Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2019 7:29 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16288 posts
8615 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Smither wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 11:09 am
Is there any way we could request to have SMS unblocked?
Try this:

Point out to them that...
1. The Details for the Data Only Plan-4GB includes "Unlimited Incoming Text" [quoted from the Fido Android app.]
2. Many banks and others now require 2FA via texts in order to login successfully. By blocking incoming texts they effectively block Data Only Plan users from using their tablets to login to those sites.

Best to do this via Chat so that there's a written record of what you've requested and how they responded.

Maybe if enough of us disgruntled customers do this they'll reopen free incoming texts as advertised rather than just delete that feature from this plan.

I dunno, is this something we could take up with CCTS? Free incoming text is part of the Data Only Plan-4GB offer we accepted so Fido should be forced to honor it.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
3582 posts
2183 upvotes
Toronto and London
bylo wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 8:48 am
N.B. [Fido] [Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted)

While this is a targeted ad, presumably restricted to those who have a Fido cell plan, it's worth mentioning it here. After all the deals in this thread are also supposed to be restricted to those who have a Fido cell plan. And yet many of us have gotten without a cell plan. At the very least this offer could be used as ammunition by someone who gets a Fido cell plan now, manages to qualify for the 100% freebie by calling in and asking for it, then later cancels the cell plan, etc.
Doesn't the terms stipulate if you cancel the cell plan before 2 years, you pay fees for the tablet side of things?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16288 posts
8615 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 1:13 pm
Doesn't the terms stipulate if you cancel the cell plan before 2 years, you pay fees for the tablet side of things?
It does. I missed that when first posted. I'll update the post. Thanks.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18698 posts
9825 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 1:21 pm
It does. I missed that when first posted. I'll update the post. Thanks.
Actually, it doesn't, there is no correlation between whatever "cell plan" you have and the "data-only" plan you are getting free for 2 years.
In other words, its free with no strings attached, calling in to cancel pre-term would be meaningless (and will make you subject to early termination fees), just let it expire and call to cancel on the 24th month. On the otherhand, you can port/cancel the "cell line" whenever you feel like it (subject to terms and condition of the actual cell line not the tablet line).
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18698 posts
9825 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 11:49 am
Try this:

Point out to them that...
1. The Details for the Data Only Plan-4GB includes "Unlimited Incoming Text" [quoted from the Fido Android app.]
2. Many banks and others now require 2FA via texts in order to login successfully. By blocking incoming texts they effectively block Data Only Plan users from using their tablets to login to those sites.

Best to do this via Chat so that there's a written record of what you've requested and how they responded.

Maybe if enough of us disgruntled customers do this they'll reopen free incoming texts as advertised rather than just delete that feature from this plan.

I dunno, is this something we could take up with CCTS? Free incoming text is part of the Data Only Plan-4GB offer we accepted so Fido should be forced to honor it.
Also, make sure that whatever tablet you got from Fido can actually receive mobile SMS (ipad's can't) before calling them to complain.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16288 posts
8615 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 5:30 pm
Actually, it doesn't, there is no correlation between whatever "cell plan" you have and the "data-only" plan you are getting free for 2 years.
In other words, its free with no strings attached, calling in to cancel pre-term would be meaningless (and will make you subject to early termination fees), just let it expire and call to cancel on the 24th month. On the otherhand, you can port/cancel the "cell line" whenever you feel like it (subject to terms and condition of the actual cell line not the tablet line).
That's not how I read the Ts and Cs as posted on the other thread:

P.S. Note also the eligibility requires an existing postpaid phone plan with at least 1GB data. That may explain why a phone plan may be a necessary but not a sufficient condition to qualify for this freebie.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18698 posts
9825 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 5:40 pm
That's not how I read the Ts and Cs as posted on the other thread:
I see it now, replied on the other thread :)
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
4230 posts
946 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm still on 3gb plan and chat refused to enable text (I had requested to disable it previously). Grr.

All i want is to use fido xtra.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Feb 11, 2015
159 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thundercloud wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 6:28 pm
I'm still on 3gb plan and chat refused to enable text (I had requested to disable it previously). Grr.

All i want is to use fido xtra.
You don't need SMS texting for using fido xtra. When you start My Account it will ask you for the phone number to send the text, but there will be a link "I don't have a fido number", which will open a small dialog where you have a LOG IN link. There you can enter your email as username and your password and login.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
4230 posts
946 upvotes
Kitchener
nightshademi wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 7:16 pm
You don't need SMS texting for using fido xtra. When you start My Account it will ask you for the phone number to send the text, but there will be a link "I don't have a fido number", which will open a small dialog where you have a LOG IN link. There you can enter your email as username and your password and login.
Oh, I see.
I stayed on chat and managed to get incoming text reenabled anyway after asking for another free year (didn't get anything).
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3250 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@aasoror hi OP, I was on the other Xtra Fido thread and you told me to check this thread out.

I spoke to Fido and they don't consider me an existing customer anymore (I left Fido in March 2019). So the rep I spoke to on chat said that I have to get a phone line so that I can add the data only 4gb plan.

Is there any way around this? I read the first page but there's nothing about "new" customers without a phone line getting on this deal... Help is much appreciated.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18698 posts
9825 upvotes
Kitchener
honggil wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 9:27 pm
Is there any way around this? I read the first page but there's nothing about "new" customers without a phone line getting on this deal... Help is much appreciated.
Right from the first post
aasoror wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:30 am
Q: Tried my luck in store, over the phone and online, no go without a "wireless plan", all hope lost?
A: Not at all, you can just get the cheapest wireless plan available, get the data plan (now that you are eligible) and cancel the wireless plan later on if you no longer need it (there is no requirement to keep the wireless plan).
And from the thread summary
Q. What if Fido won't let me have a data plan without first having a cell voice/text plan?
A1. Keep trying. You're most likely to get this deal at an independent phone store like Best Buy Mobile or some independent kiosk in a mail. These guys work on commission. Many will go to great lengths on your behalf to earn a living. If at first you don't succeed, keep trying. Remember that this is YMMV. Persistence pays off.
A2. If A1 fails, you could play Fido's game and get a cell phone plan at the same time you get the tablet deal. Then within the 14 day no-fee, no-explanation-required cancellation period, cancel the cell plan. That way you've met the requirement to have a cell plan at the time you get the tablet/data deal. There's no requirement by Fido that you have to maintain the cell plan in order to keep the tablet/data plan.
Good luck
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3250 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aasoror wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 1:59 am
Right from the first post

And from the thread summary

Good luck
Appreciated- I'll give it a shot - I was hoping to do it without the talk plan but yeah, I might have to do that and cancel.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18698 posts
9825 upvotes
Kitchener
honggil wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 9:08 am
Appreciated- I'll give it a shot - I was hoping to do it without the talk plan but yeah, I might have to do that and cancel.
You actually can it's just YMMV, as mentioned in the quoted posts, just try going to an independent retailer, there are several recent success reports at tbooth and wireless wave.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3250 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aasoror wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 12:14 pm
You actually can it's just YMMV, as mentioned in the quoted posts, just try going to an independent retailer, there are several recent success reports at tbooth and wireless wave.
Thanks @aasoror I will try finding an independent one, thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)