Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

Fido Home Internet - $50 or $100 Amazon/Walmart Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 4:05 pm
Aug 30, 2018
614 posts
336 upvotes
GTA
gmarkdotcom wrote: They pro-actively e-mailed me this deal. I did not need to do anything.
Oh alright. Fair enough. I'll wait then
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11269 upvotes
esaul17 wrote: How does one find out how much internet they need? I'm moving soon and usage case is looking like 1-2 people in the house, some heavyish usage with downloading and/or streaming, and some smart devices (lightbulbs, smartlock) in addition to just 2 TVs, phone, computer. Not likely to be actively streaming on every device at once or anything though. I was thinking 150 might be the sweet spot? Or could I get away with 75?
75 is more than enough.

I live off 50 with multiple streamers and have never had an issue.

Streaming (unless 4K) just isn't that much).
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11269 upvotes
esaul17 wrote: 75 megabits per second is 9.375 megabytes per second... I don't think I'm likely to be able to get that download speed based on the speed of where ever I am downloading from? Would my connection really be the bottleneck?
Absolutely. Most larger sites can hit 75Mbps pretty easily.

That said, how often are you downloading something really big?
Nov 23, 2011
435 posts
175 upvotes
North York
I was offered same deal and gladly took it. Could not be bothered looking around as have been happy with service past few years.
Very fair deal in my opinion.$40 per month unlimited.
Aug 8, 2007
839 posts
732 upvotes
I am approved for a new Fido modem as mine has issues but they seem to have limited (ie no) stock every time I call. One agent told me the black modem is faster but the white modem looks nicer. The black one he said is what Rogers uses. Another store agent (again no stock) said they are identical but all they get is black. Anyone know if the black one is better?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1714 posts
2238 upvotes
Toronto
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: I am approved for a new Fido modem as mine has issues but they seem to have limited (ie no) stock every time I call. One agent told me the black modem is faster but the white modem looks nicer. The black one he said is what Rogers uses. Another store agent (again no stock) said they are identical but all they get is black. Anyone know if the black one is better?
I have the black one (CGN3U), it's the same one I used to have with Rogers a few years back. Using it in bridge mode right now with no issues. When I used the built in WiFi with Rogers I remember having a lot of issues dropping the signal here and there. Not sure if that has improved but I recommend getting your own router/wifi and using bridge mode.
Aug 8, 2007
839 posts
732 upvotes
Majokito wrote: When I used the built in WiFi with Rogers I remember having a lot of issues dropping the signal here and there. Not sure if that has improved but I recommend getting your own router/wifi and using bridge mode.
Thanks. I have a mesh system so probably don’t need a super strong signal as I won’t be using it for most devices but wanted to get the best one they have. My issue was losing internet connection a lot and having to unplug the modem to get it back.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135814 upvotes
888888 upvotes
I'm surprised I don't see any "please put location" post. oh right, it doesn't apply to ON deals. Winking Face
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
4473 posts
3843 upvotes
Ontario
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: but the white modem looks nicer.
Always go for the nicer looking one. Why would anyone care about performance.
Mar 11, 2020
550 posts
229 upvotes
I was chatting online and agent said if I go into store I can still get this promo. has anyone tried?
Aug 8, 2007
839 posts
732 upvotes
beachlover wrote: Always go for the nicer looking one. Why would anyone care about performance.
Totally agree which is why I wanted to know if this was true or not, but from a practical perspective I saw the agent’s point which I think was that a picky spouse would insist on the ugly one being in the basement whereas an attractive one could sit prominently in your living room such that any possible power advantage one would have would be neutralized by where it was put. I never had this consideration as a single guy but totally get it now that I am not!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41789 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: Totally agree which is why I wanted to know if this was true or not, but from a practical perspective I saw the agent’s point which I think was that a picky spouse would insist on the ugly one being in the basement whereas an attractive one could sit prominently in your living room such that any possible power advantage one would have would be neutralized by where it was put. I never had this consideration as a single guy but totally get it now that I am not!
A picky spouse that suggests a modem be installed in the basement, should also be prepared to go reset it when required.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1670 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
vkizzle wrote: I'm with Ebox on their $43 75/10 12mth promo plan and it's been the same when I was with robbers.
The speed is consistent all day and we're doubling our usage at a terabyte every month.
Just signed up to that plan today because Fido wouldn't extend our discounts. Are you finding ebox billing consistently? That's my main concern as everyone speaks to reliability well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41789 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
barqers wrote: Just signed up to that plan today because Fido wouldn't extend our discounts. Are you finding ebox billing consistently? That's my main concern as everyone speaks to reliability well.
A bit confusing at first, but it all works out, as it's a prorated service based on first day of the month to the last.
Aug 8, 2007
839 posts
732 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: A picky spouse that suggests a modem be installed in the basement, should also be prepared to go reset it when required.
Mine says that is a job for Help Desk. Guess who mans (emphasis intended) Help Desk? LOL I was told we needed a new car the other day because her seat belt was twisted!
Aug 4, 2020
61 posts
66 upvotes
slade wrote: You only get 300 for the first 30 seconds, then its down to 180 - speedboost, only long enought to artificailly inflate the speeds for the speedtest.
I've been able to consistently get >30MBps download on Steam and BitTorrent for over an hour.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
3736 posts
3499 upvotes
gmarkdotcom wrote: My 50% deal expired in Aug, and Fido did not extend it, but gave me $25 off (the $65 plan). So, not 50% again, but something closer to 40% off.
Hmm... Maybe that's what I was offered? They sent me an email saying they've applied a discount but the email had a coding error or something as mine reads "$CELL197344/month off the current $65/month"
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11269 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: A picky spouse that suggests a modem be installed in the basement, should also be prepared to go reset it when required.
Connect it to a smart plug for rebooting.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6905 posts
5592 upvotes
repatch wrote: Connect it to a smart plug for rebooting.
i usually just login to the router mgmt interface and choose reboot from there.
Banned
Aug 5, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
I've been circling around the fido internet home page for the past couple months hoping they'd have a promo. Kinda sad they don't have "back to school" promo Dizzy Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)