Hot Deals

[Fido] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted) (Read Thread Summary)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 8:18 am
[OP]
Oct 11, 2002
232 posts
37 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

[Fido] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted) (Read Thread Summary)

mod edit: to clear up any confusion with the existing Fido promo, this offer will get you the 2-year tablet plan for free (regularly $15 month) and is stacked with the everyday offer of free tablet (Huawei Mediapad T5 10) with a 2-year data-only plan. So you are getting both tablet and 2 years of service for $0. It's targetted and you should have gotten an SMS with the offer

Received this offer from Fido today
Huawei T5 tablet FREE
4 GB /mth for 24 mth FREE
YMMV - targeted offer
Images
  • 2020-09-15 17-20-57.png
Last edited by aasoror on Sep 16th, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated OP
Thread Summary
added by aasoror (9/16/2020):

Q: What is this deal about?
A: Normally Fido offers a free tablet (Huawei Mediapad T5 10) on their tablet data-only plans (4GB/$15 monthly) with a 2-year commitment. This deal gets you the data-only plan for $0 (free) for 2-years and because you are signing a 2-year agreement you get the tablet for $0.

Q: What is the eligibility requirement?
A: Being an existing Fido customer with any "postpaid" mobile plan and receiving the offer SMS.

Q: I should be eligible but got no SMS, what's the deal?
A: Seems not everyone targeted got the offer SMS, if you meet the eligibility (postpaid mobile plan) call Fido (1-844-423-3436) and ask them to check your eligibility.

Q: I am not quite eligible, is all hope lost?
A: If you are missing one (or more) eligibility requirement, try calling to see if upgrading to an eligible plan would get you the promo (i.e. from talk and text, to talk, text and data)

Q: Are BYOD customers eligible?
A: it's irrelevant, BYOD or not, you just need a postpaid mobile plan.

Q: What's the catch?
A: That you keep an eligible mobile plan with Fido throughout the course of the contract.

Q: I signed up at the store, got the tablet and left, my contract doesn't show any discounts, is that normal?
A: Unless they are having backend issue that usually means your discounts didn't go through, you can call/chat and check if everything is in order, but it's better to just go back to the store where you signed up and make sure they clear the issue.

Q: Is it free or is it $0?
A: free is not taxable, $0 promos are not free, so expect to be billed for the taxes on the tablet value ($360). With that said, on prior deals, people reported not getting taxed regardless.

Q: Anything more do I need to know?
A: It's not the first round of this offer, check fido-fido-xtra-get-0-tablet-free-2-year ... 1-2306636/ for more info.

Q: It seems there is no way for me to get on this deal, any other options?
A: Sure, check the main thread: fido-4gb-lte-data-plan-10-byod-no-contr ... t-2078212/

Q: Which part of the T&C legally binds tablet plans to the main mobile plan?
A: this

Q; How do you improve tablet performance
A: go to developer options and limit background process to "at most 1 process"
143 replies
Jun 15, 2020
160 posts
176 upvotes
Ontario
Looks like Fido's getting desperate again, trying to tie up BYOD customers into contracts to prevent them from leaving. I recently got 2GB added to my plan too. The fact that Fido's ready to throw a $100+ tablet with a 2 year data plan for free goes to show just how much profit they're making per customer.

FWIW, I've used the tablet and it's alright, nothing special, and not worth getting into contract with Fido unless you're happy with your plan and were going to stick with them. Make sure you're already an at-market plan (or close to it) - when I was first given this offer, I was paying 4GB/$50 BYOD. I rejected it since new customers were getting 5GB for the same price and they weren't letting me upgrade. 5 months later, I'm eventually at 13GB/$50 BYOD no contract... and using <2GB per month LOL
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10716 posts
2916 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Got the same offer. Called in, no strings other than the 2 year contract (at $0). I guess if you leave Fido you’ll be on the hook for the remainder.

What happens if you move your main lines but leave this line with Fido?
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
May 1, 2019
211 posts
358 upvotes
Smithers, BC
MrBear2019 wrote: Looks like Fido's getting desperate again, trying to tie up BYOD customers into contracts to prevent them from leaving. I recently got 2GB added to my plan too. The fact that Fido's ready to throw a $100+ tablet with a 2 year data plan for free goes to show just how much profit they're making per customer.

FWIW, I've used the tablet and it's alright, nothing special, and not worth getting into contract with Fido unless you're happy with your plan and were going to stick with them. Make sure you're already an at-market plan (or close to it) - when I was first given this offer, I was paying 4GB/$50 BYOD. I rejected it since new customers were getting 5GB for the same price and they weren't letting me upgrade. 5 months later, I'm eventually at 13GB/$50 BYOD no contract... and using <2GB per month LOL
So, likely that you have to keep a mobile line with Fido for the two years of financing the tablet? Or could you cancel your mobile lines once those two year terms are up?
Mar 18, 2007
331 posts
116 upvotes
1 down vote for not a good price. How is free not a good price?
Jul 9, 2018
54 posts
17 upvotes
Also wondering what happens if you move your main lines but leave this line with Fido?
Jun 15, 2020
160 posts
176 upvotes
Ontario
briand1989 wrote: So, likely that you have to keep a mobile line with Fido for the two years of financing the tablet? Or could you cancel your mobile lines once those two year terms are up?
When I asked them about it, yes, you basically had to get your phone plan on contract as well. Back when I got the offer, there was no way to get into a BYOD contract (since that doesn't make sense lol) so I was being forced to get a phone as well. Luckily they were selling an iPhone 6S for $0 down so it was basically a free phone. They were literally giving me a free phone, tablet and data plan for no extra cost if I signed a piece of paper agreeing to stay with them for 2 years. Face With Tears Of Joy
Feb 19, 2018
136 posts
122 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I got the Samsung tablet last time. Sold it on Kijiji (it was hard to sell). The 24 months finishes in July of next year. Sleepy Face
Jun 15, 2020
160 posts
176 upvotes
Ontario
@briand1989 @mazemos and to anyone who's wondering, I'm 99% sure taking this offer links your tablet plan to your phone, so you can't cancel one without the other. I've heard of people getting away with cancelling their phone plans while keeping the free tablet and data plan, but I also vaguely remember an RFD mod mentioning how a user here may have had legal action taken against them for something related to this offer? Grimacing Face
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
2223 posts
166 upvotes
grosbmi wrote: I got the Samsung tablet last time. Sold it on Kijiji (it was hard to sell). The 24 months finishes in July of next year. Sleepy Face
The Samsung tablet is inferior to the Huawei, that's why it was hard to sell.
May 4, 2018
35 posts
73 upvotes
Newmarket
Been with Fido for 13 years. 3 lines + internet.

The only free item I got from them is yellow umbrella Grinning Face
Dec 17, 2009
597 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
I chatted with a CSR back in July. She told me they are two separate lines and I can move my main line out anytime (my contract was just ended at that time).

It is a basic tablet with good resolution. My mum is happy about it.
Mar 10, 2008
647 posts
74 upvotes
There will be tons of T5 in Kijiji for cheap.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2441 posts
1617 upvotes
Just called and was able to get this offer. 4GB data plan $0 for 2 years + T5 32gb tablet for $0.
$40 activation fee
She checked and the Samsung 8.4 is also eligible but it is $5/month for 2 years instead of $0 like the T5

Thanks op!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

dataRFD