[Fido] Fido Home Internet - $50 or $100 Amazon/Walmart Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2020 2:28 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
43 posts
69 upvotes

[Fido] Fido Home Internet - $50 or $100 Amazon/Walmart Gift Card

Moved recently and had to sign up for internet service. Unfortunately prices seems to be pretty terrible right now due to COVID.
More budget TPIAs like CarryTel and Cannet do have some promos going on, but I didn't want to risk the possibility of throttling.

Was able to get this promo with Fido over their online chat. The promo doesn't seem to available in store or over the phone:
  • If you sign up for the unlimited 75 , we are giving away a 50$ gift card for Amazon or Walmart!
  • If you sign up for the unlimited 150 , we are giving away a 100$ gift card for Amazon or Walmart!
I signed up for 150u at $75/mo, works out to be ~$67/mo for the first year after deducting the gift card. Seems to be similar price as other more highly rated (?) TPIAs like TekSavvy or Start, but minus the activation fees and modem rental.

The terms of the promotion provided by the agent (sorry I forgot to ask for the expiry date of the promo):
  • Up to 6 weeks after your installation, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to register for your physical or electronic gift card.
  • You’ll have 45 days from the day you receive the email to do the registration. If you don’t register within 45 days, you’ll no longer be eligible for this promotion.
  • Be sure to check your junk mail folder to ensure you don’t miss the email.
  • Amazon Gift Card: Once we verify your eligibility; you’ll need to visit amazon.ca to redeem your gift card. If you don’t have an existing Amazon account, you’ll need to create one.
  • Walmart Gift Card: Once we verify your eligibility, you can visit a Walmart retail location or walmart.ca to redeem your gift card.
  • All the instructions for redeeming your gift card will be in the email we send you.
  • If you do not receive the registration email after 4 weeks, contact us and we’ll investigate the status of the email.
  • Your service must remain active for 30 days to be eligible for gift card.
Not a great deal compared to their promos back in December/January, or if you are eligible for a retention deal from Rogers, but posting this in case anyone else is in a similar situation and want to get service from a Tier 1 provider.
120 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1770 posts
937 upvotes
Cambridge
Really hope they offer their 50% off deal again for back to school. I've been able to get it the last 2 years. Fingers crossed for a third!
Dec 13, 2005
284 posts
148 upvotes
Carrytel has been really good for me in Ottawa, no issues for several years.
Aug 4, 2019
88 posts
59 upvotes
I got the 50% deal for fido150 and get close to 300 with no issues. 37.5 rather than 75 dollars

Its expiring in December, how likely are they to renew it if it ask?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33915 posts
19753 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm with Ebox on their $43 75/10 12mth promo plan and it's been the same when I was with robbers.
The speed is consistent all day and we're doubling our usage at a terabyte every month.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12031 posts
19178 upvotes
SPSPSPSP wrote: I got the 50% deal for fido150 and get close to 300 with no issues. 37.5 rather than 75 dollars

They usually do it around Black Friday ( back to school this year am not too sure )
The best it’s to check around that time if in no rush of course
Oct 8, 2008
84 posts
22 upvotes
Ontario
How does one find out how much internet they need? I'm moving soon and usage case is looking like 1-2 people in the house, some heavyish usage with downloading and/or streaming, and some smart devices (lightbulbs, smartlock) in addition to just 2 TVs, phone, computer. Not likely to be actively streaming on every device at once or anything though. I was thinking 150 might be the sweet spot? Or could I get away with 75?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1770 posts
937 upvotes
Cambridge
esaul17 wrote: How does one find out how much internet they need? I'm moving soon and usage case is looking like 1-2 people in the house, some heavyish usage with downloading and/or streaming, and some smart devices (lightbulbs, smartlock) in addition to just 2 TVs, phone, computer. Not likely to be actively streaming on every device at once or anything though. I was thinking 150 might be the sweet spot? Or could I get away with 75?
Either is going to be fine, just comes down to how fast you want to download. We're in a similar situation with 75 and zero issues. Downloads usually come down slightly faster than the advertised speeds.
Jan 12, 2003
643 posts
240 upvotes
I called yesterday to try and renew for my 50% promo, they told me to wait for an email offer to come in...urg.
Last edited by slade on Aug 5th, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Jan 12, 2003
643 posts
240 upvotes
SPSPSPSP wrote: I got the 50% deal for fido150 and get close to 300 with no issues. 37.5 rather than 75 dollars

You only get 300 for the first 30 seconds, then its down to 180 - speedboost, only long enought to artificailly inflate the speeds for the speedtest.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Feb 14, 2019
891 posts
854 upvotes
esaul17 wrote: How does one find out how much internet they need? I'm moving soon and usage case is looking like 1-2 people in the house, some heavyish usage with downloading and/or streaming, and some smart devices (lightbulbs, smartlock) in addition to just 2 TVs, phone, computer. Not likely to be actively streaming on every device at once or anything though. I was thinking 150 might be the sweet spot? Or could I get away with 75?
75 should be more than enough. Or get the 150 with the $100 gift card then downgrade. :)
Aug 30, 2018
280 posts
98 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote: Really hope they offer their 50% off deal again for back to school. I've been able to get it the last 2 years. Fingers crossed for a third!
Me too l. My back to school is expiring first week of September
Oct 8, 2008
84 posts
22 upvotes
Ontario
orbitdesign wrote: Either is going to be fine, just comes down to how fast you want to download. We're in a similar situation with 75 and zero issues. Downloads usually come down slightly faster than the advertised speeds.
75 megabits per second is 9.375 megabytes per second... I don't think I'm likely to be able to get that download speed based on the speed of where ever I am downloading from? Would my connection really be the bottleneck?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1770 posts
937 upvotes
Cambridge
esaul17 wrote: 75 megabits per second is 9.375 megabytes per second... I don't think I'm likely to be able to get that download speed based on the speed of where ever I am downloading from? Would my connection really be the bottleneck?
Depends on where you're downloading from. When I downloaded games from Steam I'm usually around 11MB/s for the entire download. If you're downloading from P2P, it'll vary based on the peers.
May 31, 2018
24 posts
307 upvotes
slade wrote: I called yesterday to try and renew for my 50% promo, they told me to wait for an email offer to come in...urg.
My 50% deal expired in Aug, and Fido did not extend it, but gave me $25 off (the $65 plan). So, not 50% again, but something closer to 40% off.