Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 5:49 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
nguyentran3557 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:57 am
I'm new here. trying to get this deal for my phone. could someone show me how? tks
How about reading the OP and thread summary as mentioned in the thread title?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
jaggu2001 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 1:18 pm
My 1 year promotion expires so did the chat and was told it is only targeted offer for the customer who go over the data limit. :facepalm: :facepalm:
BS, that's just another way to say "don't want to give you the discount so I am going to make up an excuse and feed it to you".
As mentioned in the thread summary, you will have much better chances extending the discount by going through retention (over the phone not chat).
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1641 posts
492 upvotes
jaggu2001 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 1:18 pm
My 1 year promotion expires so did the chat and was told it is only targeted offer for the customer who go over the data limit. :facepalm: :facepalm:
perhaps they said UNDER, not OVER? :) the weirdest piece of info about this fido plan...

or maybe they are just using us (cheapos from the current thread ) as guinea pigs for some study/internet spying project? Then
the negligible data costs may be justified ?

hehe just a cute little conspiracy theory for u :)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2951 posts
2753 upvotes
Vancouver
Tichi wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:24 pm
perhaps they said UNDER, not OVER? :) the weirdest piece of info about this fido plan...
Well, to add to this, my 100% off was extended for another year _automatically_ without me even calling, and I used maybe 2-3GB of data _for the whole previous YEAR_ so obviously not "over" any limits....
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Sep 17, 2018
46 posts
23 upvotes
Looking into getting this deal without another phone plan. Any recommendations of which store to go to in the Markham area?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1209 posts
1003 upvotes
tempolc wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 7:59 pm
Looking into getting this deal without another phone plan. Any recommendations of which store to go to in the Markham area?
Any Kiosk in a mall re-selling Fido that isn't Fido direct, big YMMY
Sep 17, 2018
46 posts
23 upvotes
Tcalp wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 8:18 pm
Any Kiosk in a mall re-selling Fido that isn't Fido direct, big YMMY
So does that mean I should avoid the stores listed under the fido location finder?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1209 posts
1003 upvotes
tempolc wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 8:25 pm
So does that mean I should avoid the stores listed under the fido location finder?
A Fido store will not activate this plan without a phone line on account.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2951 posts
2753 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 6:00 am
Is it possible to use WhatsApp with the 4GB tablet plan?
Don't know if you can confirm your phone number without receiving SMS with WhatsUp...

Edit: Actually, your phone number with 'new' 4GB is totally blocked [voice and SMS] so no way to confirm #

Best bet would be to use some of VOIP apps [like Fongo] or "PRO approach" with Groundwire and an external phone number hosted at provider like VOIP.MS....

EDIT 2: VIBER might work; I think they'd let you enter the code that you received on some other device as confirmation, and also to run it on two [or more?] devices in parallel...
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3526 posts
299 upvotes
Oh very tempted to call in to try and the 100% free service again. I called in about 3 months ago and ended up switching to 50% for 24months. Wasnt able to get the tablet either since i dont have a phone line. Might give it another go.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2022 posts
446 upvotes
I was able to add a second line at Fido store in the mall (first line was the 3GB tablet plan). Now I have a new 4GB line ($15/month) with 128GB iPad ($20/month). I was first denied at BestBuy but I was lucky at Fido store. I don't have a voice line with Fido.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16422 posts
8750 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
N.B. [Fido] [Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted)

While this is a targeted ad, presumably restricted to those who have a Fido cell plan, it's worth mentioning it here. After all the deals in this thread are also supposed to be restricted to those who have a Fido cell plan. And yet many of us have gotten without a cell plan. At the very least this offer could be used as ammunition by someone who gets a Fido cell plan now, manages to qualify for the 100% freebie by calling in and asking for it, then later cancels the cell plan, etc.

Beware: That used to be possible in the past. This new offer now says that the data plan will be cancelled and you'll owe the balance on the Tab A if you cancel the cell plan. Looks like they've finally closed this long-standing loophole :(
Last edited by bylo on Aug 18th, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 18, 2008
334 posts
92 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:12 pm
Don't know if you can confirm your phone number without receiving SMS with WhatsUp...

Edit: Actually, your phone number with 'new' 4GB is totally blocked [voice and SMS] so no way to confirm #

Best bet would be to use some of VOIP apps [like Fongo] or "PRO approach" with Groundwire and an external phone number hosted at provider like VOIP.MS....

EDIT 2: VIBER might work; I think they'd let you enter the code that you received on some other device as confirmation, and also to run it on two [or more?] devices in parallel...
Is there any way we could request to have SMS unblocked?