Cell Phones

FIDO final bill refund - how do they pro-rate?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 2:13 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto

FIDO final bill refund - how do they pro-rate?

Hi guys:

Just wondering if you have encountered "odd" pro-rating charges for your final bill refund/credit? I was on a $35 plan that was too expensive with FIDO so switched to lucky - it was a basic talk and text plan (unlimited calls/text). I had no data etc. Didn't use any long distance etc. The final bill did not show any usage charges, only that a prorated credit will be applied. What is odd is the way that it was computed. It said I had 23 days of credit, so technically, one applies this formula for a refund right?

23 days / 30 days x $35 x 1.13 (HST) = amount of refund. even at 23/31 days x $35 x 1.13 (HST), the amount does not match either... am I missing something? at this point, I've given up on this company, so I'll just take the small hit -- all I can say is good riddance and I'm glad I switched to lucky earlier than later...

Many thanks if you guys have any ideas...
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9743 posts
4930 upvotes
Markham
Hi EIlrach

How did they refund you? By cheque or simply refund to credit card

Thanks
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Hi EIlrach

How did they refund you? By cheque or simply refund to credit card

Thanks
I am still waiting for my refund check as my final bill was just issued. Here's more color to your question:

They were confusing in that (via online chat) FIDO first told me to call their number to get my refund processed (e.g. need to talk to them to get my credit back, which I didn't believe since i already did my research - see below).

When I saw that reply, I asked them again through online chat: "Isn't this automatically refunded after 2-3 weeks after my final bill is sent based on what I've seen on your website AND where some of your own FIDO forums reply have indicated?". Sensing that I knew what I was talking about, the FIDO rep then said (again via online chat) that I have to call to have it credited back to my credit card since he thought I wanted it ASAP". To which I replied, "No, I don't even need it refunded it to my credit card, doesn't your website state that negative final bill balances are automatically refunded within 2-3 weeks of your final bill via cheque and i don't need to call, I am asking here via chat why my refund is not the amount as to what it is supposed to be?" -- then they said they will investigate and could not solve my problem (some boilerplate schpiel to log off the chat from FIDO)... what nonsense these guys...

As i said, i didn't wanna waste too much of my time dealing with such a small difference with them so just making you guys aware of this and trying to see if others have an idea of what's going on...
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13103 posts
2357 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Thanks, for quoting the Fido website, as I didn't know it stated 2-3 weeks. It's been about six months for me :D . Some dude on Facebook commented that he waited six months, so I've just been waiting it out. I'll contact them soon ... if I remember.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9743 posts
4930 upvotes
Markham
So if you switch to other provider, do you need call them to request refund or their system automatically generated refund?

Finally switched back to TELUS, experience with Fido is the past two years was bad
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13103 posts
2357 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
smartie wrote: So if you switch to other provider, do you need call them to request refund or their system automatically generated refund?
It's been six month, and I haven't gotten jack. I think it depends on how lucky you are, or maybe have much $$$ is involved. Mine is less than $10 :D .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9743 posts
4930 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote: It's been six month, and I haven't gotten jack. I think it depends on how lucky you are, or maybe have much $$$ is involved. Mine is less than $10 :D .
Thanks

But do you need request or they will send to you refund
Verified Rep
Nov 25, 2014
32 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eilrach wrote: Hi guys:

Just wondering if you have encountered "odd" pro-rating charges for your final bill refund/credit? I was on a $35 plan that was too expensive with FIDO so switched to lucky - it was a basic talk and text plan (unlimited calls/text). I had no data etc. Didn't use any long distance etc. The final bill did not show any usage charges, only that a prorated credit will be applied. What is odd is the way that it was computed. It said I had 23 days of credit, so technically, one applies this formula for a refund right?

23 days / 30 days x $35 x 1.13 (HST) = amount of refund. even at 23/31 days x $35 x 1.13 (HST), the amount does not match either... am I missing something? at this point, I've given up on this company, so I'll just take the small hit -- all I can say is good riddance and I'm glad I switched to lucky earlier than later...

Many thanks if you guys have any ideas...

Hey,

Claudia here from Fido's Social Media team. We'd be happy to go over the invoice with you and clarify things! Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter to get started!

-Claudia
Verified Rep
Nov 25, 2014
32 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smartie wrote: Thanks

But do you need request or they will send to you refund
Hey,
Claudia from Fido here. A negative balance on a final invoice is refunded automatically by cheque through mail, 2-3 weeks after the final bill is generated. If you still haven't received yours, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll look into it.

-Claudia
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9743 posts
4930 upvotes
Markham
FidoSolutions wrote: Hey,
Claudia from Fido here. A negative balance on a final invoice is refunded automatically by cheque through mail, 2-3 weeks after the final bill is generated. If you still haven't received yours, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll look into it.

-Claudia
Thanks Claudia!
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Too late guys... Either you state if my formula is right or not and if not, then how do you prorate?

I'm not going to waste any more of my time calling you guys up, and would rather take the hit if you don't want to answer my question as to how you prorate refunds (this is not even a customer specific question, this is a general formula that you should disclose to ALL customers)... having you guys ask me to call you will just leave you opportunities to convince me to go back to you, etc etc etc... You guys have emailed, called, etc etc and frankly, quite annoying for you to do so since you don't listen to your customers requests and it's now too late after I left... my other thread posts even had my questions to RFD like Will888 etc who seem befuddled by your actions as a company...

I gave you all the opportunities to match, even people on the T-Booth kiosk saw the transaction records as to me calling you guys asking what you can do with my plan etc... all i can say again? Good riddance FIDO :) you gotta improve your customer service or you'll lose more formerly loyal customers like me in the future (RFDers take note!)