Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:32 pm
Dec 9, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Called in this morning to have two exiting $15/3GB plans upgraded to $10/4GB plan and getting two free MediaPad T5. Thanks for this thread.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1173 posts
759 upvotes
VivienM wrote: This is on a tablet plan?

I don't think they'd charge for an internal SMS, but... if you want, have a friend SMS that number and see what happens. Chances are, you'll get billed $0.10 or so per SMS...
Yes, it's on a tablet plan, but the sim card seems fully functional, I have to put it back to my iPad so it will never ring again.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
got my bill, looks correct. $100 + 35 + tax for certified pre-owned iPad 6th gen, and 0$ for 3GB data due to loyalty offers!

i'll wait for next bill to have the 35 activation fee reversed and call it in / chat with incident number if it doesnt. thanks fido!
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$0 4GB eSIM data only plan
$1 voip backup line
Nov 12, 2017
573 posts
987 upvotes
Saint John, NB
wllq01 wrote: Called in this morning to have two exiting $15/3GB plans upgraded to $10/4GB plan and getting two free MediaPad T5. Thanks for this thread.
I tried 2 chats. No luck. The best bet seems to be calling.
Aug 6, 2013
95 posts
70 upvotes
VivienM wrote: Maybe they should just do like Bell and... not block SMS but bill it per-message. :)
It use to be like that on the 3gb/15$ plan, but they blocked it on the more recent 4gb plan. Its a bit annoying because it now means you can't call 911 in case of emergency (unless this is still unblock?), as VOIP usually not very good with 911... But at the same time, it makes it impossible now to mistakenly make a call on this 1$/minute line.

My next phone will have eSim, and I will fix this problem by taking a cheap call/sms prepay card.
Nov 26, 2003
561 posts
168 upvotes
Finally got a 50% discount on my 15.00 for 3GB plan I have been using for almost 2 years. I guess it pays calling in the last day of your billing cycle.
Dec 9, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
stizarch wrote: I tried 2 chats. No luck. The best bet seems to be calling.
The lady on the line was really nice and helpful. She did charge me $35 for activating each line, but I am more than happy to accept those charges.
Apr 2, 2009
920 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
ryanrudolf wrote: got my bill, looks correct. $100 + 35 + tax for certified pre-owned iPad 6th gen, and 0$ for 3GB data due to loyalty offers!

i'll wait for next bill to have the 35 activation fee reversed and call it in / chat with incident number if it doesnt. thanks fido!
How did you get the CPO ipad?
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
techfox wrote: How did you get the CPO ipad?
i was on a 2yr tablet data plan and the contract expired early december. prior to that, i chatted in mid Nov and after several attempts i was offered a CPO iPad as hardware upgrade, provided that i lock in / renew my existing tablet data plan for another 2yrs.
icing on the cake - it retained the 100% loyalty discount for 24mos
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$1 voip backup line
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Francis29 wrote: Its a bit annoying because it now means you can't call 911 in case of emergency (unless this is still unblock?
The 911 service works on any phone even when the SIM is removed. [Please don't "test" it. The 911 system is for serious emergencies.] Instead, read Emergency numbers and mobile telephones
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
bylo wrote: The 911 service works on any phone even when the SIM is removed. [Please don't "test" it. The 911 system is for serious emergencies.] Instead, read Emergency numbers and mobile telephones
Agree. Most of us, if not all, are using the tablet SIM card in a phone. We should be able to call 911 with or without SIM card.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
embguy wrote: Agree. Most of us, if not all, are using the tablet SIM card in a phone.
Sorry, but this makes me grumpy. Some of us are using this on a tablet where, for whatever reason, we don't have a highway-robberious smartphone share plan with the same carrier to pool data with the tablet on. (In my case, I signed up for this because my main phone is through a corporate plan at work and I don't want to have a 'political' discussion about trying to add a personal iPad to the work account) This plan is basically the only reasonably priced option to get a lightly-used tablet connected... and yet, if Fido ever really clues in to the fact that many people are using it as a 4GB voiceless smartphone plan and saving $40/month or whatever the savings are over plans that include voice, they may just end this plan and leave us tablet users with no good options.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
VivienM wrote: Sorry, but this makes me grumpy. Some of us are using this on a tablet where, for whatever reason, we don't have a highway-robberious smartphone share plan with the same carrier to pool data with the tablet on.
With respect to the 911 issue that @embguy responded to, your tablet is incapable of making cell voice calls so you can't use it to call 911 no matter what SIM you may or not have in it.
(In my case, I signed up for this because my main phone is through a corporate plan at work and I don't want to have a 'political' discussion about trying to add a personal iPad to the work account) This plan is basically the only reasonably priced option to get a lightly-used tablet connected... and yet, if Fido ever really clues in to the fact that many people are using it as a 4GB voiceless smartphone plan and saving $40/month or whatever the savings are over plans that include voice, they may just end this plan and leave us tablet users with no good options.
And in my case I haven't had a cell voice plan in something like 10 or 15 years. Fido isn't losing any revenue as a result of my using this plan with a smartphone, er a 5.5" tablet. To the contrary, they're getting $7.50/month (or $10/month under the current offer) of revenue from me that they'd otherwise not get at all.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
VivienM wrote: and yet, if Fido ever really clues in to the fact that many people are using it as a 4GB voiceless smartphone plan and saving $40/month or whatever the savings are over plans that include voice, they may just end this plan and leave us tablet users with no good options.
Do you REALLY think anyone there at Fido is soooo stupid not to know what's going on??

Whatever their reasons behind this basically free data offer are [for me it's free for almost 2 years now!] I am sure they know what we are doing. Even if we don't know what, and why, they are doing it...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
max011 wrote: Do you REALLY think anyone there at Fido is soooo stupid not to know what's going on??

Whatever their reasons behind this basically free data offer are [for me it's free for almost 2 years now!] I am sure they know what we are doing. Even if we don't know what, and why, they are doing it...
They're probably selling your browsing history.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
JAC wrote: They're probably selling your browsing history.
ROFL....

Thank you for a good laugh....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
JAC wrote: They're probably selling your browsing history.
at least im behind a VPN connection, my VPN provider is the one selling my browsing history lol
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$1 voip backup line
Nov 12, 2017
573 posts
987 upvotes
Saint John, NB
Has anyone successfully switched from the $15/4GB to the $10/4GB plan while keeping a 50 or 100% discount?
Apr 2, 2009
920 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
ryanrudolf wrote: i was on a 2yr tablet data plan and the contract expired early december. prior to that, i chatted in mid Nov and after several attempts i was offered a CPO iPad as hardware upgrade, provided that i lock in / renew my existing tablet data plan for another 2yrs.
icing on the cake - it retained the 100% loyalty discount for 24mos
How did you approach the asking for the new tablet convo?
I'm thinking about doing the same.
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
max011 wrote: Do you REALLY think anyone there at Fido is soooo stupid not to know what's going on??

Maybe. Or maybe no one wants to tell their boss that the reason they've had great success in the marketplace with their tablet plan is because those plans are not being used as intended... and how their dealer network is happily encouraging this by signing up ineligible people. If the senior people at Fido believe this is being used by tablets exclusively, I could understand others not wanting to really correct their misunderstanding...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)