Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Fido $50/15GB unlimited Talk canadawide, unlimited text worldwide -YMMV (winback)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 9:43 am
Jul 8, 2009
34 posts
18 upvotes
Pelham
Oh my. I am definitely going ahead with this. Wow, thank you.

What's the bill for opening the account for a couple days? And, after you received the winback email and reopened it, how do you port your current number into Fido to use? Which I assume would close my koodo account then.
Jun 24, 2019
161 posts
152 upvotes
epitaph wrote: Oh my. I am definitely going ahead with this. Wow, thank you.

What's the bill for opening the account for a couple days? And, after you received the winback email and reopened it, how do you port your current number into Fido to use? Which I assume would close my koodo account then.
No problem. It was $64.15 after tax. A new billing period started on the second day so I was charged for a full month. Whatever I paid on top of $50 + tax went towards my 2nd bill because they resumed the billing period after reopening my account. It ended up being $49.46 after tax instead of $56.50.

You have to call Fido to port your number. I did it a day later and porting will cancel your service with Koodo.
Aug 30, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
bowmah wrote: By switching, you mean you actually left or did they call before the porting date?
I left fido, ported my number, and used the service then fido called me offering this deal.
Dec 15, 2007
276 posts
95 upvotes
Quebec City
Just a silly question, you port over, it can be to ANY plan right? even EPP?
Apr 21, 2017
86 posts
38 upvotes
Yes,

To make this whole process cost effective (not signing contracts, getting checks, or picking a medium-large plan) just port to a “Pay as you Go” plan.

Companies to port to: Public Mobile (Good option), Koodo, Freedom

The Fido Winback team don’t know what plan you ported to, nor do they probably care (they might ask just to see what your needs were so they can match a deal plan to it). The purpose of them is to win you back. That’s it.

If you want a phone, wait til the new models come out, as they will be trying to clear the older stock out. Credit for phone will most likely go from $200 back to $500.

The Winback rep had loose lips, so I was asking him questions ha.
Aug 11, 2016
163 posts
74 upvotes
This still works by porting out? I'm scared to port out and lose the deal.
Apr 29, 2008
6 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
Just to confirm this still works.

Apply for Sim early last week; cancelled on Thursday. Called the number posted on this thread and no problem getting the winback ($50 for 15Gb); got new phone and $200 bill credit as well.

Tried the same trick before with Rogers but last I check (few weeks since the line was ported) and still not on the "list" Fido apparently doesn't have a "list". The Rep was just checking that I cancelled the line few days prior and I'm "eligible" for the deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1492 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
IAMALPHA wrote: Yes,

To make this whole process cost effective (not signing contracts, getting checks, or picking a medium-large plan) just port to a “Pay as you Go” plan.

The Fido Winback team don’t know what plan you ported to, nor do they probably care (they might ask just to see what your needs were so they can match a deal plan to it). The purpose of them is to win you back. That’s it.

If you want a phone, wait til the new models come out, as they will be trying to clear the older stock out. Credit for phone will most likely go from $200 back to $500.

Don't you need to buy a PM sim card ?
Aug 11, 2016
163 posts
74 upvotes
zerodk wrote: Just to confirm this still works.

Apply for Sim early last week; cancelled on Thursday. Called the number posted on this thread and no problem getting the winback ($50 for 15Gb); got new phone and $200 bill credit as well.

Tried the same trick before with Rogers but last I check (few weeks since the line was ported) and still not on the "list" Fido apparently doesn't have a "list". The Rep was just checking that I cancelled the line few days prior and I'm "eligible" for the deal.
how long did you wait to call after porting out?
Apr 29, 2008
6 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
ead009 wrote: how long did you wait to call after porting out?
Called today (Monday)....so Thursday to Monday
Jun 24, 2019
161 posts
152 upvotes

Thanks for the info. I didn't think there would be a difference and it turns out that Fido is the safest bet.
Dec 15, 2007
276 posts
95 upvotes
Quebec City
Cool! If I have an old Koodo sim, can I use that to port my Fido number?

edit: from Koodo assist

You can only reuse an old SIM card if:
-The SIM card was originally assigned to you.
-The line was cancelled less than 90 days ago.

IAMALPHA wrote: Yes,

Jul 9, 2009
326 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
OK. Fed up with Fido refusing to give me a better plan over the past few years I switched over to Freedom. Ported my number over in-store and signed up for what I thought was $40/mo no contract for 9GB.

I was wrong and had actually been signed up for $55/mo for 9GB - the guy in the store had terrible English but reassured me a dozen times "yes yes yes yes forty dollar 5GB plus 4GB Bonus and five dollar digital discount bring it down more". Fought with Freedom's shithead customer service several times and they would just repeat themselves over and over again reiterating my supposed $55 plan. Not only that but the actual service has been HORSESHIT. I rarely had any data in North Delta and had no cell service in a few spots! Never ever again would I go with Freedom. Idiot in store didn't even tell me he was doing a hard credit pull.

Followed this thread and called the numbers listed in it. Most of the time no one would answer. Then I finally got some enthusiastic dude (1-844-836-5948) and told him:

"I ported my number over and some woman keeps calling from this number offering some sort of plan. I'm calling back to see if it's still available. I think it's $50 for 15GB?"

He checked my eligibility and came back saying that I was eligible. Had to give him my driver's license and credit card number with expiry date for a soft credit pull. He said I'd get the email with the tracking info for the new sim card and the email for the account agreement the next day. Got the emails the next day and got the sim card today. Called to activate and port my number (1-888-481-3436) back from Freedom. I'm up and running.

Don't bother leaving a voicemail on any of the winback numbers (1844-277-6920, 1-855-343-6946, 1-844-836-5948) just keep calling until you get someone. If they don't offer or say you're eligible for the $50/mo 15GB plan just hang up and try again later.
Jul 21, 2009
113 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga

How do I exactly apply for a sim? Do I go online and get a dirt cheap byob plan and cancel right away?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)