Cell Phones

Fido Expiring the 10% BYOD discount???!!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2019 7:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2108 posts
1117 upvotes
Montreal

Fido Expiring the 10% BYOD discount???!!!

WTF! I got a note on my last bill that Fido is expiring my 10% BYOD discount that I've had for 10+ years. How can they do that? Is it legal?

"YOUR MOBILE MONTHLY FEE DISCOUNT IS EXPIRING
The 10% Off No-Term Monthly Fee discount you are currently receiving on this line is
being expired. We're writing to let you know that this discount will be removed on the
first bill you receive on or after May 15, 2019. Your plan continues to offer excellent
value - including access to Fido Roam (TM), Fido XTRA and a network that covers 97% of
Canadians. The rest of your Fido mobile service will remain the same. This change is made
in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code. If you would like to respond to this notice,
have questions, or wish to cancel or make changes to your mobile service, please refer to
the Contact Us section of this bill. Thanks for being a Fido customer."
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
3 replies
Jun 2, 2010
591 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
deal_king wrote: Is it legal?
As long as they give you 30 days notice, they can do pretty much whatever they want. And Fido (Rogers 2) wants more of your money!
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19476 posts
8954 upvotes
Oakville
The Wireless Code only protects you from material changes to your plan while you're under contract, as far as I know. If you're not under contract (ie just month to month, which I assume you are since you're on a BYOD plan), they can feel free to increase your price as much as they want. I'm frankly surprised you've managed to hold onto that discount as long as you have.
Apr 11, 2011
395 posts
124 upvotes
Memramcook
deal_king wrote: WTF! I got a note on my last bill that Fido is expiring my 10% BYOD discount that I've had for 10+ years. How can they do that? Is it legal?
I posted that a while back. With that same note, they also eliminated my Welcome to fido credit of $10 that I had since they came to NB in 2013(?). They also increased my plan $5 for the first time a couple of months back, So no more grandfathered plan. Since I was paying more for my plan and also more that the competition, I changed companies for 1 of my lines.

So instead of getting more money from me they are getting less. They called me after I ported out and offered a plan that was $3 cheaper, with 2 GB instead of 600 MB and a "free" phone. Not worth the effort since I now have 3 GB.

Bob