[Fido] BC/AB - Fido Winback $45 25GB w/additional bonuses YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 4:58 am
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1435 posts
305 upvotes
Edmonton
sorry in advance if this question has been asked before. if i port to Fido, will they charge the $40 set up / activation fee? Few times I was at their stores, i kept forgetting to ask that question. TIA and stay safe.
Jan 18, 2017
370 posts
284 upvotes
I can’t wait until my contract runs out in a few weeks.

Gonna port out ASAP and wait for my win back.

So is it $40 with $200 device upgrade credit or $35 BYOD?

Also is the Shaw mobile price only for Shaw internet customers?
Sep 17, 2020
4 posts
8 upvotes
Today I also just got offered the $45 25GB, and $10 monthly credit for 24mo (but on 2yr contract). Should have read forum updates here & tried to negotiate to stay completely free of contract. Oh well, minor battles lost & I've been Fido for years and years anyways, so huge victories overall. All good...Was still just amazed/surprised they offered that extra $10 monthly credit at all. Pretty happy overall.

This forum has helped me a lot, so thought I'd pay it forward and just post my process below too. Apologies it's a bit lengthy, but hopefully helpful to someone:

Winback/Process:
--Few weeks back, Fido randomly gives me extra 10GB to my $50 4gb plan (so $50 14gb total) "forever".
--Whoo! Pretty awesome as-is! BUT...I'm a little greedy...
--So I see some blog articles and forums like this one mention that Fido is matching the shaw $45 mobile plan if you port out. So I decide to give it a shot since I was thinking about it anyway (already added a bunch of Shaw $0 dollar lines couple weeks ago).
--I notice Shaw data is slower/crappier for my phone. But still tolerable. So if it doesn't work, keeping shaw is acceptable too.
--I decide to go back to shaw, and add a line/port my number from fido to shaw mobile (and their $45 25gb deal) on Tues Sept 15.
--Received the Fido ambassador email Wed. 16th.
--Couldn't take some 9am early morning calls from them on Wed & Thurs (shows up "Unknown" on my phone--thought they were scam calls also).
--Called in regular Fido number to check billing info from closed account and also asked them to submit request for Winback team to call me at a more convenient time after lunch. (Also gives me piece of mind to know that the next Unknown call at requested time is more likely Fido vs Nigerian Prince).
--They called back today around 12 something (Fri 18th).

Call Process:
--Fido ambassador introduces self and says bla bla sorry to see you go, meow meow etc etc.
--I make sure I mention I left because of Shaw's $45 25gb plan.
--He immediately offers the $45 25Gb plan & pitch me the deal (I try to hide my excitement since I was counting on this. So I try to channel some lame drama skills & show that I'm still uncertain/waffling about the deal lol)
--I ask about phone device deals, and decide I don't need new phone or $200 device credit
--For the heck of it, I keep waffling about switching again for a while longer, asking all sorts of random silly questions.
--He finally then offers me the $10 monthly credit, but only on 2 yr contract. He pitches this by saying that Telecom companies can "change" your monthly no-contract plan "at any time"--they just never tell us this. I don't quite believe him, but since I'm cynical of telecoms & their fine print, I end up taking his word for it.
--I take the deal and they're mailing me the new sim card (apparently he can't apply new plan to my old sim).

That's it! So all that's left is to verify this deal is applied and all credits noted when I activate the new SIM and make sure the credits actually show up in 2nd billing cycle or so.

Hopefully nobody else here needs to purposely waffle like me and just gets the best deal possible without contract.

Cheers~
Oct 25, 2019
97 posts
26 upvotes
hey guys I am on the Fido $50/15GB and longgggg time Fido customer.

Looking at the success people are having by porting to Shaw Mobile on getting the Fido equal of $45/25GB I am really on the fence for going ahead and porting.

However, I read some reviews about Shaw Mobile which are quite honestly downright horrible. I am just worried, if I port out, what if Fido does not call me for Winback offer? I will be stuck with Shaw Mobile and their horrible service and even end up losing the $50/15GB.

Does Fido for sure call from the Winback team and offer the comparable? Has anyone got stuck?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1094 posts
2177 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mythical wrote: hey guys I am on the Fido $50/15GB and longgggg time Fido customer.

Looking at the success people are having by porting to Shaw Mobile on getting the Fido equal of $45/25GB I am really on the fence for going ahead and porting.

However, I read some reviews about Shaw Mobile which are quite honestly downright horrible. I am just worried, if I port out, what if Fido does not call me for Winback offer? I will be stuck with Shaw Mobile and their horrible service and even end up losing the $50/15GB.

Does Fido for sure call from the Winback team and offer the comparable? Has anyone got stuck?
Add a new line on your Fido account before porting out - they should be able to set you up with $45/11GB without a contract at Fido.

In a couple of days port out the new line to freedom (prepaid) and try winback. When dealing with Fido winback, tell them you ported to Shaw Mobile on the $45/25GB postpaid plan and will only move back if you get $35/25GB (includes a $10 monthly discount for 24 months) on BYOD. If they say no, hang up and call them again to speak to another winback rep.

Worst case, if they don’t give you the $35/25GB plan via winback, you’ll still retain your old $50/15GB line with Fido although I doubt why they wouldn't give it to you.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Oct 25, 2019
97 posts
26 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: Add a new line on your Fido account before porting out - they should be able to set you up with $45/11GB without a contract at Fido.

In a couple of days port out the new line to freedom (prepaid) and try winback. When dealing with Fido winback, tell them you ported to Shaw Mobile on the $45/25GB postpaid plan and will only move back if you get $35/25GB (includes a $10 monthly discount for 24 months) on BYOD. If they say no, hang up and call them again to speak to another winback rep.

Worst case, if they don’t give you the $35/25GB plan via winback, you’ll still retain your old $50/15GB line with Fido although I doubt why they wouldn't give it to you.
Hey thanks for the advice.. but I am a bit confused.. appreciate if you can clarify this approach.

so I activate a new line on the same account. Get the $45/11GB on that line. Then, port that same line over to Shaw...right? Once I start getting the winback calls negotiate on the $35/25GB plan... ok now, assume they give it to me.. that new line gets ported back to Fido.. so far so good.. but that plan in not on my original phone number right? I can't change my number. I've had it for years. Is there something I am missing or not understanding?

Line of course I would deactivate the additional line at Fido the moment it has served its purpose.

Also, a side question.. I see people are porting out and porting in for just a few days.. I assume you are paying pro-rated charges to Shaw for the few days worth of service? Correct? FYI- never ported out ever loll...

Thanks in advance much!!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1094 posts
2177 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mythical wrote: Hey thanks for the advice.. but I am a bit confused.. appreciate if you can clarify this approach.

so I activate a new line on the same account. Get the $45/11GB on that line. Then, port that same line over to Shaw...right? Once I start getting the winback calls negotiate on the $35/25GB plan... ok now, assume they give it to me.. that new line gets ported back to Fido.. so far so good.. but that plan in not on my original phone number right? I can't change my number. I've had it for years. Is there something I am missing or not understanding?

Line of course I would deactivate the additional line at Fido the moment it has served its purpose.

Also, a side question.. I see people are porting out and porting in for just a few days.. I assume you are paying pro-rated charges to Shaw for the few days worth of service? Correct? FYI- never ported out ever loll...

Thanks in advance much!!

Hey no problem.

I’m 99% certain you qualify. The only possible disqualifier I see is that you’re already on a winback deal which is why I thought you’d be better off trying this with a second line.

You could try with your first line, but I don’t see a documented case anywhere of anyone with a $50/15GB plan getting the $35/25GB deal after porting out. That’s really my only hang up. Again I’m not a Fido rep or anything. I only know what I know because I’ve ported out 3 times this month and have had some good exposure to the subject.

I also have a $50/15GB line that I had decided not to touch but it was an easier decision for me as I'm not really married to any of the numbers on my Fido account and most people I know have iMessage/WhatsApp.

So if you follow the steps in my previous post, you’re likely going to be left with this:

Fido Line 1: $50/15GB BYOP
Fido Line 2: $45/25GB BYOP + $10 monthly discount for 24 months.

After this, you *could* try to port out line 1 to another freedom prepaid sim and then port it back to line 2 so you are left with just Line 2 and your $35/25GB plan. I'm afraid it's not possible to just move a number from one line to another whilst being with the same carrier.

Again, I don’t know if it’ll work but you could do this if you’re really attached to your old number at your own risk.

What and ass backwards dance they're having us perform here eh?

Good luck bud!

EDIT: Missed this part, sorry!

mythical wrote:

Yes, with Shaw mobile you will be a postpaid customer. They will do a credit check and your final charges will be prorated to the day you are ported-back into Fido. Also, Shaw charges a $20 connection fee. Make sure they waive that upfront or provide something that says you are not going to be on the hook for it.

If you move to Freedom, there's no credit check if you sign up for a prepaid line (cheapest talk/text plan is $15/month) but you will not get any money back when you port back into Fido as prepaid payments are non-refundable.

Just remember that when you are dealing with Fido winback, just tell them you moved to Shaw Mobile ($45/25GB) regardless of the route you take as that's really all they care about and they cannot see what plan you have or whether you're prepaid or postpaid.
Last edited by vancityguy0 on Sep 19th, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 25, 2019
97 posts
26 upvotes
d1gdug wrote: super hot, did this with Fido last time to get on the 15gb plan and will gladly do it again

Thanks OP
I am on the same $50/15GB plan. But I am hearing news that if you are already on that plan there is chance that this $45/25GB would not be offered to you.

If you do end up porting out, can you report back here please? I am really on the fence on porting out. Don't want to lose my $50/15GB and stay on Shaw. Heard Shaw's network is pretty crap ATM
Sep 25, 2019
276 posts
310 upvotes
Thank You!

Me and my friend have 3 lines for $40 for 5 gb + 10 gb bonus + 5 hrs interenet + Canada Talk.

My friend called customer service to complain because other cheaper.

Customer say nothing they can do. She complain more and supervisor's supervisor (3 higher) talk to us for over 1 hour.

She gave all 3 lines free for 6-months each; it make is $30 a month for 2 year contract. They say no phone, only this deal; take of nothing, so we take.

Not as good as the $35 for 25 gb, but I hope it is enough data.
Sep 16, 2014
102 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
mythical wrote: I am on the same $50/15GB plan. But I am hearing news that if you are already on that plan there is chance that this $45/25GB would not be offered to you.

If you do end up porting out, can you report back here please? I am really on the fence on porting out. Don't want to lose my $50/15GB and stay on Shaw. Heard Shaw's network is pretty crap ATM
ported out today - so far its been fine
Oct 25, 2019
97 posts
26 upvotes
d1gdug wrote: ported out today - so far its been fine
Which city are you located if you don't mind me asking? I am thinking of porting out too. Just worried about the service. And ofcourse actual plan is to get fido to match and then come back.

Also, what plan were you on Fido?

Thanks!
May 10, 2012
51 posts
18 upvotes
Pickering
Any way an Ontarian can somehow take advantage of this. Would you need a BC/AB address? Or would requesting a AB number be sufficient.
Oct 25, 2019
97 posts
26 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: Hey no problem.

I’m 99% certain you qualify. The only possible disqualifier I see is that you’re already on a winback deal which is why I thought you’d be better off trying this with a second line.

You could try with your first line, but I don’t see a documented case anywhere of anyone with a $50/15GB plan getting the $35/25GB deal after porting out. That’s really my only hang up. Again I’m not a Fido rep or anything. I only know what I know because I’ve ported out 3 times this month and have had some good exposure to the subject.

I also have a $50/15GB line that I had decided not to touch but it was an easier decision for me as I'm not really married to any of the numbers on my Fido account and most people I know have iMessage/WhatsApp.

So if you follow the steps in my previous post, you’re likely going to be left with this:

Fido Line 1: $50/15GB BYOP
Fido Line 2: $45/25GB BYOP + $10 monthly discount for 24 months.

After this, you *could* try to port out line 1 to another freedom prepaid sim and then port it back to line 2 so you are left with just Line 2 and your $35/25GB plan. I'm afraid it's not possible to just move a number from one line to another whilst being with the same carrier.

Again, I don’t know if it’ll work but you could do this if you’re really attached to your old number at your own risk.

What and ass backwards dance they're having us perform here eh?

Good luck bud!

EDIT: Missed this part, sorry!

Yes, with Shaw mobile you will be a postpaid customer. They will do a credit check and your final charges will be prorated to the day you are ported-back into Fido. Also, Shaw charges a $20 connection fee. Make sure they waive that upfront or provide something that says you are not going to be on the hook for it.

If you move to Freedom, there's no credit check if you sign up for a prepaid line (cheapest talk/text plan is $15/month) but you will not get any money back when you port back into Fido as prepaid payments are non-refundable.

Just remember that when you are dealing with Fido winback, just tell them you moved to Shaw Mobile ($45/25GB) regardless of the route you take as that's really all they care about and they cannot see what plan you have or whether you're prepaid or postpaid.

Hey thanks again

Your first advice suggested moving to freedom prepaid versus Shaw. When fido winback eventually calls dont they know which operator I moved to? Even if they don't and I saw shaw while actually being on Freedom. So fine theyll give me the shaw price match plan but for port in now they do need to know my real current cellular operator right? No? I'm confused. Never ported lol

I know no one sees the plan. I'm only confused about the operator. Thanks!!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1094 posts
2177 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mythical wrote: Hey thanks again

Your first advice suggested moving to freedom prepaid versus Shaw. When fido winback eventually calls dont they know which operator I moved to? Even if they don't and I saw shaw while actually being on Freedom. So fine theyll give me the shaw price match plan but for port in now they do need to know my real current cellular operator right? No? I'm confused. Never ported lol

I know no one sees the plan. I'm only confused about the operator. Thanks!!
The person what'll port you back from freedom to Fido doesn’t care which of the two you port back from. I ported back two of my lines today. When the rep asked me the name of the carrier, I said Freedom and I had no issues.
Oct 25, 2019
97 posts
26 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: The person what'll port you back from freedom to Fido doesn’t care which of the two you port back from. I ported back two of my lines today. When the rep asked me the name of the carrier, I said Freedom and I had no issues.
So is the winback team who offers you the plan not the same person/team who actually completes the port process? Like taking your operator name and account number etc.?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)