Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 8:48 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bowmah wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 2:57 pm
Let's hope customers who got the 100% promo can enjoy using this until further notice.
Hope all you like. Nothing wrong with that. But offering service for free indefinitely isn't a sustainable business practice. Enjoy it while it lasts.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
djray wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 3:37 pm
Let's say I also wanted this Tab A, do I have to pay anything apart from the $35 activation fee on a monthly basis? TIA!
As always with Fido: YMMV.

As I posted upthread, including a copy of the statement, the Tab A with 50% discount and upgrade to 4GB is achievable for $7.50/month plus $35 activation. And who knows it might even be less if you're luckier than I was.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 15, 2003
675 posts
145 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 3:47 pm
As always with Fido: YMMV.

As I posted upthread, including a copy of the statement, the Tab A with 50% discount and upgrade to 4GB is achievable for $7.50/month plus $35 activation. And who knows it might even be less if you're luckier than I was.
Just did live chat. YMMV, indeed!

This CSR said I wasn't eligible for the tablet because I'm on a data-only plan. Only plans with call/text/data are eligible for an upgrade. I guess I'll try my luck with another CSR a bit later :)
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 3:45 pm
Hope all you like. Nothing wrong with that. But offering service for free indefinitely isn't a sustainable business practice. Enjoy it while it lasts.
No need to hope. Some of us got the first 12 months for free then Fido automatically renewed the offer for another 12 months.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
djray wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 6:16 pm
Just did live chat. YMMV, indeed!

This CSR said I wasn't eligible for the tablet because I'm on a data-only plan. Only plans with call/text/data are eligible for an upgrade. I guess I'll try my luck with another CSR a bit later :)
Yes, try again.

FWIW I phoned in rather than use Chat. I explained to the agent that my previous tablet, the LG G Pad III that I'd gotten over 2 years ago under the same offer, had died and I was looking for a replacement. I asked if I could get the Samsung Tab A on the same basis. He said, "Yes." So I asked if my 50% discount would continue. He also said, "Yes." The he added that he would upgrade the line to 4GB as well. He made no mention of the fact that I've never had a cell plan with Fido.

As I said before I tried to get the $35 activation waived on the basis that these tablet deals can't be done online, leaving me no choice but to call in. On that he said, "No." I asked again, got the same answer and decided that was good enough. (A "free" tablet with 4GB data for $7.50/month is a damn good deal even if it's a low-end tablet and I had to pay the $35.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bowmah wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 8:04 pm
No need to hope. Some of us got the first 12 months for free then Fido automatically renewed the offer for another 12 months.
I understand that. Apart from "hope" there's no reason to believe they'll do it again next year, let alone indefinitely. The only rational way to view this is that eventually someone higher up the food chain is going to notice that they're giving away free data and put an end to it. Enjoy the party while it lasts.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 9:22 pm
I understand that. Apart from "hope" there's no reason to believe they'll do it again next year, let alone indefinitely. The only rational way to view this is that eventually someone higher up the food chain is going to notice that they're giving away free data and put an end to it. Enjoy the party while it lasts.
So doom and gloom lol. Been enjoying Fido discounts and renewal deals for many years. Looking forward to enjoying these for more years to come, especially knowing a ton of enjoyment has already been gotten from previous offers.
Aug 16, 2008
500 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
bowmah wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 11:54 pm
So doom and gloom lol. Been enjoying Fido discounts and renewal deals for many years. Looking forward to enjoying these for more years to come, especially knowing a ton of enjoyment has already been gotten from previous offers.
I have a similar experience. Since Jan 2017: 4 mths; full price; 5 mths;50%;12 mths:100%;next 24 mths to Apr/2021;50%. 48 months with only 4 months at full price. All, of course times 3. I'm enjoyingSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Fido $15/3gb less 50% for 24 months x 3
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bowmah wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 11:54 pm
So doom and gloom lol.
Nope. Just setting reasonable expectations.
Been enjoying Fido discounts and renewal deals for many years. Looking forward to enjoying these for more years to come
So have I. Nevertheless while Fido discounts may continue, the $0 party can't and won't go on forever.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 7:41 am
Nope. Just setting reasonable expectations.

So have I. Nevertheless while Fido discounts may continue, the $0 party can't and won't go on forever.
Pretty sure users can set their own expectations? lol
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bowmah wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 1:50 pm
Pretty sure users can set their own expectations? lol
Pretty sure there's no need to state the obvious. ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7621 posts
1392 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 10:25 pm
I wasn't able to get the $35 activation fee waived. I argued that there was no way to get the tablet using their online process so I had no choice but to call in. That fell on deaf ears.

But they did carry over my 50% loyalty discount and even boosted my monthly quota to 4GB. After my first statement (below) I'll continue paying the $7.50+HST I was paying before. $35+HST for the Samsung Tab A is still a good deal.

Clipboard01.jpg
I was able to get them to give me a $15 loyalty credit today when getting a tablet.
Jul 25, 2016
127 posts
30 upvotes
When you call to ask for discount or to get the tablet, will they charge you $10? I know it's not on "the list" but I just want to confirm. Thanks!
Apr 11, 2012
348 posts
68 upvotes
Moon
My 1 year promotion expires so did the chat and was told it is only targeted offer for the customer who go over the data limit. :facepalm: :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2023 posts
446 upvotes
I chatted to get my 3GB plan increased to 4GB. They declined since I have no other plan with Fido. But they gave me a discount for 50% for next 24 months, so $7.50/month. Not bad.