Cell Phones

Fido bill is $546

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2009 3:32 pm
Nov 16, 2009
6 posts

Fido bill is $546

So I just received my Fido bill for December, and it is a whopping $546. My regular iPhone 3G bill is about $130, and $130 is all I can afford. This is what happened:

In September I signed up for "Unlimited Canadian Long Distance — $20 per month - Enjoy as many calls as you want to anywhere in Canada for one low price." It sounded like a good deal, and all of my family lives in Quebec, so I knew I'd take advantage of it. Unfortunately, I really thought it was unlimited as advertised, unaware that since my plan has 100 daytime minutes, with unlimited evening and weekends, my long distance during the day was not unlimited at all.

I called Fido informing them of the situation and asked them to take off the extra charge of $380 + tax this time and that I'd be more careful in the future, in reply they said they could take 50% off. I told them that in two years I have never paid late, and it was an honest mistake since I really thought it was unlimited, especially when double checking the website and not seeing any asterisk stating "more details below" or a note saying that it's not really unlimited and your regular airtime applies. I repeatedly asked for a supervisor, a manager, or the retentions dept. anyone with the power to waive the fee, but the customer service agent kept saying it wasn't possible, and finally, that they would have a supervisor review the tape from when I signed up for the long distance and see if I was informed that it's not really unlimited.

I made loads of long distance calls in September and the bill was fine, so I was completely sure it was unlimited. Is there nothing I can do? I simply cannot afford a $546 bill, and am completely shocked right now.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
Sadly, this is a common problem.

What the employees at Telus/Bell/Rogers fail to tell clients / what clients should already know is that a cell phone is not the same thing as a home phone.

While it is unlimited long distance (ie. you wont pay for your long distance minutes), your regular daytime/nighttime/anytime minutes still apply. Thus, if you have 50 daytime minutes and you use 100 minutes talking long distance, your LD is free but you still used up all your 50 minutes and 50 extra that you must pay for.

Ultimately, clients should know this. But most dont. When I worked at Bell, we were specifically told NOT to tell this to clients and then, sure enough, they call in with crazy bills that we would not get permission to adjust.

You can either take the half or spend hours and hours fighting and arguing over it. At the end of the day, you both share the responsibility.
Please keep sigs clean
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
That is a shocker bill, hope you have better resolution than 50%.

You can always use Skype (app is free), then it's $3/month unlimited to N.A. over wifi, and over your data plan if your phone is jailbroken. You can try it at home without signing up for anything. Download Skype on iTunes, dial 1-800-GOOG-411, than ask for a business in Quebec, it will call it for free. Actually, you can call any business long distance this way, even on your home phone. On your iPhone, it is not using phone minutes because the call is happening over your computer's router. Skype allows one free landline call, so you can test it by calling someone or your home phone too. Since 1-800 numbers are free on Skype, there are a few 1-800 services to residential numbers, but it's usually limited to 5min and you have to listen to ads.

If you want to receive calls via Skype with your same cell number, Skype offers it for another $6/month.

There is a way to do free calls with a SIPclient or using a Hotspot Shield with Google Voice but the setup is a little more technical, and the latter requires to wait for a GV invite. GV will be amazing once it's setup in Canada.
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
so let me get this straight.. you more than your alloted 100 daytime bucket of minutes to make calls on your unlimited long distance plan and thought it would increase your daytime bucket to unlimited?

hold on while i crawl back on my chair after i almost had a heart attach lauighing.

are you fo'real? hahahahahahahahahahahahah

u didnt know a long distance call on a cellphone uses long distance minutes + local minutes too? omg i just fell off my chair again.

oh well. ignorance is not an excuse. just pay it and learn the lesson so it does not happen again.
How do you like dem apples, Bro?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Just so that I understand you, you thought that by adding this addon that only costs $20, you could get unlimited outgoing? If yes, then why would anybody get expenaive plan with lots of minutes, when they can get the most basic $20 plan, and add this addon for $20, and have unlimited calling for $40/month.
See what I mean?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
where's that face palm gif....when you need it the most :|
Dec 15, 2002
148 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
Lulz wrote: Just so that I understand you, you thought that by adding this addon that only costs $20, you could get unlimited outgoing? If yes, then why would anybody get expenaive plan with lots of minutes, when they can get the most basic $20 plan, and add this addon for $20, and have unlimited calling for $40/month.
See what I mean?
Quoted for truth.

On another note, you're paying $130/month and only have 100 daytime minutes? Sounds like it's time to get on the horn with retentions and work out a better plan. That's almost as amazingly brutal as thinking you'd get unlimited calling for $20..
Nov 16, 2009
6 posts
chadjustine: That's terrible. I will definitely challenge the bill. Thanks for the info.

zoolander: Thank you for the information about Skype, I've used Skype before but never really looked into making outside calls with it. I am definitely excited for Google Voice.

Paolo, Lulz, thelefteyeguy, romano: C'mon you guys, it said on the website "Unlimited Canadian Long Distance — $20 per month - Enjoy as many calls as you want to anywhere in Canada for one low price." is it so hard to believe I thought that meant I could make an unlimited amount of Long Distance calls and my regular 100 minutes for local calls? It's not like the girl on the phone told me anything to contradict that, and I have unlimited incoming, unlimited weekends & evenings. Don't get out your facepalm gifs just yet.

I do agree, my 100 daytime minutes is a joke. I still have 2 years contract with FIDO, but at this point I am ready to cancel it all ECF be damned.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
L wrote: chadjustine: That's terrible. I will definitely challenge the bill. Thanks for the info.

Paolo, Lulz, thelefteyeguy, romano: C'mon you guys, it said on the website "Unlimited Canadian Long Distance — $20 per month - Enjoy as many calls as you want to anywhere in Canada for one low price." is it so hard to believe I thought that meant I could make an unlimited amount of Long Distance calls and my regular 100 minutes for local calls? It's not like the girl on the phone told me anything to contradict that, and I have unlimited incoming, unlimited weekends & evenings. Don't get out your facepalm gifs just yet.

Perhaps I wasnt clear ... you DO share some responsibility in this, whether you choose to admit it or not. Yes, perhaps FIDO could have been more clear but at the end of the day, you should have known your regular minutes would still have been used. Like I said, them offering 50% off the bill is a pretty good offer considering the circumstances. Id take it if I were you.
Please keep sigs clean
Nov 16, 2009
6 posts
Hmm... Don't they advertise they'll send a text message when a client has used up 75% of the plan? I wish they had for me.

I understand your view point, but I am not paying $380 + tax for an honest mistake. 50% off is not a good deal either, when I've been a perfect customer for two years and my bill is over $100 every month for one phone. I'd sooner cancel everything and not give the company a dime more.

I guess I am on my own since no one seems to have any advice for my situation with Fido. Thanks any way.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
L wrote: Hmm... Don't they advertise they'll send a text message when a client has used up 75% of the plan? I wish they had for me.

I understand your view point, but I am not paying $380 + tax for an honest mistake. 50% off is not a good deal either, when I've been a perfect customer for two years and my bill is over $100 every month for one phone. I'd sooner cancel everything and not give the company a dime more.

I guess I am on my own since no one seems to have any advice for my situation with Fido. Thanks any way.
Hold on ... you just admitted you made a mistake yet you feel you have no responsibility and shouldnt pay? Uhhh ok.

Even if you cancel, you will STILL have to pay this $380 bill PLUS any penalties that come with cancelling the contract. Either way, you are going to pay.

You have been getting advice .. its just not what YOU want to hear and you are pouting about it.
Please keep sigs clean
Dec 15, 2002
148 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
chadjustine wrote: Hold on ... you just admitted you made a mistake yet you feel you have no responsibility and shouldnt pay? Uhhh ok.

Even if you cancel, you will STILL have to pay this $380 bill PLUS any penalties that come with cancelling the contract. Either way, you are going to pay.

You have been getting advice .. its just not what YOU want to hear and you are pouting about it.
[IMG]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/c ... c/340x.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
i've been an ebay customer for years, paying off every purchase i've made. however i made a purchase that i cannot afford, i don't want to pay and i should not have to since i'm such a good customer.. i am in complete shock that FIDO (err i mean ebay) would do this to me.. ya right. i hope u got the reality check that u so need from reading these replies.

what's wrong with getting LD calling cards? there's also a cheap call-back feature for canadian long distance calls, but i forgot the name of this.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
If you look on their website it very clearly states local minutes apply when making a long distance call.

How will I be charged for making long-distance calls?

If you’re within your local calling area, you pay for your airtime as usual, plus long-distance charges (rates vary depending on where you’re calling). Outside your local calling area, long distance charges and additional roaming charges may apply.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/faq/faq_long_distance
Nov 16, 2009
6 posts
lol Thank you for the face palm gif, and I haven't seen the 2nd one in awhile.

chadjustine: We're going to have to agree to disagree. I made what I'm finding out is a common mistake because I wasn't informed by Fido. There was no small print, and I didn't realize I should ask twenty questions when adding what is called an "Unlimited Long Distance" option.
In all seriousness, it would be in Fido's best interest to take off the charge, as I would continue being a loyal client for many, many more years to come, recommend Fido to others, etc. Good customer service pays the bills.
What is most confusing is that I made Long Distance calls all I liked in September and October, and the bill was $130 as always. Anyway, I appreciate the posts, but am still hoping they'll waive it. I will talk to them for any amount of hours necessary.

goJays: Not the same situation, I signed up for a $20 long distance plan. I didn't bid $380 on a $20 item.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
L wrote: Hmm... Don't they advertise they'll send a text message when a client has used up 75% of the plan? I wish they had for me.

You made a 'mistake' by not reviewing what you purchased and made an idiotic assumption that all your LD calls are free, rather then question the plan you decided to be a Paris Hilton wannabe and called as much as you could, then became shocked when you saw you had to pay. It's bad enough to claim you didn't know and got a 50% cut out of the bill you made for yourself and you still are trying to blame Fido for their lack of service. Nice scam you are running there.

Pardon me while I laugh in your face. How are you a perfect customer if you run up a 500$ bill and decide you don't want to pay for it?
Feb 7, 2006
564 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Firebot wrote: You made a 'mistake' by not reviewing what you purchased and made an idiotic assumption that all your LD calls are free, rather then question the plan you decided to be a Paris Hilton wannabe and called as much as you could, then became shocked when you saw you had to pay. It's bad enough to claim you didn't know and got a 50% cut out of the bill you made for yourself and you still are trying to blame Fido for their lack of service. Nice scam you are running there.

Pardon me while I laugh in your face. How are you a perfect customer if you run up a 500$ bill and decide you don't want to pay for it?

hey wth dude, the guy needs advice ..if you cant help him then just dont bother posting
:)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
doombox414 wrote: hey wth dude, the guy needs advice ..if you cant help him then just dont bother posting
He's been given advice to take the 50% and run, but it's not acceptable to him and believes he is owed a free pass. We are advising him he's being ridiculous. No one is going to advise him that he's right and he should continue fighting, because he's not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)