Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] Freedom to Fido promo is back ($39/11gb)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2021 6:50 pm
Aug 1, 2012
931 posts
197 upvotes
Cambridge
jshutchinson3038 wrote: Semi related Q: for those who have voicemails, those are all deleted when changing carriers, right?
Correct. Voicemails stored on carrier's network, you cannot take them with you.
Sep 16, 2011
305 posts
247 upvotes
Lethbridge
Fido live chat just told me that financing a phone was required to make the switch and activate this plan ($39/9GB). That can't be true?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
seriosbrad wrote: Fido live chat just told me that financing a phone was required to make the switch and activate this plan ($39/9GB). That can't be true?
No way. I just did this and I'm still using my OnePlus phone.
I did the switch by calling into Fido: 1-866-271-3436
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Aug 6, 2009
418 posts
205 upvotes
seriosbrad wrote: Fido live chat just told me that financing a phone was required to make the switch and activate this plan ($39/9GB). That can't be true?
Just got off live chat and agent didn't mention this. However I asked about additional Freedom line to port, he didn't offer $34/11GB plan. Also said that the free tablet is for returning customers.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
3203 posts
777 upvotes
Calgary
It applies only if you want to $100 bill credit.

I got the iPhone XS for $20/month. That’s $360 after $100 bill credit.

Have not opened it yet. Still on the fence whether I want to be tied down with a tab ($1300+ LOL) as a mobile network price war appears to be brewing.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
realnith wrote: freedom 14gb 30$ and fido 9gb 39$.
That Freedom 14GB plan only has "Freedom Data" and zero "Nationwide" data. It's a good option if you almost entirely spend your time in areas with good signal from FM towers.

If you want even 500 MB of "Nationwide" data, you have to be in for at least $50/mo on Freedom.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Sep 16, 2011
305 posts
247 upvotes
Lethbridge
Well, I made the switch but what a nightmare, I won't know for sure if it's set up correctly until a few days as it's being escalated.

It took almost 2 hours at the booth because of technical problems on Fido's side, which apparently has been ongoing since Oct 3rd. They basically could not activate the promo code and had to get in touch with both a Fido and Rogers rep to manually create my plan. So right now I have a 2GB+2GB Bonus plan for $50/m with the promise that the $11 discount and a 5GB add-on bonus is on the way.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1198 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
Do I need to be on a post-paid Freedom plan to avail of this promo? What's the cheapest Freedom plan that I can go to before I move it to Fido? I'm coming from Rogers.
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Oct 2, 2008
442 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
Recently went from koodo to freedom. Never got signal up at the cottage from koodo but I'm receiving texts perfectly fine here. It all depends on the area from provider to provider
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9659 posts
62535 upvotes
Ontario
jigsatics wrote: Do I need to be on a post-paid Freedom plan to avail of this promo? What's the cheapest Freedom plan that I can go to before I move it to Fido? I'm coming from Rogers.
$9 or $14 plus taxes. prepaid plan.
$10 or free sim card
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18760 posts
4917 upvotes
Toronto
I'm in Toronto.

So basically I can switch from Fido to Freedom, and then back again, in time for the Hallowe'en deadline?

I was thinking post-paid on Freedom instead of pre-paid just in case, but then the cost would be higher because of the connection fee. However, isn't the port immediate if post-paid? I don't want to be stuck without my main phone number on pre-paid for days.
Jul 2, 2003
561 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
I did this yesterday. Switched from Fido to Freedom. Took about an hour to get my number ported over to Freedom. During that time I still had access to my Fido voice/data. Once I noticed I lost the Fido service, I switched my Fido SIM with the Freedom SIM and my service worked with any issues. Now I wait for win back call...
EugW wrote: I'm in Toronto.

So basically I can switch from Fido to Freedom, and then back again, in time for the Hallowe'en deadline?

I was thinking post-paid on Freedom instead of pre-paid just in case, but then the cost would be higher because of the connection fee. However, isn't the port immediate if post-paid? I don't want to be stuck without my main phone number on pre-paid for days.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18760 posts
4917 upvotes
Toronto
waz wrote: I did this yesterday. Switched from Fido to Freedom. Took about an hour to get my number ported over to Freedom. During that time I still had access to my Fido voice/data. Once I noticed I lost the Fido service, I switched my Fido SIM with the Freedom SIM and my service worked with any issues. Now I wait for win back call...
Thanks. Actually what I was thinking of doing is porting to Freedom, and then porting back the next day. Not a winback, although I suppose I could wait a couple of days for that.

Mind you, I qualify for the Telus and Rogers EPP options too, so maybe I should go that route. That would give me 5G support.
Jun 25, 2017
686 posts
299 upvotes
Guys , just wait for Black Friday . Better deals coming up.
Nov 11, 2018
77 posts
95 upvotes
I'm having issues with purchasing a freedom prepaid plan.

I apparently visited the dealer store (non-corporate) and they require that I purchase a top up as well. Has anyone experienced issues with this?
Oct 1, 2020
6 posts
I just called fido and tried to get this same offer as you. They said they could give me the 1st line for 39$ as advertised, but the ipad offer is targeted at existing customers, who are getting an offer for either the 8th gen ipad or the samsung tab A free for 24 months. How did you manage this?
Jul 27, 2003
246 posts
5 upvotes
Niagara Falls
How much better do you think black Friday sale will be? I want it lower $ not more data at higher than $50. I think they are going to push 5G more. But my phone is still one plus one and LG G6.