Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] FIDO: Exclusive plans for Rogers transfer customer YMMV?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 11:26 pm
[OP]
Sep 7, 2010
77 posts
29 upvotes
T.Dot

[Fido] FIDO: Exclusive plans for Rogers transfer customer YMMV?

Hi all,

My first 'hot deals' post so don't be cruel - I can edit. I switched from Rogers to FIDO today and the online agent made me aware of "exclusive deals" which I assumed was from being a transferring Rogers customer. Better than the online plans so I thought that everyone should be aware.

"We have $25 250MB, $35 1GB, $40 2GB, $45 5GB, $50 8GB and $65 15GB. All come with unlimited talk & text in Canada"

Versus online:
$45 1GB
$50 4GB
$55 6GB
$60 8 GB
$75 10 GB
Thread Summary
Rogers to FIDO Exclusive deals:
$25 250MB
$35 1GB
$40 2GB
$45 5GB
$50 8GB
$65 15GB
(unlimited talk & text in Canada)
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2172 posts
1302 upvotes
North Vancouver
Which did you go for?
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8285 posts
2882 upvotes
Mississauga
I assume thosr are bring your own phone prices.
Mar 31, 2018
111 posts
86 upvotes
How do you get this? Call?

What is the difference between Rogers and Fido? Does Fido have unlimited Canada wide?
Jan 11, 2020
3 posts
This is for someone moving from a prepaid plan to a postpaid plan.

Were you moving from a prepaid Rogers plan to a normal Fido plan? Otherwise the agent made a mistake which was in your favor.
Nov 30, 2019
225 posts
245 upvotes
Strange. Fido is owned by Rogers, so they end up getting your money at the end of the day anyways...doesn’t matter if it’s under the Fido brand or the Rogers wireless brand.

I wonder if these are effectively the same as retention plans / retention deals ?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1091 posts
873 upvotes
Toronto
good ol' interbrand migration!
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Apr 10, 2012
70 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Saw a chatr to Rogers migration offer today at Walmart. I know it’s not related to Fido directly but related to the overall Rogers brand.
Images
  • 0826A933-4C10-4EFD-B307-0CFF3B9E9D46.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1369 posts
838 upvotes
Near You
65 for 15GB not the worst, but still not a good price.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Dec 13, 2019
191 posts
147 upvotes
Merhar wrote: What is the difference between Rogers and Fido? Does Fido have unlimited Canada wide?
Fido is the "value brand" of Rogers and Rogers is considered the "premium" brand. Fido famously had coverage issues, and their network greatly expanded after Rogers bought them by piggybacking on to Rogers infrastructure. However, they shared a lot of infrastructure with Rogers -- at least in the beginning. It's all now under Rogers. In most cases, Rogers and Fido customers should not perceive a real difference in speed or quality of service. However, in the extreme case that if there is a bottleneck or contention for a tower (if that area is very lacking in Fido cell towers), a Fido customer will get bumped off in favour of a Rogers customer since Fido customers are considered less valuable than Rogers customers and it is Rogers infrastructure they're using (but not really since they're all part of Rogers). Thus, in this extreme case, the Fido customer may temporary "lose" service (call can't complete, call drop, data signal goes dead or the app or page stops loading temporarily), but those should also be transient and not noticeable in most cases. I was a Fido customer for a short period until I went back to -- Rogers -- lol. I didn't perceive a problem at all with Fido. Everything worked just as they would on Rogers. Furthermore, network speed would be slightly lower for Fido customers vs Rogers customers (3G vs LTE) from what I heard, though I didn't do a speed test to test this theory since I had an iPhone 4 at the time which was on 3G anyways regardless of my provider.

Back to the deal. This is not a bad deal really. I'm on a Rogers loyalty plan and with bonus data, get 9 GB/month for $50. So this is almost as good as a loyalty plan. I mean you're essentially still on the Rogers network at the end of the day with this deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2584 posts
1266 upvotes
Barrie
LesDeals wrote: Fido is the "value brand" of Rogers and Rogers is considered the "premium" brand. Fido famously had coverage issues, and their network greatly expanded after Rogers bought them by piggybacking on to Rogers infrastructure. However, they shared a lot of infrastructure with Rogers -- at least in the beginning. It's all now under Rogers. In most cases, Rogers and Fido customers should not perceive a real difference in speed or quality of service. However, in the extreme case that if there is a bottleneck or contention for a tower (if that area is very lacking in Fido cell towers), a Fido customer will get bumped off in favour of a Rogers customer since Fido customers are considered less valuable than Rogers customers and it is Rogers infrastructure they're using (but not really since they're all part of Rogers). Thus, in this extreme case, the Fido customer may temporary "lose" service (call can't complete, call drop, data signal goes dead or the app or page stops loading temporarily), but those should also be transient and not noticeable in most cases. I was a Fido customer for a short period until I went back to -- Rogers -- lol. I didn't perceive a problem at all with Fido. Everything worked just as they would on Rogers. Furthermore, network speed would be slightly lower for Fido customers vs Rogers customers (3G vs LTE) from what I heard, though I didn't do a speed test to test this theory since I had an iPhone 4 at the time which was on 3G anyways regardless of my provider.

Back to the deal. This is not a bad deal really. I'm on a Rogers loyalty plan and with bonus data, get 9 GB/month for $50. So this is almost as good as a loyalty plan. I mean you're essentially still on the Rogers network at the end of the day with this deal.
Fido is full LTE. I have a unlimited data tablet plan with them and I get 60Mb/s down through a TurboHub
Dec 13, 2019
191 posts
147 upvotes
RunnerForDeals wrote: Fido is full LTE. I have a unlimited data tablet plan with them and I get 60Mb/s down through a TurboHub
Thanks for the clarification. Smiling Face With Open Mouth I would imagine this would be the case since Fido and Rogers are essentially the same network and it's been a while since I've been a Fido customer.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2010
77 posts
29 upvotes
T.Dot
I went with FIDO with the 50$/8 GB plan. BUT, I just got a text today from Rogers saying I need to call them about something important about my account. *rubbing hands together*.