Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 8:48 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18802 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
Tonyl2ca wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:07 am
Just asking, the details of 3GB/$15 says "Standard roaming charges apply. ", does it mean if I use it in BC out of my home province Alberta, I will be charged roaming fee? Is data roaming always free what I heard?
No roaming charges inside Canada.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16434 posts
8768 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
will888 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 1:30 am
Depending on how high up the food chain this person you interacted with, bringing the crazy deal to his/her desk may lead to a future stoppage PDQ. So, anyone who still haven't got the deal, better act quick.
He's just a CS manager. The number he gave me is the standard Retentions 1-866. I doubt any of this is news to that department. Many people have posted here that they've escalated. Most of them were luckier than me. So perhaps the party has already come to an end.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16434 posts
8768 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tonyl2ca wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:07 am
Is data roaming always free what I heard?
Within Canada, yes. Even better, when you enable data roaming you can roam on Bhell/Telus towers in areas where Robbers' coverage is poor. Just be sure to disable data roaming when you get near the US border and when travelling overseas. Otherwise you will get hit with rather high roaming charges (e.g. $7/day for 50MB data in the US.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16434 posts
8768 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
isgaard wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:24 am
When you call 6 times, chat with them another 6 times, the time, reason, and the notation of each interaction is documented on your account.
Who called 6 times? Not me.

Furthermore my last interaction, to "Share your concerns," was intended to do exactly that. I pointed out (politely!) that Fido's "loyalty" discount was back-firing in the case of customers like me who discovered that others were getting even better deals. The CS manager "got" that. Is that not the purpose of sharing concerns with supervisory staff? (Admittedly I'd hoped that a supervisor might then use his discretion to reverse the $90+HST as a goodwill gesture. But I certainly didn't push that.)
move on
What part of "I'm done..." didn't you understand? ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 6, 2012
251 posts
114 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
isgaard wrote:
You bit early and you lost when better deals came along. If companies made it retroactive, great, but if they don't, move on, you won't be the only person they said no to, the reps will say it again and again to those who bit early.

When you call 6 times, chat with them another 6 times, the time, reason, and the notation of each interaction is documented on your account. By the 4th call, the 4th rep puts you on a hold, reads the notes of your account regarding your last interactions, goes LOL, takes you off hold and politely decline you. They won't force it or take the time to give you a complete answer because they've seen it too many times, it isn't worth it to them and you still won't understand. Then you'll be that annoying customer mentioned repeatedly around the water cooler talk that always make contact about that specific deal. If you can't get what you want by the 3rd call, you lost.
I think it is not fair to say he lost. After all he is still getting some discount even after paying off the device balance. This could have been me. The first rep i dealt with offered me the 100% discount but told to me pay off the device balance for my three tablet plans at a fido store before he can apply the discount. I told him to leave a note in my account and i would go to a fido store to pay off the device balance.

Luckily, i read the thread the next day morning some people saying they didn't have to pay off their device balance. I was shocked and went back on live chat to ask for the promo again. I didn't mention the first attempt. Luckily i got a friendly rep who gave me the same 100% discount on all three tablet plans with device balance, she didn't enforce paying off the balance and didn't drop me to 2GB after the discount. I felt like i hit jackpot. My device balance has already gone down by $10 since my last bill of $0. It is just pure luck dealing with Fido. Like they say, dealing with Fido is YMMV.
Oct 14, 2014
498 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Update:
I got the first bill after 100% discount applied. I can confirm both my plan ($15/month) and additional usage of 10GB (total of 13GB usage) are free, so the bill is $0.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18713 posts
6733 upvotes
Toronto
isgaard wrote:
You bit early and you lost when better deals came along. If companies made it retroactive, great, but if they don't, move on, you won't be the only person they said no to, the reps will say it again and again to those who bit early.

When you call 6 times, chat with them another 6 times, the time, reason, and the notation of each interaction is documented on your account. By the 4th call, the 4th rep puts you on a hold, reads the notes of your account regarding your last interactions, goes LOL, takes you off hold and politely decline you. They won't force it or take the time to give you a complete answer because they've seen it too many times, it isn't worth it to them and you still won't understand. Then you'll be that annoying customer mentioned repeatedly around the water cooler talk that always make contact about that specific deal. If you can't get what you want by the 3rd call, you lost.
I respectfully disagree. I got the deal on try number 5. I got the refund on the tablet payment even though I was required to pay off the device balance. I was unable to get the refund returned to my credit card. I much prefer to refer to this stuff as YMMV rather than black and white. In some cases, customers have gone as far as they can take it and should move on to bigger and better things.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18802 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
isgaard wrote:
When you call 6 times, chat with them another 6 times, the time, reason, and the notation of each interaction is documented on your account.
I am not where you got that from but it's not entirely accurate, agents are not required to add note with every customer interaction and they are actually more reluctant to do it than otherwise because notes usually end up triggering customer satisfaction surveys and the agent knows if the interaction didn't end up amicably chances are the survey wont. Fact is agents usually don't end up adding account notes unless customer asks for an interaction id (so they need to add matching notes since its expected that customer will do a follow up with that id) or if they think customer is abusive and likely to call back and complain then they have to add notes to clear their end for the next rep (or manager) to see, thats why everyone is recommended to be courteous and try to end interaction ASAP once (s)he realizes agent is a no go.

If every single first "no you don't qualify" was recorded on file, 95% of those in this thread would have never managed to get the promo on the second, third, fourth even fifth try.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50603 posts
15373 upvotes
RobinHou wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 10:06 am
Update:
I got the first bill after 100% discount applied. I can confirm both my plan ($15/month) and additional usage of 10GB (total of 13GB usage) are free, so the bill is $0.
I just got my first bill and it's 0% off, haha.

I did capture the whole chat transcript and will let them know of the error.

Edit:

Was informed that I am getting the discount in the next billing cycle but because they had to remove the 50% off discount and it takes a full billing cycle to reflect the 12-month 100% discount. Therefore, the current month shows up as having no discount and I'm good with that.
Jan 31, 2018
464 posts
354 upvotes
A quick highlight summary ..for those who don't want to skim 5,000+ posts in the thread to figure out what is going on.

The $15 3GB data only plan

1. Fido periodically runs a 3GB data plan promo for $15 /month. This is a great BYOD, data only plan without voice minutes or SMS. Good for web use or your own personal hotspot. You can also use an app like TextNow to send to make free calls & text msgs via data. Or you could do it more elegantly at a modest cost via voip.ms or similar. This promo is currently live but rumoured, as in it may end April 1st. If the promo ends, the plan will probably revert to 2GB for $15 /month.

This plan is intended for existing Fido customers only but Fido reps can sign non-customers up. YMMV on this and some locations are more obliging than others. This offer is also intended for tablets only but it will work in your phone if you want to use it there. Read the thread if you need confirmation about this, don't press the point with the rep who may will probably just get annoyed and read you the official fine print that says for tablet use only. This is a BYOD, month to month plan.

There is also a term version of this plan which rolled up a "free" tablet into the original offer. When done as a term plan it is usually structured as a 2yr term plan that gives you this 3GB for $15 per month plan plus a free tablet and a $100 credit. Extra swag is great but remember that it does lock you down for 2 years.

It gets even better

2. Fido also has a retention offer for people who have had this plan for at least 3 months. Cell plans have been competitive lately and Fido doesn't want to lose customers. The offer is a 100% discount for one year. This offer is supposed to be used to retain customers who want to cancel or leave Fido. It's a retention offer to keep you around. It's also live, I know someone who got it just today.

After you've had the data only plan for 3+ months, start a chat session or phone to ask about the offer. It's not that hard to obtain although it may take several tries as not every rep will be willing to give it to you or even know about it. And no, you cannot get the retention aka loyalty offer if you've had the plan less than 3 months.

If a rep says no, be polite, end the chat session, wait 3 min so that rep will be engaged with another customer and try again. Do not mention the forums, do not complain that you know someone else who got it, so why aren't you giving it to me (foot stomp). That's counterproductive to say the least. Just politely end the chat or call and try again. Tell the rep that you are thinking of moving to another provider because [tell them about a competitor's offer]. But you heard that a friend of yours got a loyalty offer for 12 months and you'd like to get that too and remain with Fido.

Those who have the term version of the $15 3GB plan (got a free tablet), previously needed to pay out the term before they could get the retention offer. Lately it seems that requirement is being waived & people are getting the retention offer even if they have a tablet "balance" remaining on their account. The key point is that you've had the data only plan for at least 3 months before trying to get the retention offer.

Try not to screw this up for all of us

Most people say that overages are included in the retention offer so you effectively get up to 3GB + 5GB overage = 8GB data per month. Wow. Please do not try to push the envelope on this. DO NOT exceed 8GB or you're calling big time attention to a great offer, asking for sh*t to rain down and screw it up for all of us. Recognize a good situation when you see it and contain your greed. It's a win- win if you can just exercise a little common sense here.

You can read 300 pages into the thread for more details if you want to. But this is pretty much the score.
Last edited by ElroyJetson on Mar 28th, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16434 posts
8768 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ElroyJetson wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:46 pm
A quick highlight summary ..for those who can't skim the thread to figure out what is going on.
Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Well done.

You might want to place a copy of your post in the Thread Summary that's between the 1st and 2nd post of this thread. That will make it much easier for us to refer n00bies to.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 1, 2009
88 posts
84 upvotes
Van/Vic
1st try, about 2 weeks ago did a online chat, rep said need to pay the device balance off for the discount.

2nd try, today Just did a online chat and got both account with data only plan 100%discounted without paying off the balance
Jan 31, 2018
464 posts
354 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:51 pm
You might want to place a copy of your post in the Thread Summary

Done
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
22 posts
2 upvotes
dkvby wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 3:01 pm
1st try, about 2 weeks ago did a online chat, rep said need to pay the device balance off for the discount.

2nd try, today Just did a online chat and got both account with data only plan 100%discounted without paying off the balance
is your service below 3months, or you used it for more than 90days?
Oct 1, 2009
88 posts
84 upvotes
Van/Vic
SmartyPants7865 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 3:08 pm
is your service below 3months, or you used it for more than 90days?
1st one(balance around $266) is just over 3 months when the ipad promo at the end of NOV, the 2nd one (balance around $55) about 1.5 years when they have the first free LG promo