Travel

FIDO Call & txt forwarding while travelling.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2021 10:17 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY

FIDO Call & txt forwarding while travelling.

Hello, we are planning to travel to India for few months and wanted to have calls and texts to be forwarded to Indian phone number. I am not particular about calls, but just texts as I have MFA and need access to OTP codes to login into multiple sites. What are my options? FIDO roaming itself is very expensive. Is there any other service others used?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
You can leave your phone in Canada and install an app that will forward all texts, etc. that it receives to your Indian phone number. This doesn't involve Fido at all. You just need to have your phone plugged into a charger the entire month. Tasker is one app I use for automating a lot of things (I already have it auto-responding to certain texts) and it can definitely do that, but there are Android apps that only deal with forwarding texts and are easier to use. There are also apps that mirror your phone's screen on your Indian phone so you can compose a text on your Canadian phone to respond and the recipient won't know the difference.

If you want to take your phone with you to India, just use your Fido SIM card in a spare phone for the above.
Jun 17, 2018
767 posts
1440 upvotes
Check to see if Fido provides Wi-Fi calling and if your phone is compatible. When I was with Freedom Mobile (on a prepaid plan), I set up Wi-Fi calling and then turned off the cellular connection and connected using Wi-Fi. Although the name is Wi-Fi calling, it also works for texting (SMS). Then calls and texts can be made and received anywhere in the world as if one is still in Canada, as long as one is connected to Wi-Fi. If Fido doesn't have Wi-Fi calling, you could sign up for an inexpensive prepaid Freedom plan for the interim and add the Freedom number for MFA accounts. You could also forward calls from your Fido number to your Freedom number, probably at no charge. Check with Fido.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prepaid-plans
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Receiving text does not count towards Fido roaming.

Turn OFF data and do not answer the phone. Your inbound text will be free.

If you send an outbound text then you will be hit with the daily fee. If you think you will do this then call Fido BEFORE you leave Canada and opt out. Then texts will cost you $0.75 each to send.

Whatever you do, for either of these options, turn OFF data. And data usage will either trigger the daily fee or very expensive roaming charges.