Fido

4GB Province Wide Calling BOYD $40/month AB/BC Only

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2017 10:02 pm
Jul 29, 2007
94 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
funkymankevx wrote: You can still get the PM deal, you just have to get a sim card ($5) from the PM reps down at the Telus Garden either Friday or Saturday between 11 am and 7 pm. The deal is still available, but not advertised on their main page as they can't ship sim cards out in time before the deal ends.
hmm. Good to know - I guess then my question should have been a comparison between the 3 $40 options! :) How does call display work on the 3? Do they display just the number, or the name? The numbers are useless to me, other than I know to ignore 1-800! ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3960 posts
1273 upvotes
Calgary
I am so tempted by this due to international roaming and VOLTE but I think I will stay with PM. As someone mentioned, they were the first to offer this so I would like to have my loyalty to them, as well, amongst these three, PM is the one that will likely not raise the plan. And with couple of referrals I have, my bill is now under $35 a month.

I will just suck up those days when I am out of the country without roaming. Besides, I can always keep in touch by email.
Nov 10, 2003
669 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks OP!

Just got the same plan thru Live Chat! :)

Just mentioned the public mobile and virgin plan.

Got this. $40
- Unlimited Province-wide minutes
Long distance in Canada $0.55 per minute.
- 4 GB (over usage: $5/100 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs, can be upgraded to 35 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1845 posts
1176 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
Is this plan eligible for Fido Roam? It doesn't look like a Pulse plan... would switch over but I actually use Spotify and Fido Roam :\
Feb 19, 2009
174 posts
121 upvotes
vancouver
No roam like home.
1:22 PM XXXXX:
Do you know if the plan comes with roam like home?
1:22 PM YYYYY:
this plan doesn't include Fido Roam option.
Edit: It's not a negative, just forgot to reply to the person above asking about roam like home haha. I used it a few times but I could/did lose it. Switched thanks OP :)
Last edited by mocows on Nov 17th, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 18, 2003
190 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
ceredon wrote: Wifi calling is ok but it depends on what phone you have. With iPhone 6, for example, they don't support soft handoffs. That means, if you on wifi and start a call, if you leave wifi area then the call will drop.
On my lg g4 with wifi calling and Volte i have a soft handoff if i am in an lte area.
I thought with IOS 10.x and carrier settings update, Volte is now available on the iphone 6 so one should expect a soft handoff if in an LTE area ( i might be mistaken).
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10870 posts
3078 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
nzoka wrote: On my lg g4 with wifi calling and Volte i have a soft handoff if i am in an lte area.
I thought with IOS 10.x and carrier settings update, Volte is now available on the iphone 6 so one should expect a soft handoff if in an LTE area ( i might be mistaken).
Yeah, they support it with the 6S, but for some reason crippled it on the 6. No technical reason, just fido being fido.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Aug 31, 2014
7 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver BC
Thanks OP! Was able to get this plan via Live Chat. Took about 20 minutes as the agent was hesitant to give this plan to me. I mentioned the PM plan. I might still pick up a PM sim card in Vancouver though.
May 28, 2007
132 posts
30 upvotes
Richmond, B.C.
Thanks OP.

Just switched over to the new plan along with pretty much everyone else in my office as well that was on Fido lol. I was originally looking to go over to Public Mobile but I guess their backlog fiasco ended up being a good thing.
Dec 16, 2016
148 posts
89 upvotes
Coquitlam
Hey guys, Just switched over to this plan so thought I would give some insight.

1) The plan is cheap and Fido in western Canada has great coverage and reliability. Company plan before was Telus and Bell, while my personal phone for the past 15 years has been fido/rogers. I can say I have great reliability and coverage.

2) I use Spotify premium, a lot, and losing this is annoying. If you guys have been keeping up with RFD, they recently launched family deals for $15 for 6 people. If you go on this and split it with 1-2 people it still comes out cheaper than staying on your current plan. Link

3) I also travel a lot and do use fido roam. Yes its easier with fido and you dont have to switch sims but how often do you travel to save 5-10 minuets of your time. Roam mobility is great, I used them a lot before fido roam and they're cheap with great service. Only down side is you need to buy their sims and manually switch it out of your phone. Link

Summary: If you're on the fence, I think this is really worth it. I am currently on the 3GB $50 BYOD plan with $5 international calling
This gives me one additional GB for $10 less a month and I would potentially lose spotify->which will expire eventually and lose fidoroam which is a convenience factor.
If you are really on the fence, you can switch over to the plan and it doesnt go live until your next billing cycle. You can sit on it and confirm whether or not you want to move forward.

ps. Live chat is quick and painless.

Hope this helps people trying to make this decision.

Cheers,
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12019 posts
108516 upvotes
Ontario
My friend said PM is a lot better.

Reasons:

PM = no act fee, no sim fee
PM = cheaper roaming rate. This Fido plan doesn't offer roam like home. $5 per day
PM = 12gb in 3 months. Fido only 4gb in 1 month. If you don't use it all, you are wasting it.
PM = no bills = no billing issue

The main reason is PM is actually doing something for us instead of the big 3 and small 3 gouging money from us.
PM was the only reason why Virgin and Fido reduced their cost for a limited time.

I would go with PM if I didn't have a better plan with Rogers. I was able to get a cheaper corp plan with credits. Not the 30% off share everything plan. It was something cheaper
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Dec 19, 2013
454 posts
543 upvotes
Thanks, OP. After short chat with Fido I changed my plan from 45$/2gb to 40$/4gb. It was easy.
Жыве Беларусь!
Feb 4, 2015
617 posts
2183 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Looks like a good deal - just be careful over the fine print: $0.55/minute for Canada outside of province and $5 charge for every 100MB over your limit. Those can add up very fast, so make sure those are not problems!
May 28, 2007
132 posts
30 upvotes
Richmond, B.C.
Thatdealguy wrote: My friend said PM is a lot better.

Reasons:

PM = no act fee, no sim fee
PM = cheaper roaming rate. This Fido plan doesn't offer roam like home. $5 per day
PM = 12gb in 3 months. Fido only 4gb in 1 month. If you don't use it all, you are wasting it.
PM = no bills = no billing issue

The main reason is PM is actually doing something for us instead of the big 3 and small 3 gouging money from us.
PM was the only reason why Virgin and Fido reduced their cost for a limited time.

I would go with PM if I didn't have a better plan with Rogers. I was able to get a cheaper corp plan with credits. Not the 30% off share everything plan. It was something cheaper
Only problem is to try activating with public mobile right now and you'll be waiting in the queue for days with everyone else having activation issues and no service (me included and now trying to get a refund for my failed activation)
Apr 20, 2003
68 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Could a person who lives just outside of Fido range use this at home over wifi (95% of the time) and take advantage of the data and minutes when they travel into Fido range? Not entire clear on how "wifi calling" works is why I ask. Also, will texts be received and sent over wifi if there is no Fido signal?
Last edited by ksk on Nov 17th, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1789 posts
252 upvotes
GVR
bt9Mew wrote: I'm from BC and was able to get it through LiveChat. They asked for the link to the Virgin plan price match. Make sure to tell them to change the region to BC or AB.

I previously had the BYOP Wind Loyalty Price Match/Retention Plan- $45/4GB (2GB plan + 2GB free). If you are wondering what I lost from that (which was all stuff I didn't use anyways):

- Spotify Premium
- Fido Roam
- Canada Wide Calling to Province Wide Calling
I'm in the same boat, what is the Fido Roam ?

Does anyone have the link to the virgin deal
Last edited by Johnny Powel on Nov 17th, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 19, 2013
454 posts
543 upvotes
mocows wrote: No roam like home.
Don't care. My wife on vacation in Mexico checked twice her voicemail. Cost her 20$ for roam (10$ per day). Without RLH charges would be much less. And of course, Fido refuse to refund it, Hate it. Now whit new 40$/4Gb plan RLH is not included. If I need it, I will use other options.
Жыве Беларусь!
Nov 16, 2016
1 posts
How long did it take until you guys/girls got an email confirmation?

I just signed up via online but wasn't given a receipt or anything. Also, logging on to my fido account shows no changes.

Any suggestions?
Apr 20, 2003
68 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
dzmitry wrote: Don't care. My wife on vacation in Mexico checked twice her voicemail. Cost her 20$ for roam (10$ per day). Without RLH charges would be much less. And of course, Fido refuse to refund it, Hate it. Now whit new 40$/4Gb plan RLH is not included. If I need it, I will use other options.
Next time just use something like Skype or Google Hangouts over wifi to call and check voicemail.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)