51 upvotes
Calgary
Ashock wrote: What was the upfront costs for this? I was told:
$24 prepaid plan for first month ($19 there after) assuming the 1.5GB plan
$10 SIM
$10 Activation fee
+Taxes

That sound right?
I called mobile shop and there activation is waived for freedom ... better to get it from there instead of freedom store
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1094 posts
2175 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Ashock wrote: What was the upfront costs for this? I was told:
$24 prepaid plan for first month ($19 there after) assuming the 1.5GB plan
$10 SIM
$10 Activation fee
+Taxes

That sound right?
There’s a cheaper plan that just gives you unlimited talk/text but no data for $14/month. Works out to be cheaper as long as you can live without data on that line.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Jun 12, 2010
729 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver
vancityguy0 wrote: There’s a cheaper plan that just gives you unlimited talk/text but no data for $14/month. Works out to be cheaper as long as you can live without data on that line.
how did you get the original add-on line with Fido? i'm curious - with Rogers, but am wondering if i can try and do a similar thing..
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1094 posts
2175 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wiffle wrote: how did you get the original add-on line with Fido? i'm curious - with Rogers, but am wondering if i can try and do a similar thing..
It was a back to school promo that I believe has ended. Shouldn’t matter what plan you get though as you’re really after a bigger prize here right?

Keep your eye on the $35/25GB deal mate, everything else is just a stepping stone at this point. Winking Face
Oct 6, 2016
239 posts
77 upvotes
Burnaby
Not related but similar, got the 39$/9gb plan from koodo by switching from freedom. But on the koodo website it still says 50$plan. Is this how it should look like?
Jun 12, 2010
729 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver
vancityguy0 wrote: It was a back to school promo that I believe has ended. Shouldn’t matter what plan you get though as you’re really after a bigger prize here right?

Keep your eye on the $35/25GB deal mate, everything else is just a stepping stone at this point. Winking Face
Fair point. So are you currently working with one $50/15 and one $35/25? Who's taking advantage of that second line? ;). Not possible to somehow get them to match that pricing on the primary line?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1094 posts
2175 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wiffle wrote: Fair point. So are you currently working with one $50/15 and one $35/25? Who's taking advantage of that second line? ;). Not possible to somehow get them to match that pricing on the primary line?
Price matching is not allowed. You must port in a Fido number back from Shaw/Freedom as a minimum requirement. I have cancelled the line with the $50/15GB plan as I have 2 lines with the $35/25GB plan at the moment (Ported two ex-Fido numbers back from Freedom).

Both new lines are being actively used in my household.
Oct 9, 2013
287 posts
51 upvotes
Calgary
vancityguy0 wrote: Price matching is not allowed. You must port in a Fido number back from Shaw/Freedom as a minimum requirement. I have cancelled the line with the $50/15GB plan as I have 2 lines with the $35/25GB plan at the moment (Ported two ex-Fido numbers back from Freedom).

Both new lines are being actively used in my household.
When did u ported.back.. isn't it suppose to 45/ for 25 gb??
Sep 20, 2020
1 posts
4 upvotes
Hey all,

Here is my experience Fido (BC) (was: $65 10gb + 10gb 24mnth bonus)
My main reason was to save money/get more value - less so about total data (pre-covid - usage was ~10-12gb/mnth)
-Ported to Koodo early afternoon (Was originally called by Telus promotions, mailed me a sim card - got 11gb/$55).
-By 8am had an email from Fido saying they missed me, and were going to reach out.
-9am, "Rogers Communication" rings me up.
- Asks why I left ; told them because they wouldn't let me take advantage of the bonus 5gb promotion on the plans, so I went and got a better deal with another carrier (haven't said with who, or what the plan is).
- Asks what I want to use my plan for (fishing for *Actual* data usage case) - tell them I don't currently use too much, but I wanted to have more data so I felt "safe" doing/using more (think facetime, streaming, etc)
- Asks what my new plan is - tell them im paying $45 for 25gb. (haven't mentioned anything about Shaw yet)
- They respond - oh you're with Shaw - and that they can match the same plan.
- Ask if I want a new phone, say no - nothing at the moment is interesting me
- Then they go on to offer me $10 credit for 24 months. (and that I can call in after 2yrs to extend the credit - *rolls eyes* - sure thing friend)

Basically am going to have 25GB/$35/month (assuming they don't push the rate up in the near future - but even then, I'll be paying a lot less.)
- New Sim card will be mailed to me. *I'll need* to call Fido customer care to port over from Shaw.
- So I just need to go sign up with Shaw for a day or two, and then once I get my Fido sim, call in. Its an extra step, but I'm more than willing to take on the hassle to save +$700 over two years, and avoid them pulling the offer on me.

I feel a bit like shit having to jump around, and do these half truths - but I keep reminding myself that these carriers don't care about your loyalty; its second to their business numbers. They are basically daring you to switch providers by offering better promotions to new customers over long time subscribers. Half expecting them to pull a fast one in the future - like changing price, or denying access to 5G in the future... tbd.
Oct 9, 2013
287 posts
51 upvotes
Calgary
CrackerWeight wrote: Hey all,

Here is my experience Fido (BC) (was: $65 10gb + 10gb 24mnth bonus)
My main reason was to save money/get more value - less so about total data (pre-covid - usage was ~10-12gb/mnth)
-Ported to Koodo early afternoon (Was originally called by Telus promotions, mailed me a sim card - got 11gb/$55).
-By 8am had an email from Fido saying they missed me, and were going to reach out.
-9am, "Rogers Communication" rings me up.
- Asks why I left ; told them because they wouldn't let me take advantage of the bonus 5gb promotion on the plans, so I went and got a better deal with another carrier (haven't said with who, or what the plan is).
- Asks what I want to use my plan for (fishing for *Actual* data usage case) - tell them I don't currently use too much, but I wanted to have more data so I felt "safe" doing/using more (think facetime, streaming, etc)
- Asks what my new plan is - tell them im paying $45 for 25gb. (haven't mentioned anything about Shaw yet)
- They respond - oh you're with Shaw - and that they can match the same plan.
- Ask if I want a new phone, say no - nothing at the moment is interesting me
- Then they go on to offer me $10 credit for 24 months. (and that I can call in after 2yrs to extend the credit - *rolls eyes* - sure thing friend)

Basically am going to have 25GB/$35/month (assuming they don't push the rate up in the near future - but even then, I'll be paying a lot less.)
- New Sim card will be mailed to me. *I'll need* to call Fido customer care to port over from Shaw.
- So I just need to go sign up with Shaw for a day or two, and then once I get my Fido sim, call in. Its an extra step, but I'm more than willing to take on the hassle to save +$700 over two years, and avoid them pulling the offer on me.

I feel a bit like shit having to jump around, and do these half truths - but I keep reminding myself that these carriers don't care about your loyalty; its second to their business numbers. They are basically daring you to switch providers by offering better promotions to new customers over long time subscribers. Half expecting them to pull a fast one in the future - like changing price, or denying access to 5G in the future... tbd.
Great deal..
Oct 25, 2019
92 posts
24 upvotes
anyone on the $50/15GB plan ported out and got the deal $45/25GB?

Anyone in the above process please report back once you're through.

Thanks.
Oct 3, 2017
41 posts
29 upvotes
Hey folks, I have a few silly questions about this deal & thanks in advance.

So my main voice line is currently with Telus and I happen to have a Fido data-only tablet line.
1. If I were to port my voice line to Fido (by means of adding a line to my existing data line on MyAccount) and then port out to Freedom, would I be able to get the deal? If so, does the "dummy" Fido line have to have data to qualify or is the talk&text plan (w/o data) good enough?
2. If I were to order the "dummy" Fido line online (to avoid the activation fee), would I be able to port to Freedom without having to wait for the SIM card to arrive?
3. I see that some folks have managed to score a $10 monthly credit while others got a $5 credit. Would it be a safe bet to bank on the possibility of being offered the $10 credit?
4. Has anyone managed to get free 1,000 international calling minutes (to select countries) on top of this deal?

Many thanks for your insights :)
Sep 25, 2019
276 posts
310 upvotes
CrackerWeight wrote:
My friend not want to do the switch; she complain until she get high high manager. She tell them, if she switch; she will not come back.

She make deal with 6 months credit on each of the 3 lines. fido-fido-bc-ab-ymmv-fido-winback-45-25 ... #p33146725

Not as good as some, but I guess is ok and she happy.
Sep 16, 2014
102 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
ported to freedom prepaid on the weekend, no call or email yet

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)