• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2017 10:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5353 posts
3818 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
kuri wrote: Thanks! Per the screenshot, it looks like the promo is until Nov 21.
I'm deciding between Fido and PM too. PM has the cheaper US roaming and LD add-ons, and it's a couple bucks cheaper, but Fido has Wifi-Calling which could be useful in my basement. VoLTE is a bonus. Anyone has experience with Fido's Wifi-Calling? Is it useful/stable?
I used Wifi Calling before and it's good if you're not moving. I go in and out of places and it gets annoying when you hear nothing for 10-15 secs because wifi disconnected or out of range and it's trying to connect back on LTE for your call.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10813 posts
3010 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
kuri wrote: Thanks! Per the screenshot, it looks like the promo is until Nov 21.
I'm deciding between Fido and PM too. PM has the cheaper US roaming and LD add-ons, and it's a couple bucks cheaper, but Fido has Wifi-Calling which could be useful in my basement. VoLTE is a bonus. Anyone has experience with Fido's Wifi-Calling? Is it useful/stable?
Wifi calling is ok but it depends on what phone you have. With iPhone 6, for example, they don't support soft handoffs. That means, if you on wifi and start a call, if you leave wifi area then the call will drop.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Banned
Mar 3, 2006
1198 posts
271 upvotes
Edmonton
never used wifi-calling before, but apparently it still counts towards minute/ roaming and stuff. I may as well use GVoice or Fongo or something.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6601 posts
183 upvotes
acekiller wrote: never used wifi-calling before, but apparently it still counts towards minute/ roaming and stuff. I may as well use GVoice or Fongo or something.
you've been misinformed. call up Rogers or Fido and they will explain to you how it works.
nzoka wrote: On my lg g4 with wifi calling and Volte i have a soft handoff if i am in an lte area.
I thought with IOS 10.x and carrier settings update, Volte is now available on the iphone 6 so one should expect a soft handoff if in an LTE area ( i might be mistaken).
I regularly use wifi calling with Rogers and my calls always disconnect when out of wifi range. I am also always in an LTE area. I am using an iPhone 7.
datacat wrote: I've had the same account for 17yrs with Rogers and they never raise my price. With probably the best plan of any provider Unlimited NA + 6GB. And I talk my way into free premium phones every year through upgrades credits etc. I went with Fido for my sons line because of several reasons. I think the deal with PM is great for some but it's definitely not for everyone.

Even if Fido raises the price at some point, I'll ask for credits or cancel service. Although I'd still consider it a deal. Save 10% by porting another line and Canada wide addon for $12.
I hope you're sitting down. You're on their hit list. Or perhaps you're not paying attention to your bills. A tonne of people got letters from Rogers over the summer forcing them onto other plans because their grandfathered plans are being phased out.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10813 posts
3010 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
RFDQ1016 wrote: How much is Canada wide talk add on?
$12/month I think. Each and every month.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15046 posts
28364 upvotes
Scarborough
kuri wrote: Anyone has experience with Fido's Wifi-Calling? Is it useful/stable?
I usually only get 1 bar in my home but since I started using Wifi Calling my voice calls have been a lot better. Calls go through quicker and I haven't experienced any drops.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
566 upvotes
Oakville
ak-47 wrote: Live chat only offered me this plan in ON.

$45 Talk, Text & Data plan includes:

- Unlimited Canada-wide anytime calls
- 2 GB (over usage: $5/250 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs, can be upgraded to 35 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
Thanks for sharing. I guess they truly only care of loosing customers in AB and BC. Strange move.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20755 posts
8977 upvotes
Toronto
ak-47 wrote: Live chat only offered me this plan in ON.

$45 Talk, Text & Data plan includes:

- Unlimited Canada-wide anytime calls
- 2 GB (over usage: $5/250 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs, can be upgraded to 35 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
No use beating a dead horse. This secret offer is a garbage way to do a promo as if you want to compete but not too hard. There is no advertisement on their site. Calling in gets mixed responses. What are they playing rope the dope?
Nov 17, 2013
26 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm going to need some advice.
current plan:
fee: $325 (buy out the phone to switch to BYOP)

$45 retention plan
- unlimited local call
- 1GB ($10 per extra GB)
- Call Display
- Mini Voicemail (Must be manually added)
- Circle Calling
- Unlimited SMS / MMS from Canada to Canadian & international numbers
- Partial Billing
- Fido Dollar

Does it make sense to switch?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1690 posts
345 upvotes
BC
Just got a deal via online chat. I already had $40 for same deal but only 2GB data. But mine has Canada wide calling unlimited. He told me me he would just up my Data to 4GB and he would leave the Canada wide calls and the remainder the same. I said Fine. No muss and fuss and questions.
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
7228 posts
5933 upvotes
The telcos are so pathetic. I will never respect them again after I paid 5 euros for 5 gigs of data on my trip to Ireland. Everything associated to them is a ripoff. Even in Australia, a country where the distance between cities is even greater than in Canada, you can easily find a great prepaid plan for dirt cheap.

Make them bleed! Don't ever hesitate to extract every last cent of benefit from them that you can. That's the only thing they deserve and the only thing they understand.
Mar 20, 2013
53 posts
14 upvotes
Surrey
I just signed up with PM and was contemplating this FIDO deal... I think I'm going to stay with PM. I like FIDO/Rogers coverage but PM is so much more straight forward. It's $38 (with prepay) forever and the us roaming options coming out look really good.
Dec 24, 2011
3 posts
Calgary
I updated my plan to the $40 - 4gb plan through chatting with a Customer Rep, it was quite easy as i wrote in the description want to price match Virgin Mobile BYOD offer.
live in AB
Jul 29, 2007
94 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry if I've missed it (I did read though the fido and virgin threads but did not see it) Has anyone compared the Fido 40 to the Virgin 40? Sadly I missed the PM version, but am considering a switch from by $85 Rogers 6G retention plan... (in Vancouver)
I'd have to get a new phone, but I'm due for one anyhow.
Jul 9, 2008
616 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
77_Bus_Girl wrote: Sorry if I've missed it (I did read though the fido and virgin threads but did not see it) Has anyone compared the Fido 40 to the Virgin 40? Sadly I missed the PM version, but am considering a switch from by $85 Rogers 6G retention plan... (in Vancouver)
I'd have to get a new phone, but I'm due for one anyhow.
You can still get the PM deal, you just have to get a sim card ($5) from the PM reps down at the Telus Garden either Friday or Saturday between 11 am and 7 pm. The deal is still available, but not advertised on their main page as they can't ship sim cards out in time before the deal ends.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2251 posts
1595 upvotes
Going to stay with pm as they were the ones who originally came up with the cheap plan (surprised telus did it in the first place).

I hope these prices stay. The big 3 has been gauging us for a long long long time.
Nov 23, 2012
498 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder why this is for AB/BC only?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rliuthu wrote: I wonder why this is for AB/BC only?
Because more competition in BC and AB.

Ontario is where rogers and bells makes a killing. Why making cheaper plans when torontoians will gladly pay for it lol