Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

Free iPhone 6S for Fido BYOD customers (EXPIRED)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 7:55 am
Sep 30, 2014
240 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal

[Fido] Free iPhone 6S for Fido BYOD customers (EXPIRED)

I was browsing Fido website and found this offer : https://www.fido.ca/phones/iphone-6s-cl ... owType=nac

Fido offers a $0.00 down + $0.00/month iPhone 6S when combined to a BYOD plan.
In my case, I'm already on a BYOD plan with my own phone. I applied online and was able to keep my current $34 Black Friday 2015 legacy plan.
Which means that if I'm not wrong, they're sending me a free iPhone 6S. I called Fido and confirmed that I will be paying the same price as before.

Now, I know this is a 5 years old phone...but if it's free, why not?
Important: because this is a considered a 24 months "financing", you need to stay 24 months with Fido to avoid paying back the credit. If you're planning to switch carrier, don't sign for this.

Many people raised that you might pay taxes. (about $3,90 a month). Call Fido and make sure they don't actually charge you the taxes. This is the breakdown they gave me on the phone for my specific plan :
My plan : $34,46
Credit : $26,04

Total : $8,42
Total with taxes : $9,683

Phone : $26,04
Phone with taxes : $29,94

Grand Total : $39,62 which is same as before
Last edited by machino4 on Jun 16th, 2020 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
66 replies
Apr 18, 2017
807 posts
1669 upvotes
The hidden cost is that 'buyout' if you cancel early.
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15200 posts
35260 upvotes
Nation's capital
Also seem.to get a $60 credit

Today only! Get this offer just for you!

Today only! Get this offer just for you!

GET $60 OFF
YOUR NEW DEVICE!
Get $60 off your new device if you complete your transaction now.

We’ve automatically added this offer to your order. Let us know if you would like to proceed.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1069 posts
2119 upvotes
I'm almost hesitant to order, like whats the catch this seems way too good to be true. not planning on leaving Fido but a bit confused how i am getting a free phone. the saying usually goes nothing in life is free lol
Oct 1, 2018
206 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
RedSwagDeals wrote: I'm almost hesitant to order, like whats the catch this seems way too good to be true. not planning on leaving Fido but a bit confused how i am getting a free phone. the saying usually goes nothing in life is free lol
Ive been reading OP's post and the link for the last few mins. I'm thinking the exact same thing... my sisters on a Fido BYOD....but it'd be a great spare phone to have around...
Sep 30, 2014
240 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
Last year, Fido sent me a free Samsung tablet with 4Gb free for 2 years... It's not the first time they sent me free stuff!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1069 posts
2119 upvotes
Ok so there is a cost, went to order my bill is currently $70 per month, new monthly fees are 73.38 per month. So looks like it will cost about $3 or so per month. still smoking hot, just not sure i want to go through in case there is more stuff i am missing....
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
RedSwagDeals wrote: I'm almost hesitant to order, like whats the catch this seems way too good to be true. not planning on leaving Fido but a bit confused how i am getting a free phone. the saying usually goes nothing in life is free lol
Keeping you as a customer for 24 months much be worth an iPhone 6S to them. I'm tempted, but I also don't love my BYOD plan at the moment.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Didn't work for 3GB data only plan.
Not that I expected it to.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
3763 posts
1545 upvotes
Montreal
OP how you kept the legacy plan? I log in... all I see are the new plans and my old plans is not there.
Dec 12, 2019
139 posts
40 upvotes
BC
machino4 wrote: I was browsing Fido website and found this offer : https://www.fido.ca/phones/iphone-6s-cl ... owType=nac

Fido offers a $0.00 down + $0.00/month iPhone 6S when combined to a BYOD plan.
In my case, I'm already on a BYOD plan with my own phone. I applied online and was able to keep my current $34 Black Friday 2015 legacy plan.
Which means that if I'm not wrong, they're sending me a free iPhone 6S. I called Fido and confirmed that I will be paying the same price as before.

Now, I know this is a 5 years old phone...but if it's free, why not?
Important : because this is a considered a 24 months "financing", you need to stay 24 months with Fido to avoid paying back the credit. If you're planning to switch carrier, don't sign for this.
how were you able to keep your old plan since it doesnt let me get past the next screen unless i select a talk text and data plan
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213940 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

It isn't totally free. It only works for certain plans to be zero. However, I got a loyalty BYOP plan and it's 44$ a month. But if I order this iPhone, it will be 49$ish for 2 years. So it's not really free. This financial plan they have is really a rip off. Even their website says it's free until you reach their checkout then the price jump...

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
machino4 wrote: In my case, I'm already on a BYOD plan with my own phone. I applied online and was able to keep my current $34 Black Friday 2015 legacy plan.
My worry is that after 24 months Fido would switch customers to whatever the current BYOD plan is. Like you, I'm also on a legacy plan with no contract end date which I don't want to lose.
tarushin wrote: OP how you kept the legacy plan? I log in... all I see are the new plans and my old plans is not there.
They're targeted offers. My legacy plan is $45/mo and Fido's targeted offers to me are never lower than $50/mo. They still want you to spend more.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1069 posts
2119 upvotes
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

It isn't totally free. It only works for certain plans to be zero. However, I got a loyalty BYOP plan and it's 44$ a month. But if I order this iPhone, it will be 49$ish for 2 years. So it's not really free. This financial plan they have is really a rip off. Even their website says it's free until you reach their checkout then the price jump...

Ju Leon...
Thats what im finding, says "$0 for 24 months" then when i get to the checkout page, says its $29.42 and the credit will cover $26.04. If this was all i had to worry about i would probably buy but i am concerned its just one of many hidden "Fees" or something. i agree then bam im screwed for 2 years. Kind of hesitant can someone other than OP speak about this if they went through with it? thanks
Oct 7, 2018
384 posts
667 upvotes
Montreal
It's basically 26.04$ credit per month, but the 26.04$ doesn't include tax, so you're paying the tax before the credit applies.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
6609 posts
3909 upvotes
yeah, Fido has got me on the hook with these offers.

I did 2 of these a few months ago on different phones, and the final pricing was different than advertised. they do this weird thing with the discount calculation.

I argued it but it was still a good deal so I left it alone since it was happening during the initial pandemic lockdowns and all... just really annoying they can't be more upfront of the real cost.

for example, a phone I thought would be like $5 a month extra ends up being like $9, and $11 turned out to be like $17.

something silly about how taxes get calculated first, etc.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213940 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Yeah, but how do you tax on something that suppose to be "zero"?

Ju Leon...
Sep 30, 2014
240 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
tarushin wrote: OP how you kept the legacy plan? I log in... all I see are the new plans and my old plans is not there.
MohammadI54735 wrote: how were you able to keep your old plan since it doesnt let me get past the next screen unless i select a talk text and data plan
In the plan column on the right, I had a tab with "current plan". I'm not able to take a screenshot because I already did it but it was right there :
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
3763 posts
1545 upvotes
Montreal
so from what I understand you still need to pay taxes on top of this even though its free... lol
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1069 posts
2119 upvotes
OK so technically not free lol, mabye update title? Still a good deal i guess but yes good question how do you tax something that is suppose to be free/ $0? Think i might pass just because it seems shady tbh.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)