Fido

Home Internet: 50% off 75 and 150 Mbps, $37.50 and $42.50

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2021 10:15 pm
Feb 6, 2016
597 posts
553 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
i received my gift card and i used the balance ,now my question should i contact somewhere to deactivate or to cancel this mastercard, any guidance much appreciated
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16631 posts
3060 upvotes
GTA
hagopb wrote: i received my gift card and i used the balance ,now my question should i contact somewhere to deactivate or to cancel this mastercard, any guidance much appreciated
when did you apply for the gift card?
Feb 6, 2016
597 posts
553 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
actng wrote: when did you apply for the gift card?
not this current promo , i applied in last november
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16631 posts
3060 upvotes
GTA
wow... looks like my speeds just dropped today.
was consistently getting above 250Mbps down...
it's now down to 160Mbps

pinging the modem's gateway is minimum 8ms
Jun 12, 2009
915 posts
336 upvotes
hagopb wrote: i received my gift card and i used the balance ,now my question should i contact somewhere to deactivate or to cancel this mastercard, any guidance much appreciated
You can leave it be; this card is not re-loadable and it's not tied into you in any way.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2013
1063 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
I pay 37.50 (+ TAX) currently for fido internet for the 150/15 package with fido internet and I got the $100 gift card. This was for their promo offered in December. Price hasn't been increased for me.

In reality I'm getting closer to 260mbps Download 15 or 15 upload
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3885 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
Just FYI...
I asked about a Gift Card offer at Walmart (Dufferin Mall). The dude said I could get $25 GC for signing up with them. He said he would give me the GC on the spot (not mailed). I didn't sign up but I might if I don't get a satisfactory offer from Rogers
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1972 posts
253 upvotes
sumrandomguy wrote: I'm currently on the Rogers 500u service, and looking to switch to the Fido 150u, but curious if the speed will be too low for my needs. Don't stream much other than occasional youtube (no Netflix or other streaming services) and I'm in a WFH situation where I'm on Microsoft Teams calls for about 2 hours a day. Would I notice any sort of impact?
A followup to my previous question a few pages back. Signed up with Fido 75u on Saturday morning, and the modem was delivered by Sunday afternoon. Hooked it up, and setup was painless. Same modem as what I had with Rogers (CODA white). Consistently getting 100mbps speeds, and no impact to my WFH situation. Also got a $50 gc from the Walmart I signed up at.
Jan 22, 2019
193 posts
165 upvotes
FYI, I signed up to the Fido deal back in the fall. I had an outage yesterday and one last Tuesday, each for about two hours. It's not nothing when you've got three kids doing online school and a spouse working from home. Both times I was on hold with support for about an hour before being told it's an issue in my area. I'm in Mississauga.

On the bright side, I whined and got a week's credit, which isn't nothing I suppose. On the downside one of the reasons I switched from Carrytel was the expectation of stability.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16631 posts
3060 upvotes
GTA
onemoreastronaut wrote: the expectation of stability.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
lol
sorry man not laughing at you
laughing at how sad our reality is
Mar 13, 2021
139 posts
125 upvotes
onemoreastronaut wrote: FYI, I signed up to the Fido deal back in the fall. I had an outage yesterday and one last Tuesday, each for about two hours. It's not nothing when you've got three kids doing online school and a spouse working from home. Both times I was on hold with support for about an hour before being told it's an issue in my area. I'm in Mississauga.

On the bright side, I whined and got a week's credit, which isn't nothing I suppose. On the downside one of the reasons I switched from Carrytel was the expectation of stability.
TBH, the best stability for me when i had a DUAL WAN running with both DSL and cable internet . The probability of both going down at same time is very low. this ensured all online school and WFH was on without interruption.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16631 posts
3060 upvotes
GTA
dHelpfuldude wrote: TBH, the best stability for me when i had a DUAL WAN running with both DSL and cable internet . The probability of both going down at same time is very low. this ensured all online school and WFH was on without interruption.
SD-WAN is good
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16631 posts
3060 upvotes
GTA
dHelpfuldude wrote: LOL. the problem above is that you are still using cable for both.
O RLY? TELL ME MORE
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4633 posts
5831 upvotes
GTA
txenglan wrote: By signing up, all you're doing is helping Rogers to squash what's left of the remaining small ISPs. Buckle down, spend a bit more and keep at least some competition on a lifeline. If you don't, ISP service pricing is going to skyrocket within the next few years and Canada is already getting ripped off compared to other countries. You've been warned.
+1

This is why I'm going to give CarryTel a go
Sep 13, 2003
174 posts
246 upvotes
Barrie, ON
txenglan wrote: By signing up, all you're doing is helping Rogers to squash what's left of the remaining small ISPs. Buckle down, spend a bit more and keep at least some competition on a lifeline. If you don't, ISP service pricing is going to skyrocket within the next few years and Canada is already getting ripped off compared to other countries. You've been warned.
Who do you use/recommend? What do you pay? What do you get?
That would be helpful info we could use here.
Mar 13, 2021
139 posts
125 upvotes
actng wrote: O RLY? TELL ME MORE
how many cables do you get from the node? is it single in the house with splitter?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3712 posts
2027 upvotes
pwr1019 wrote: Who do you use/recommend? What do you pay? What do you get?
That would be helpful info we could use here.
Actually, what I get and pay for isn't really helpful at all and the reason is, both Rogers and Bell have a strangle hold on the physical infrastructure and they are ripping off the small ISPs while simultaneously using their owned "pretend" small ISP competitors to lure you into contracts so they can hasten the demise of the few remaining indie ISPs and then jack up the prices to new high altitude levels of abuse. However, I'll tell you anyway, just for reference - I'm currently with Ebox with $49 for 75 mbps. Like I said, it doesn't really matter who you go with, just don't give all your money to Bell/Rogers. No matter which small ISP you choose, most of your cash will still go to Rogers/Bell but at least some of it will help the small ISP survive until the government hopefully steps in and punches Rogers/Bell in the face.
Sep 8, 2010
333 posts
877 upvotes
Calgary
Good deal, Wish we can get it here in Alberta

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)