1453 posts
132 upvotes
docshah wrote: How about ebox? Or start.ca
Ebox.ca = Bad review
Start.ca = Good review, but price not so good
Jun 12, 2009
781 posts
258 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote: Really hope they offer their 50% off deal again for back to school. I've been able to get it the last 2 years. Fingers crossed for a third!
Hmm, I got this on BF, didn't know it was BackToSchool offer as well.... now hoping for BF 50% off so I can renew.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13040 posts
3524 upvotes
RFD
docshah wrote: How's ebox? I'm seriously considering as Fido is not budging on any discount
Was with ebox and start years ago and had zero issue with either of them. Start has the better telephone customer support out of the two of them, but maybe things over the years has changed. I did have an annoying but small thing with ebox as when you visit some websites, it thinks you are from Montreal or Quebec and will give you french language/results.

I move around ISPs on a yearly basis, whatever is cheapest/best deal at the time.
Feb 7, 2016
314 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
which modem are you guys using for 150U or recommend?
I have the black shaped rectangle modem.... is this the best modem to suit 150u?

Thanks for your help
Feb 7, 2016
314 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kevinkuo wrote: Moved recently and had to sign up for internet service. Unfortunately prices seems to be pretty terrible right now due to COVID.
More budget TPIAs like CarryTel and Cannet do have some promos going on, but I didn't want to risk the possibility of throttling.

Was able to get this promo with Fido over their online chat. The promo doesn't seem to available in store or over the phone:

I signed up for 150u at $75/mo, works out to be ~$67/mo for the first year after deducting the gift card. Seems to be similar price as other more highly rated (?) TPIAs like TekSavvy or Start, but minus the activation fees and modem rental.

The terms of the promotion provided by the agent (sorry I forgot to ask for the expiry date of the promo):

Not a great deal compared to their promos back in December/January, or if you are eligible for a retention deal from Rogers, but posting this in case anyone else is in a similar situation and want to get service from a Tier 1 provider.
which modem are you guys using for 150U or recommend?
I have the black shaped rectangle modem.... is this the best modem to suit 150u?

Thanks for your help
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
45 posts
70 upvotes
DCanadaS wrote: which modem are you guys using for 150U or recommend?
I've been assigned a Hitron CGN3U, which is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with built in 802.11n (up to 450Mbps).
My parents' place (signed up for Fido 150u back in January) has a Hitron CODA-4582, which is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with built in 802.11ac (up to 1733Mbps).

Honestly the range and speed of the built in Wi-Fi of either models are meh, so I put them in bridge mode and use my own router. Didn't notice any speed difference between the two modems in this setup (I'm able to get ~300M/16M, higher than what's advertised, which is really nice). I found that the CGN3U seems to be slightly more stable than the CODA-4582, though it might just be because the lines at my parents' neighbourhood is busier.

Note that Rogers/Fido doesn't allow you to bring your own modem, and modem rental is included in monthly fee. You don't really get to pick which modem you get - they send you whatever's available and suitable for your area.
Sep 7, 2008
4 posts
Richmond Hill
kevinkuo wrote: I've been assigned a Hitron CGN3U, which is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with built in 802.11n (up to 450Mbps).
My parents' place (signed up for Fido 150u back in January) has a Hitron CODA-4582, which is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with built in 802.11ac (up to 1733Mbps).

Honestly the range and speed of the built in Wi-Fi of either models are meh, so I put them in bridge mode and use my own router. Didn't notice any speed difference between the two modems in this setup (I'm able to get ~300M/16M, higher than what's advertised, which is really nice). I found that the CGN3U seems to be slightly more stable than the CODA-4582, though it might just be because the lines at my parents' neighbourhood is busier.

Note that Rogers/Fido doesn't allow you to bring your own modem, and modem rental is included in monthly fee. You don't really get to pick which modem you get - they send you whatever's available and suitable for your area.
May I know what brand and model of router do you use?

I got Hitron CODA-4582 (white one) back in Nov 2019 when I got the 50% off deal on 150u with Fido. Since the discount will be expired in 2 months so I signed up with the latest deal for the same speed last week. They sent me Hitron CGN3U (black one). I used speedtest.net to test the speed on both modems. Found that the wifi speed from the black one is way slower. The best speed that I got from the white one is 300 (that's double what I paid for) whereas the black one only 100 (just 2/3 of what I paid for). Which is when I sit right beside the modem. The worst speed that I got from the white one is 200 when the black one only give 5.79 from the same spot (it's ridiculous).

I think it matter with the channel bandwidth. Found that the white one can be set up to 80MHz whereas the black one can only be set to 40MHz.

Called Fido this morning and was told that they didn't give out the white one anymore since 3 months ago. Also was told that the white ones are reserved for Roger's customers only.

Maybe getting a router like yours will resolve my problem. So, please let me know the brand and model. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5542 posts
5188 upvotes
ningbaby wrote: May I know what brand and model of router do you use?

I got Hitron CODA-4582 (white one) back in Nov 2019 when I got the 50% off deal on 150u with Fido. Since the discount will be expired in 2 months so I signed up with the latest deal for the same speed last week. They sent me Hitron CGN3U (black one). I used speedtest.net to test the speed on both modems. Found that the wifi speed from the black one is way slower. The best speed that I got from the white one is 300 (that's double what I paid for) whereas the black one only 100 (just 2/3 of what I paid for). Which is when I sit right beside the modem. The worst speed that I got from the white one is 200 when the black one only give 5.79 from the same spot (it's ridiculous).

I think it matter with the channel bandwidth. Found that the white one can be set up to 80MHz whereas the black one can only be set to 40MHz.

Called Fido this morning and was told that they didn't give out the white one anymore since 3 months ago. Also was told that the white ones are reserved for Roger's customers only.

Maybe getting a router like yours will resolve my problem. So, please let me know the brand and model. Thanks!
I strongly recommend you just get your own WIFI router and connect that to your modem. The in built WIFI in ISP supplied devices is very hit and miss.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
45 posts
70 upvotes
ningbaby wrote: May I know what brand and model of router do you use?
I've noticed that the built-in Wi-Fi on the CGN3U has worse range than the CODA yes, and the speed tops off at ~150Mbps when connected via Wi-Fi, even though I can get ~300Mbps when connected by LAN or when using my own router.
I'm using a Asus RT-AC86U at my place and a TP-Link Archer C9 at my parents place, both have great speeds but the Asus has better range and more customizability.
If you are looking at something more inexpensive, my friends were also able to hit ~300Mbps on Fido with the Asus RT-AC66U and the TP-Link Archer C7.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
45 posts
70 upvotes
Update for anyone who signed up back in August before the current promos - after reading this thread and seeing the promotion ($45 for 12mo + $150 GC) advertised at a Fido Store at the mall, I called Fido customer support asking if an adjustment is possible.

Told the agent I only signed up a month ago. After a long time on hold, the agent was able to offer a $25 credit for 12 months, although couldn't do anything about the gift card. Definitely a lot better than full price though!
(I also tried over chat, but the agent on chat wasn't able to offer anything)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6723 posts
3133 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Isn't it well known that Fido is offering
150u for $45 with $150gc?
Isnt this expensive?
kevinkuo wrote: I've noticed that the built-in Wi-Fi on the CGN3U has worse range than the CODA yes, and the speed tops off at ~150Mbps when connected via Wi-Fi, even though I can get ~300Mbps when connected by LAN or when using my own router.
I'm using a Asus RT-AC86U at my place and a TP-Link Archer C9 at my parents place, both have great speeds but the Asus has better range and more customizability.
If you are looking at something more inexpensive, my friends were also able to hit ~300Mbps on Fido with the Asus RT-AC66U and the TP-Link Archer C7.
Coda is definitely better than CGN3U, which is puma6 and still has the latency problem.
Yes ac68u is good. I got the t mobile version and mod it into tomato.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Oct 8, 2008
85 posts
22 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone actually gotten their amazon GC yet?
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
45 posts
70 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Isn't it well known that Fido is offering
150u for $45 with $150gc?
Isnt this expensive?
This is an old thread from before the current promos are available - if you are signing up right now, you should definitely be asking for $45 + $150GC!
esaul17 wrote: Anyone actually gotten their amazon GC yet?
Signed up on Aug 5th, haven't received any info on claiming the GC yet :/
Jan 12, 2011
49 posts
14 upvotes
i visited two Fido stores in Toronto. One said it was for students only and the other was advertising it. However neither could set it up. I called in today and the rep offered me the $45 right away without me even asking. Rep also said Fido Stores cannot set up Home Internet or bc of covid. Something to do with picking up the modem. Anyways the modem will ship to my house in 2-3 business days.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
45 posts
70 upvotes
esaul17 wrote: Anyone actually gotten their amazon GC yet?
Finally received the email to register for GC today! Though Gmail sent it to Spam and blocked all the links...