Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
bylo wrote: BTW a general observation. Fido began to offer the Flex data (tablet) plan some three years ago (Feb16 IIRCC.) Soon people started to suggest that this was just a ploy. They argued that Fido would end this deal or jack up the price once they got a substantial number of people hooked on it. Well let's review the situation today, more than three years later:

1. No other carrier in Canada offered as good a plan for unrestricted data that allows tethering, with free roaming on Bhell/Telus from coast to coast to coast, etc. Today still no other carrier offers a competitive deal.
2. The initial monthly data allowance was 2GB. That got increased to 3GB and recently to 4GB with no increase in price. Not only did the deal not end, it's gotten better with time.
3. Even with 1. and 2. Fido has offered 50% and 100% loyalty discounts for periods of 1 to 2 years. Again, not only did the deal not end, it's gotten better with time.
4. Even when the discounts in 3. have expired, people have gotten "renewals," generally without much effort. In many cases Fido auto-renewed the discount. Even on 100% off plans.

So the shoe still hasn't dropped nor is it even visible in the horizon. Those of us who took advantage of Fido's "too good to be truepermanent" plan have been enjoying an almost-free meal for as long as three years while those who saw storm clouds have been left out in the cold for three years. (I'm not going to say I told them so... ;) )

Normally Canada's incumbent telcos deserve a lot of our criticism for their high prices and shady business practices. The Fido data-only plan is a pleasant exception to this rule.

Fido deserves our kudos for making it available.
Well said. You could add that during the early days when Fido still had referrals, this plan qualified for referral credits which help to pay for the service. Just as that program came to a close, the discount program took over. We must not forget throughout, this tablet plan included very good hardware options. Personally, I have taken one GPad II, b one GPad III, B two GPad IV. I look forward to getting some GPad V tablets if LG is still in the game. Of course, I have never been a Fido wireless customer. I give the parent company enough business.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pjw918 wrote: 5. Still $10/GB overage
a. Now starting after 4GB vs. after 2GB in 2016. 4 >> 2.
b. Some people on loyalty discounts aren't getting charged at all.

What's to criticize about that?
(vs. $100)
?
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 20, 2010
452 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody have any feedback on what different stores are offering for their free tablet as part of the subsidy plan? Thanks
Gullible? Click here to find out!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1834 posts
4035 upvotes
5. Still $10/GB overage
bylo wrote: What's to criticize about that?

?
???
$10/GB after 3 years is another plus to add to your list of 4.
Compared to the $100/GB on voice plans currently, a very significant plus.
Koodo's tablet plan $100/GB for overage.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3804 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver
Tried calling in, was able to confirm I could get the 4gb/$15 promo. However, the first and then a retention rep tried, but they said they couldn't apply the 50% loyalty discount that I currently get to the new plan. Also tried for the 3gb/$0 which they said the promo ended.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1771 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver
vcheng20 wrote: I got the text and I called in to verify. The agent said there was nothing on my file and said she has no idea what the text was.
Seems to be a fair amount of inconsistency in this. I got the text, twice in fact. Talked to online support today, and it was already retroactively applied to my account at the start of the current billing cycle. So everything was as they said it was for my account.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
1333 posts
543 upvotes
Kingston
Has anyone still got charged after receiving the text of "great news/100% off"? I got text about 2 weeks, but today my bill shows full cost, $15+HST (my billing cycle ends 16th). Need to call them next week.
Dec 6, 2011
440 posts
319 upvotes
Area 51
Currently, I have 3GB for 15$. Fido told me that if I upgrade to 4GB, I lose the 50% promo. Is that true?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5581 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
atlantic_man wrote: Has anyone still got charged after receiving the text of "great news/100% off"? I got text about 2 weeks, but today my bill shows full cost, $15+HST (my billing cycle ends 16th). Need to call them next week.
Just above your message...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6891 upvotes
Scarberia
atlantic_man wrote: Has anyone still got charged after receiving the text of "great news/100% off"? I got text about 2 weeks, but today my bill shows full cost, $15+HST (my billing cycle ends 16th). Need to call them next week.
im still billed after getting that sms...too lazy to call in..i'll check back next month to see if im still billed, then take action!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5581 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting stuff....

My 100% Promo expired several days ago. Didn't get any SMS [blocked] but today when I looked at my bill online it's showing that 100% off is still alive, and already applied to the next month...

Looks like they silently extended my 100% off Promo. [Otherwise, I'd cancel it anyway...]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Jan 4, 2019
55 posts
31 upvotes
I phoned in today to see if i could get upgraded to 4 GB while maintaining my 50% off for 24 mos.

The rep told me i could get the 4 GB but would lose the 50% discount. I told him i had a friend that got upgraded from 3 to 4 GB & was able to keep the 50% off/24 mos. He said if he changed me over to the 4 GB plan the 50% off automatically gets deleted. He tried various things to make it work - no luck. I then asked if he could get a manager to see if it could be done - i was expecting him to ask, instead he made notes & put me in the queue to speak to a manager, which took about 15 minutes.

After hanging up from the rep, the manager called me. Very nice lady - i asked her & she said the same thing. I told her i was very happy with my interactions with Fido & appreciated the discounts i've been given over the 2.5 yrs. i've been a customer. I thanked the manager for her time, not expecting anything else.

Lo & behold, don't i get a call from the manager about a half hour later saying that she went to the 'higher ups' & was able, as a loyal Fido customer, to get me upgraded to the 4 GB AND also able to keep the 50% discount for 24 months. I called the call centre to confirm (since the manager didn't provide a reference #, only said it was documented) The rep confirmed it was indeed noted, gave me the reference #. I asked him "when does my 50% off discount expire?" He said, "May 19/21" LOL - they even reset my discount - i've had 50% off for the last 3 months. I checked my account online & the monthly GB allowance was changed from 3 to 4.

FIDO IS THE GREATEST! I think in 2.5 yrs., i've only paid full price ($15) maybe 6 months max.!
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
439 posts
168 upvotes
Send roger ombudsman an email they will forward it to fido manager. Make sure to include your contact info
Mar 25, 2006
757 posts
162 upvotes
Hamilton
I currently use my Fido 3GB with 2FA and whatsapp via incoming SMS.. so switching to 4GB you lose that option? Has this been confirmed?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1110 posts
1048 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sure this had been answered before, but didn't see it in the summary... Can this plan be used while traveling across Canada without roaming fees?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
astroboy100 wrote: I'm sure this had been answered before, but didn't see it in the summary... Can this plan be used while traveling across Canada without roaming fees?
Right from the OP.
aasoror wrote: Q: What about roaming outside Canada?
A: International/US roaming is not free, make sure you disable it on your phone or call Fido and get them to disable it for you.
As for inside Canada.. nope .. no roaming fees.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
oncl0ud9 wrote: I currently use my Fido 3GB with 2FA and whatsapp via incoming SMS.. so switching to 4GB you lose that option? Has this been confirmed?
Just one report maintaining SMS incoming after the migration, everyone else .. no such luck.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote: Right from the OP.
To clarify, @astroboy100's Q was about roaming within Canada.
As for inside Canada.. nope .. no roaming fees... A: International/US roaming is not free, make sure you disable it on your phone or call Fido and get them to disable it for you.
Agreed. But one needs to be very careful near the US border. You have to turn on roaming in order to get extended roaming within Canada. However near the US border that could result in inadvertent roaming on US towers and hence Fido's $8/day roaming charges.

The better alternative IMO is to get Fido to disable international roaming. I've verified that this doesn't affect roaming within Canada. (A safe tip in general is to turn roaming off unless you need it, especially when swapping SIMs.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote: Just one report maintaining SMS incoming after the migration, everyone else .. no such luck.
Has anyone been successful in getting Fido to re-enable incoming SMS?

IIRC someone was going to call them and argue that since the "free" tablet they got from Fido supports SMS, Fido shouldn't disable it on their own tablet data plan. Any updates on that?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6891 upvotes
Scarberia
Has anyone called in to get 4gb from a 100% off 3gb plan¿?

Moot pt cuz overages are free I think still
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)