Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

Fido home internet - $32.50 / 75u and $37.50 / 150u

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2021 9:03 am
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2617 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
Signed up on Thursday for 150u with 50% off, received the black modem on Friday.

In bridge mode, with my own router, getting the same as others on wifi when next to router (~300 down, 16 up).

FS: Nothing
May 29, 2004
559 posts
175 upvotes
Fireball wrote: In my case, I was paying $55 on a promo rate, with it set to jump up to $110. While I do love the symmetrical upload, my personal use case can't justify paying 4 times more for it, which is why I've opted to switch.
$55 is not bad, heck cheaper than paying $60+ for 50/10 that i was paying before getting the fido one. I assuming it is one year promo, right?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3036 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
sonyHdr12 wrote: Got $150 MC today, I chose virtual card, I want to pay $150 enbridge bill , failed, what else I can use it?
When did you sign up FIDO internet?
Aug 26, 2012
286 posts
81 upvotes
bits1010 wrote: I had to log into the CarryTel portal. Click on the Invoices&Payment menu item (under the Billing section). Then to the right of the negative cash balance it shows "(credit)Your refund is ready, please click here to apply for the refund."

I clicked it and it instantly refunded $50.84 to my credit card. Upon reloading the page, the same thing popped up again but but with a negative balance of -$30.92. After clicking the "Your refund is ready, please click here to apply for the refund." it refunded that amount to my credit card. In both cases it indicates that it will take 2 - 5 days for the credit to appear. If you were not paying with a credit card, I assume you still have to apply it but it will take 10-15 business days for the cheque(s) to arrive in the mail.
Thanks for sharing that, I had no idea I needed to do it manually on their website, I thought Carrytel would auto refund. Maybe this way people who don't know will not get their refund.
Jun 7, 2007
988 posts
474 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bits1010 wrote: I had to log into the CarryTel portal. Click on the Invoices&Payment menu item (under the Billing section). Then to the right of the negative cash balance it shows "(credit)Your refund is ready, please click here to apply for the refund."

I clicked it and it instantly refunded $50.84 to my credit card. Upon reloading the page, the same thing popped up again but but with a negative balance of -$30.92. After clicking the "Your refund is ready, please click here to apply for the refund." it refunded that amount to my credit card. In both cases it indicates that it will take 2 - 5 days for the credit to appear. If you were not paying with a credit card, I assume you still have to apply it but it will take 10-15 business days for the cheque(s) to arrive in the mail.
Thanks, didn't know they had this in there, so if they didn't tell you the balance would've been in their system and never credit you back? That sounds scammy.

I just did it (clicked refund twice). And got 91 bucks back.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2241 posts
669 upvotes
Mississauga
anyone currently a customer get the promo rate?
Parents are being charged $40 for 75u service.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2019
1203 posts
878 upvotes
Ontario
TheGame wrote: Signed up on Thursday for 150u with 50% off, received the black modem on Friday.

In bridge mode, with my own router, getting the same as others on wifi when next to router (~300 down, 16 up).
Is this a new deal? How much you paid?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
3735 posts
3498 upvotes
guessguy wrote: anyone currently a customer get the promo rate?
Parents are being charged $40 for 75u service.
Yes, I did and I posted about it. Had several reps tell me no, then one let me upgrade to 150u for $37.50 (was paying $40 for 75u). I said sure and that happened... decided I would rather pay less and I called their retention line (shown via google). Spoke to the guy, explained that I was happy with 75u and would rather that at the previous charge of $32.50 and he had no issue giving me that offer. His system wasn't letting him apply the 50% off to the modem fee so he gave me an $11.30 credit in case the first month charged me the full $8.00 and he'd fix it after that. Very easy process and very happy with his service.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
screamer00 wrote: Is it possible to do it in router admin page? I would assume you can in there. Already have a replacement coming in the morning but need it to work @ night too.
The lock up problem I'm describing completely crashes the Rogers modem.
This is a common problem in all Rogers modems that I've run across from the older Cisco to the black (regular and A/C band units) and newer white tower Hitron modems.
Sometimes, you'll find that the wifi crashes but the wired conenctions still work. As far as I'm concerned, they're all related issues. Heat and age.
Aug 24, 2010
848 posts
456 upvotes
Is this deal expired? I don’t see it in their website anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Richard1986 wrote: Thanks, there's definitely going to be a lot more verifying on my part before I call Fido. The series of tests I conducted were done wirelessly, on the 2.4Ghz band. The speedtest surges up to the amount stated in the photo, then kind of stagnates there before the test ends.
Maybe I wasn't clear before, you're at the speed limit of the 2.4GHz band. Yes, there are ways to get faster speeds on 2.4GHz devices but ... you know what try this.
Login to your modem, usually 192.168.0.1:
username: cusadmin <-(all lowercase)
password: password or your WiFi password

Go to Wireless/ Basic Settings.
Make sure that 2.4GHz is selected.
You should see that, currently, 20MHz is selected.
Change it to 20/40MHz.
Make sure that WPS is disabled (This has nothing to do with the above. Doing this is a good practice)
Click on Save Settings.
If the modem doesn't restart on its own, restart it by either the menus or just pull and insert the power cable. (hard boot)

BTW, while in the Wireless settings, take a look on the right side of the screen at "Auth Mode". It should be at WPA2 only not Auto WPA or WPA2.
WPA is less secure and should not be used. This is also a good practice.
Verify that, after these changes are made, that the 5GHz "Auth Mode" is also set to WPA2 only.

Once this has been done, reconnect to the 2.4GHz band and run your speedtest. You should see a speed improvement.
Then again, this is completely dependent on your device and how many other wifi antennas there are around you, as well as how strong those signals are.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2623 posts
3724 upvotes
GTA
Canuck_TO wrote: Go to Wireless/ Basic Settings.
Make sure that 2.4GHz is selected.
You should see that, currently, 20MHz is selected.
Change it to 20/40MHz.
Make sure that WPS is disabled (This has nothing to do with the above. Doing this is a good practice)
Click on Save Settings.
If the modem doesn't restart on its own, restart it by either the menus or just pull and insert the power cable. (hard boot)

Once this has been done, reconnect to the 2.4GHz band and run your speedtest. You should see a speed improvement.
Then again, this is completely dependent on your device and how many other wifi antennas there are around you, as well as how strong those signals are.
Setting 2.4GHz to 20/40MHz may or may not help. A lot of 2.4GHz is very crowded and you may just get more interference with trying to 40MHz (you basically need double the free channels vs. 20MHz).
Try both and see what is better.

Overall though, you really need to be on 5GHz to get decent speeds.
If you need better wifi coverage, try to move the router or another (ideally wired) access point will help. Or one of the mesh wifi systems from Amazon, Google, Netgear, TP-Link, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
karlb wrote: Setting 2.4GHz to 20/40MHz may or may not help. A lot of 2.4GHz is very crowded and you may just get more interference with trying to 40MHz (you basically need double the free channels vs. 20MHz).
Try both and see what is better.

Overall though, you really need to be on 5GHz to get decent speeds.
If you need better wifi coverage, try to move the router or another (ideally wired) access point will help. Or one of the mesh wifi systems from Amazon, Google, Netgear, TP-Link, etc.
Ummm, I know this stuff already, but if you were saying this for others benefit. Ok.

When typing info for others, it's a struggle trying to figure out what to say without getting the "deer in the headlights" affect in others.
I tried to stay relevant without going off into too many tangents.

i can spew verbal diarrhea with the best of them. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3039 posts
1529 upvotes
Markham
Waiting for triple dip now, will switch out of Fido Ina month or so
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2623 posts
3724 upvotes
GTA
Canuck_TO wrote: Ummm, I know this stuff already, but if you were saying this for others benefit. Ok.
Sorry, yes more for Richard's and others. I should have been more clear.
Sep 22, 2019
2 posts
25jai wrote: Thanks, didn't know they had this in there, so if they didn't tell you the balance would've been in their system and never credit you back? That sounds scammy.

I just did it (clicked refund twice). And got 91 bucks back.
I also recently switched from Carrytel to Fido. FYI, this sentence is in the Cancellation Confirmation email I received:

"Once the devices are returned, please login into your Carry Telecom account at https://www.carrytel.ca/login.aspx , go to [Billing] - [Invoice&Payment] to check if any refundable balance and apply for your refund."
Jun 23, 2008
471 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
s-fu wrote: Same here, arrived at the door before 4pm. Found the CGN3U modem was not reset to default.
After reset, the modem is set in bridge mode. Speedtest result 304d/16u. Will see how it goes when streaming one 4K HDR10 and another 4K HDR.

Enjoy streaming with Fido.
Hi, how to set the bridge mode? just press the reset? if I'd like to go back as router, what shall I do?tks
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
annexguy wrote: Hi, how to set the bridge mode? just press the reset? if I'd like to go back as router, what shall I do?tks
You have to reset the modem to factory defaults.

From their site:

Locate the Reset button on the back of the modem.
Press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds.
After 10 seconds, release the button. The modem should restart and the lights will flash.