than Fongo
- I thought quality with Fongo was good, but I find that this is even better
- you have call ID, visual voicemail, and still have to see if there is call waiting, but I think there is
- unlimited Canada wide and US calling for free
- unlimited Canada wide and US SMS/MMS for free
- they give you a free canadian number

Cons
- it doesn't have Siri/iOS integration yet
- It is $14 to remove ads (one time fee)
- I can't find a way to port my current number
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
Lot of other apps are using cloud servers, which should result in better quality and connection time.

Fongo runs their own server and only in K-W and Toronto. They really should distribute their servers to improve quality. Sadly it is only service that can port in a number and without ongoing costs.
Aug 29, 2011
104 posts
66 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone have feedback using FreePhoneLine (powered by Fongo) with via SIP (Voiper/CSIPSimple) after the one time $80 voip / sip credential unlock for the account + the G729 codec

I tried G729 with CSipSimple back in the day with a provider like VOIP.ms and the quality was excellent over data! It uses much less bandwidth than the standard G711 too.

I need to see how viable this is with FPL.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18683 posts
9816 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 12:20 pm
Fido isn't likely to do that because they didn't sell the plan with bundled devices. And as others have said, the contract terms and conditions don't mention anything about such restrictions. I'm not at all worried.
Here is the thing, no one know what they will do going forward, and actually no one can prevent them from doing whatever they want. And yes, they can claim a plan named "tablet" plan is self defining with no further need to spell it out in the contract, and they can also claim that the mention of voice/sms rates in the contract is just an umbrella term referring to a "tablet with SMS/Voice capabilities" that might be conceived in the near future and this interpretation will hold over anyone claiming that his iphone is actually a tablet and should be used with the contracted "tablet plan" ;)

With that all said, if Fido had any current intention to go back and try to circumvent this plan they wouldn't have kept extending it one dead line after the other. So even if they change it moving forward it wont be for those who already signed up (esp those in a contract).
That would be a user issue to work around not the carriers, what I meant to say, for the carrier blocking VoIP wont achieve much protection but will just introduce some "inconvenience" for users who already don't mind going through many to avoid regular cell rates.