• Mar 14th, 2021 4:14 pm
54 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12230 posts
4665 upvotes
Toronto
How long is the last?
Like is the $50 just for the first 6 months and increase after?

I don't want to get rid of grand father plan which is also $50 but only 5GB, but this plan guarantee never increase on its monthly charge.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1407 posts
3274 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MP3_SKY wrote: How long is the last?

I don't want to get rid of grand father plan which is also $50 but only 5GB, but this plan guarantee never increase on its monthly charge.
Current telecom rules allow providers to raise their price whenever they want - unless you’re on a contract.

If you $50/5GB plan is not on a contract then they can change your rates whenever they feel like it, although I doubt that they will since you’re on a low data price plan anyway (you are currently overpaying for 5GB of data). Still there are no guarantees, ever.
Last edited by vancityguy0 on Mar 12th, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16570 posts
2990 upvotes
GTA
10GB only for me
[OP]
Jan 25, 2009
990 posts
847 upvotes
actng wrote: 10GB only for me
Choose the $50 plan and add to cart, will show 2GB added up.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12982 posts
16614 upvotes
Vancouver
How about attracting people with LOWER prices?
A few years ago it was 2GB for $50
Now it is 12GB for $50, Five times the data for the same price.

How about offering...in addition...the inverse: the same amount of data for a fifth of the price: $10

LOL right

Okay okay...let's be realistic. How about doubling that to $20. $20 for 2GB? Sounds fair.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
This is Canada

Dream on....We don't get low prices.
Last edited by Kiraly on Mar 12th, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 23, 2018
506 posts
666 upvotes
Underground Bunker
1. Contract is a bad thing so avoid it if you can unless you want to buy a phone, cuz you will not be capable to negotiate your price since there will always be a better deal way before your 2 years contract expires.
2. Will take the 9gb/35$ during black Friday with free Samsung medium range phone on contract over this.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14255 posts
4295 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I was thinking of getting Koodo to match. Currently I have $50/9GB. But I don't think they would since I have a sizeable Tab Bonus on this line, and they know I likely won't bolt to Fido.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1090 posts
1345 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: How long is the last?

Had the $60 10GB plan then they increased it to $65. Apparently, lots of people raised a stink about it and they ended up discounting $60 and increased data to 15GB. But this took a bit of planning (on what to say), a few calls and a few escalations with me standing firm and reminding them I've been a loyal BYOP customer for a long time.

There's no certainty the price will remain the same, but I think $50 for 5GB can be better though. If data isn't enough, then OP's deal is good. If you want to lower cost because you're wfh then you can ask them to lower monthly costs for, I think, 3 months with less data. Fido had a $45 for 4GB in November/December?
Last edited by QuicKi7 on Mar 12th, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 1, 2009
337 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
I just had a hilarious saga involving this plan, coming in from a 15$ public mobile plan to the 10 GB/$50 plan and then seeing same day the 12 gb version was being offered. Long story short they set me up as a new customer even though they had just ported my number in on the 10 GB plan, but it took a loooot of time and chat sessions to make it happen. Still waiting for them to drop the activation fee.

Fast forward 2 weeks and Koodo/Telus is calling the number 3 times a day to offer me a winback, so I tell them I have 16 GB for 50$ (I'm including my 4 GB tablet plan here but they don't need to know that). They (Koodo) counter with 18 GB for $50. I turned it down because of their province wide instead of Canada wide calling...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12230 posts
4665 upvotes
Toronto
vancityguy0 wrote: Current telecom rules allow providers to raise their price whenever they want - unless you’re on a contract.
b
If you $50/5GB plan is not on a contract then they can change your rates whenever they feel like it, although I doubt that they will since you’re on a low data price plan anyway (you are currently overpaying for 5GB of data). Still there are no guarantees, ever.
My plan comes from my old Employer, probably using it since 2013/2014 for the same cost. No contract, even there was one. It must be over for few years.

I doubt they will increase it.

If I drop this, I may never ever able to get a plan back for $50 for this same GB. You can say I'm over paying right now because I can get 12G instead of 5, but I 'm always under 5Gb anyway.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1629 posts
1693 upvotes
100 wrote: I just had a hilarious saga involving this plan, coming in from a 15$ public mobile plan to the 10 GB/$50 plan and then seeing same day the 12 gb version was being offered. Long story short they set me up as a new customer even though they had just ported my number in on the 10 GB plan, but it took a loooot of time and chat sessions to make it happen. Still waiting for them to drop the activation fee.

Fast forward 2 weeks and Koodo/Telus is calling the number 3 times a day to offer me a winback, so I tell them I have 16 GB for 50$ (I'm including my 4 GB tablet plan here but they don't need to know that). They (Koodo) counter with 18 GB for $50. I turned it down because of their province wide instead of Canada wide calling...
They reversed the province wide calling thing because I guess they got enough backlash...
[OP]
Jan 25, 2009
990 posts
847 upvotes
100 wrote: I just had a hilarious saga involving this plan, coming in from a 15$ public mobile plan to the 10 GB/$50 plan and then seeing same day the 12 gb version was being offered. Long story short they set me up as a new customer even though they had just ported my number in on the 10 GB plan, but it took a loooot of time and chat sessions to make it happen. Still waiting for them to drop the activation fee.

I am currently on 6Gb for $45, thinking of switching to this offer, and I think the better option would be to port out number and resign this plan as a new customer to avoid all the hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7663 posts
5160 upvotes
Canada
It's 2GB bonus on all plans......

$45 8GB
$50 12GB

etc
Apr 25, 2019
517 posts
877 upvotes
This bonus data ALSO applies to the $45 6 GB plan, which means it's 8 GB for $45! HOT deal!
Public Mobile 5GB $29 with autopay, referrals and community rewards!
Apr 1, 2009
337 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
MP3_SKY wrote: If I drop this, I may never ever able to get a plan back for $50 for this same GB.
I think even standard plans are pretty comparable these days. I'm thinking about ditching the 12 gb line back to public for $15 a month and just using the 4 GB tablet plan for data...
Feb 29, 2012
493 posts
184 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: My plan comes from my old Employer, probably using it since 2013/2014 for the same cost. No contract, even there was one. It must be over for few years.

If I drop this, I may never ever able to get a plan back for $50 for this same GB. You can say I'm over paying right now because I can get 12G instead of 5, but I 'm always under 5Gb anyway.
TELUS EPP currently has $56/15GB
[OP]
Jan 25, 2009
990 posts
847 upvotes
reachedlegendary1 wrote: TELUS EPP currently has $56/15GB
I was looking at that but the $45 activation fee is almost impossible to waive
Jan 20, 2010
450 posts
168 upvotes
toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: My plan comes from my old Employer, probably using it since 2013/2014 for the same cost. No contract, even there was one. It must be over for few years.

Why don't you just switch to zoomer? Same network as FIDO, but only 40.5/m for 6g, and you get $200 bill credit and a free phone. And that price is guaranteed until you want to make a change.