Expired Hot Deals

Fido

Fido Internet 150Mps service for 42.50 (first 12 months)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2022 6:08 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
Alexo wrote: *
*. If you do not use the Fido modem in bridge mode with a good router, you cannot get the 300mbps speed boost. It will be capped at 150mbps. *
I am a Zoomer customer.
Aug 26, 2004
817 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
SickBeast wrote: * If you do not use the Fido modem in bridge mode with a good router, you cannot get the 300mbps speed boost. It will be capped at 150mbps. *
Post #246:
Alexo wrote: I already use it in bridge mode with my own router, but it would not go over the nominal 150Mbs speed while the white ones can hit 300Mbs. Thus my question.
Post #290:
Alexo wrote: It has nothing to do with the router or with wifi. The modem tops out at 150Mbps, even with a direct connection.
I already wrote that I *do* use it in bridge mode, and that the maximum bandwidth does not change whether I plug my Ethernet cable into my router or directly into the modem. *
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37030 posts
22995 upvotes
Center of Universe
Alexo wrote: Post #246:

Post #290:

I already wrote that I *do* use it in bridge mode, and that the maximum bandwidth does not change whether I plug my Ethernet cable into my router or directly into the modem. *
Plan is advertised at 150!
May 18, 2009
457 posts
392 upvotes
Richmond
Alexo wrote: I already use it in bridge mode with my own router, but it would not go over the nominal 150Mbs speed while the white ones can hit 300Mbs. Thus my question.
I've used Fido with all 3 modem types (black surfboard, silver surfboard, and white tower), and all were able to push 290-300Mbs no problem. Your modem is defective or you have a poor connection to your home (from wherever the lines are outside).
Aug 26, 2004
817 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
zevnux wrote: I've used Fido with all 3 modem types (black surfboard, silver surfboard, and white tower), and all were able to push 290-300Mbs no problem. Your modem is defective or you have a poor connection to your home (from wherever the lines are outside).
Connection used to be poor until Rogers replaced the line (twice). I suspect either the modem or the provisioning.
The question is, how do I get them to replace it? I have a suspicion that telling Fido "I am not getting twice the advertised speed like the others on RFD" will not quite cut it.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16630 posts
3059 upvotes
GTA
SickBeast wrote:
You need to use the modem in bridge mode with a good router to get the higher speed.
SickBeast wrote: No. It is you that does not understand. If you do not use the Fido modem in bridge mode with a good router, you cannot get the 300mbps speed boost. It will be capped at 150mbps. I do not appreciate the rudeness.
You're saying the modem is capped at 150Mps yet if put it in bridge mode it can reach 300Mbps?
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 7th, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Nov 11, 2019
22 posts
19 upvotes
My original agreement indicated $8/month for modem rental, but Fido changed it to $4/month when I contacted them via chat.
Mar 1, 2017
444 posts
159 upvotes
On chat with them now. Best offer seems to be 75mb for $45 and 150mb for $50. So deal dead?

Edit: why are folks unhappy with carrytel? aren't they all selling the same signal?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37030 posts
22995 upvotes
Center of Universe
mikefly wrote: On chat with them now. Best offer seems to be 75mb for $45 and 150mb for $50. So deal dead?

Edit: why are folks unhappy with carrytel? aren't they all selling the same signal?
I used to be with Carrytel, but their pricing isn't competitive.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1673 posts
1421 upvotes
mikefly wrote: On chat with them now. Best offer seems to be 75mb for $45 and 150mb for $50. So deal dead?

Carrytel was great earlier in it's inception when they were getting customers. Provided incentive to join. After the promo is over, they will increase monthly charge. When service goes down, it sometimes goes down for hours. If you are on the 75mb/s down, it never gets to that number. Always a lower number. Wireless is even worse as I barely ever gotten close to 55-70mb/s. And their billing is always 1.5+ months ahead. You just need to do search Carrytel down detector and read all the comments of users having issues.

Would you rather pay $44.95 for 75mb/s (Carrytel, which can be 55-70mb/s wireless) or $42.50 for 150mb/s (Fido, which can be up to 290mb/s wireless)?
Mar 1, 2017
444 posts
159 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: Carrytel was great earlier in it's inception when they were getting customers. Provided incentive to join. After the promo is over, they will increase monthly charge. When service goes down, it sometimes goes down for hours. If you are on the 75mb/s down, it never gets to that number. Always a lower number. Wireless is even worse as I barely ever gotten close to 55-70mb/s. And their billing is always 1.5+ months ahead. You just need to do search Carrytel down detector and read all the comments of users having issues.

Would you rather pay $44.95 for 75mb/s (Carrytel, which can be 55-70mb/s wireless) or $42.50 for 150mb/s (Fido, which can be up to 290mb/s wireless)?
I'm signing up for $45 fido 75mbs. Promo in this thread is gone.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1673 posts
1421 upvotes
mikefly wrote: I'm signing up for $45 fido 75mbs. Promo in this thread is gone.
I waited until just before xmas to sign up for fido 50% promo. Given that you must renew each year for promo pricing, doing this renewal in the boxing week time frame will give you a better chance as opposed to outside this time frame. Given that we only have 2 companies in Canada that own majority of the internet infrastructure, this is the only way to go if you want to haggle every year at renewal.
Mar 1, 2017
444 posts
159 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: I waited until just before xmas to sign up for fido 50% promo. Given that you must renew each year for promo pricing, doing this renewal in the boxing week time frame will give you a better chance as opposed to outside this time frame. Given that we only have 2 companies in Canada that own majority of the internet infrastructure, this is the only way to go if you want to haggle every year at renewal.
I have until next Jan to either renegotiate or find stable pricing. A friend in the neighbourhood is on Cannet. It's $40 for 75mb (promo at $30 for a few months) but has a $60 sign up charge.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1673 posts
1421 upvotes
mikefly wrote: I have until next Jan to either renegotiate or find stable pricing. A friend in the neighbourhood is on Cannet. It's $40 for 75mb (promo at $30 for a few months) but has a $60 sign up charge.
I was tired of the service issues and wanted something more stable. Fido so far has been great since it's under Rogers. We'll see what happens again come Dec 2022 for renewal.
Mar 1, 2017
444 posts
159 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: I was tired of the service issues and wanted something more stable. Fido so far has been great since it's under Rogers. We'll see what happens again come Dec 2022 for renewal.
No risk or up front cost. Will be cheaper than I’m paying with teksavvy. Just annoyed I’ll have to negotiate rate every year.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3373 posts
3852 upvotes
If this one is expired what's Fido's current promo? My 50% is expired. trying to reduce the new $80+/month bill. Like is $40/month for 150mbps too much to ask for as a regular price in Canada?
For Sale:
Aug 26, 2004
817 posts
40 upvotes
GTA

1) Carrytel kept raising my price while lowering the quality of service.
2) I had several service interruptions where they were unreachable.
3) They had no redundancy. There were several incidents when a Rogers cable was cut and Rogers customers were quickly switched to a different one while Carrytel customers waited several days for the fix.
4) Their techs are clueless. I had delay issues with sending email because my email provider does a reverse DNS check on the sender's IP, and their system did not reply to the query, causing a timeout. Even after I told them exactly what needs to be done on their end (return a response, any response, an error will do) they kept insisting that it was something on my end.
Aug 5, 2004
426 posts
8 upvotes
Just a heads-up that both Fido and Rogers have 300Mbps temp boost for like 30-60 seconds which then drops to proper speed plan, best test is to download a large file, like Linux ISO or the like.

Fido 150mbps plan will max out at around 18.75MB/s (150/8) after the boost.
Aug 26, 2004
817 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Wired
Wifi
Here's what I am getting (from Richmond Hill, ON):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/12572586239
https://www.speedtest.net/result/12572595835

Modem is in bridge mode, connection is wired.

Got a hair over 150Mbps yesterday, but normally it is 130-140 during the day.
No boost either, according to the graph.

Just for fun, I checked the bandwidth between my computer and another one (also wired to the router).
iperf3 reported average bandwidth of ~930 Mbits/sec, so the bottleneck is not the local network.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the higher speed?
Last edited by Alexo on Jan 7th, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.