Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 11:13 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6596 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So I decided to go looking for this... went to a mall with a few options.

First stop - I think it was a WoW mobile kiosk. The dude said they don't sell tablets, you can only get the $15 4GB plan as an existing customer
Second stop - Wireless wave store. She said that you could get the $15 plan without being an existing Fido customer if and only if you take hardware (Samsung or Huawei tablet)
Third stop - Tbooth. Dude was quite happy to set me up on a no-device, no commitment version of the $15 plan :). 416 number too! $35 activation fee but whatever...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2022 posts
446 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 5:33 pm
Also, make sure that whatever tablet you got from Fido can actually receive mobile SMS (ipad's can't) before calling them to complain.
My 6th Gen iPad that I got from Fido can receive text messages. I received one text message from Fido regarding their new maximum data overage charges.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6596 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thrasher wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 9:50 pm
My 6th Gen iPad that I got from Fido can receive text messages. I received one text message from Fido regarding their new maximum data overage charges.
I got a welcome message from Fido on my iPad mini 4... but then when I tried to set up the Fido app, it wouldn't receive the confirmation code. I wonder if there's a special feature on the iPad for urgent carrier messages.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2022 posts
446 upvotes
VivienM wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 9:52 pm
I got a welcome message from Fido on my iPad mini 4... but then when I tried to set up the Fido app, it wouldn't receive the confirmation code. I wonder if there's a special feature on the iPad for urgent carrier messages.
Ah. I did not try the Fido app yet. That is a good point.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18795 posts
9926 upvotes
Kitchener
Thrasher wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 9:50 pm
You sure it wasn't forwarded to it from the iphone?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8406539
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18795 posts
9926 upvotes
Kitchener
VivienM wrote:
I wonder if there's a special feature on the iPad for urgent carrier messages.
Yes it gets the mandatory "urgent/safety alerts", Fido using that to send billing notifications is actually irresponsible.
Feb 11, 2015
159 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, ON
VivienM wrote:
The new 4GB plans cannot receive SMS except from Fido (and by Fido I mean only messages they want to send you, not ones you request to confirm your phone... silly, I know), but you don't need to receive SMS in order to login to the Fido MyAccount app. See this post (although this is for Android, I'm guessing they made it the same for iOS): How to login to Fido MyAccount app without SMS
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18795 posts
9926 upvotes
Kitchener
Thrasher wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 1:10 pm
I don't own an iPhone, so that would be unlikely.
Then they might be using the emergency broadcasts to send carrier announcements, pretty irresponsible if you ask me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6596 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nightshademi wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 9:39 am
The new 4GB plans cannot receive SMS except from Fido (and by Fido I mean only messages they want to send you, not ones you request to confirm your phone... silly, I know), but you don't need to receive SMS in order to login to the Fido MyAccount app. See this post (although this is for Android, I'm guessing they made it the same for iOS): How to login to Fido MyAccount app without SMS
Oh, I know, but I was so bewildered by the fact that I got that one message from Fido that I figured I'd try my luck at the SMS verification for the Fido MyAccount app. When the verification code did not show up, I promptly logged into it the other way...
Dec 1, 2013
102 posts
60 upvotes
Windsor
I have the old 3GB plan, have had it since 2016, incoming SMS worked fine on an iPhone 6s, I upgraded to an iPhone XR and now incoming SMS stopped working, I tried de-registering iMessage and all that, but nothing worked, and this affects 2FA messages from Uber and others as well.

If I stick my SIM card back into the iPhone 6s, after a few minutes I start getting all the text messages and 2FA codes, once I removed the SIM card and put it back into the iPhone XR, I was able to receive incoming SMS for a couple of minutes, then it stopped working again.

I have no idea on how to fix this or what's causing it.
"Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito."
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2022 posts
446 upvotes
My years old 3GB Fido Tablet plan is still able to receive text messages.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18795 posts
9926 upvotes
Kitchener
Thrasher wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 6:44 pm
My years old 3GB Fido Tablet plan is still able to receive text messages.
Yup, it's a feature that was dropped with the new 4GB plans.
Dec 1, 2013
102 posts
60 upvotes
Windsor
Does anyone have the 3GB tablet plan and is using it with an iPhone XR? If so, are you able to receive incoming text messages/SMS with the fido tablet number?

I've pretty much given up on it at this point, the only app that doesn't allow me to login without incoming SMS is Uber/Uber eats, and I can live without that.

EDIT: Nevermind, SMS suddenly started working again, weird glitch...
Last edited by MarkosX on Aug 29th, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito."