Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18614 posts
2347 upvotes
Woodbridge

Fido Extra. Why I'm back with them.

I signed up for the free two Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4 2020 & 4GB for $10. I'm giving them to my girl's sister and niece for Christmas.

Today, I got a free Veggie Burger & Poutine from Harvey's. Reminded me why I stop going but free nonetheless. LOL

I also got $10 free iTunes gift card for simply using pre-authorized payment. I bought Christopher Nolan's latest, TENET.

Fido Extra is pretty amazing especially if you can take advantage of the offers. It makes up their parent company, Rogers.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
5 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19648 posts
9099 upvotes
Oakville
Hrmm... I was tempted by their current promo on the Pixel 4a 5g ($20 a month with $0 down)... With a $55 12gb plan currently being offered, I'd only be 3gb less per month than what I'm currently getting with Koodo. Tempting, tempting...
Last edited by wearysky on Dec 16th, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19078 posts
5092 upvotes
Toronto
I almost never took advantage of those Extra deals. However, I did sometimes use the Fido Data unlimited hours.

However. I couldn't pass up the $50 20 GB Rogers EPP plan, esp. since I want to try out 5G and may add an Apple Watch. I bought myself (Rogers) and my wife (Telus) cellular Apple Watches for Dec. 25. Both of us are on EPP plans.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4487 posts
2776 upvotes
Gotham
Free is good. When it started, it seemed like they copied T-Mobile Tuesdays. T-Mobile does weekly giveaways.

I'm with T-Mobile US and I get free MLB.tv every year - I use to pay for this so it's worth about $100 to me. I also got free Pandora and some other streaming services. Plus every week there is some free food - it's either a Whopper, Dunkin, Popeyes, Taco Bell, Starbucks, Baskin Robbins, Papa John's or some other random chain restaurant. They also give out branded merchandise. I have beach towels, socks, umbrellas, barbecue paraphernalia, sunglasses, mugs, a pencil case, hats, and more.

The former CEO, John Legere was quite the character - he had long hair, his own emoji and only wore T-Mobile branded clothing - much of which were the giveaways. He also had a weekly Facebook cooking show, Slow Cooker Sunday. He was a big part of the brand and still is today to some degree after he left TMobile earlier this year.

But I think the best thing that they gave away was free data. There used to be a Free Data for Life plan that gave the user 200mb of tablet data monthly. The intro offer was 5gb of data for $10 that was valid for five months. It was supposed to be one time and for one device but some were able to renew it and use it on different devices. I had the 5gb/$10/five month deal from 2015 until 2019. I still have the 200mb of free monthly data after they closed the cheap data loophole. The data plan also works in Canada and Mexico. I could imagine if Fido did this. RFDers would have 100 accounts each! Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 3, 2020
34 posts
23 upvotes
I never really found the perks all that useful. I signed up for preauthorized payment by default and never got the iTunes offer.