Expired Hot Deals

Fido

Home Phone free for 12 months on a 2-year term (existing customers)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2016 8:33 pm
Tags:
May 21, 2007
259 posts
343 upvotes
Montreal, QC
spotts01 wrote: BUT - please test for about a month. Do not initially port your number. There have been cases where this system reacts funny with the female voice -don't laugh it true. When this system detects a touch tone (Press 1 for English) it intercepts the signal and at the main server it inserts a fresh touch tone signal since the tone coming over the device is deemed not to be good enough. Female voices typically are closer in frequency to touch tones and when they pronounce certain vowel sounds the override kicks in and your caller on the other end hears a touch tone sound. You do not hear it at your end. So you will only know about if your caller tells you, which often they will not. This was the case about 18months ago - I don't know if it has been addressed, I am the only person who uses my line, and the touch tones do not seem to be an issue for me.
I was wondering why I sometime hear a tone signal when talking to my wife, I tought it was an issue with the phone itself. Thanks for explaining that!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9198 posts
10691 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Ouch.. Yet another price hike. Was $10 then $15 and now $18/mth. The promo is just to blur the reality that this is a 20% price increase for the service on a long term basis. I guess they gotta pay for that Vice slop somehow.

Plus with this you have to deal with 2 yr term and cancellation fees vs previously month to month. I think it would be short sighted to give up the $10 plan to get these upfront "savings."
May 21, 2007
259 posts
343 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jinsandy wrote: im currently paying 10$ a month for this in QC. is this deal worth it for me? it seems that it is more expensive in the long run
You would end up saving $96.48 after the two years term, but end up losing it after 2 years and 4 month. After that, it would cost $3.45 more per months.

10 + taxes in quebec = 11.49 per month
11.49 * 24 = 275.76 actual cost for two years
13 + taxes in quebec = 14.94 per month for the two year term
14.94 * 12 = 179.28 cost for the two year term
275.76 - 179.28 = 96.48 saving over two years
14.94 - 11.49 = 3.45 cost difference per month
96.48 / 3.45 = 27,96 months
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
1091 posts
1565 upvotes
inonosa wrote: need someone to actually test it out.

last time when the agent was trying to sell me that, I'm being told that:

*It has no fax support
*It's sim card can't be used in a cellphone....
First one is correct but I doubt the second one is... It's a normal multi-sim in there, pretty sure they say that so people don't go for $15 unlimited nation wide lol
cartfan123 wrote: Ouch.. Yet another price hike. Was $10 then $15 and now $18/mth. The promo is just to blur the reality that this is a 20% price increase for the service on a long term basis. I guess they gotta pay for that Vice slop somehow.

Plus with this you have to deal with 2 yr term and cancellation fees vs previously month to month. I think it would be short sighted to give up the $10 plan to get these upfront "savings."
From what I know this is treated like a regular phone activation so there is no fees to cancel per CRTC rules, the only thing is maybe there is the device balance for the phone which is like $45 payed out across 2 years. Still across 2 years now vs. before you were looking at 15*24=$360 vs 18*12=$216.
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
spotts01 wrote: I had this system for about 2.5 yrs now with Rogers - ever since they first came out. It does have a battery for about 3-4 hours backup use. Who knows what the battery is like now. I pay $10/month and that includes unlimited Cda wide, call display (not name display), and Call Fwd. Call Fwd is extra now.

I did have a Rogers post paid acct, not share everything, but my post paid plan at the time did qualify. Since then, I have canceled my post paid (about 18 month ago), but I continue to receive this deal. This is my only account with Rogers

Reliability is great. Quality is pretty good. voices are clear, but there is a slight delay sometimes causing people to talk over each other, but typically not that bad.

If you have good internet and want to get rid of your Bell line, I would probably recommend a VOIP system. But if your internet is rural (satellite, thumb drive modem, or worse) then this is a good replacement to a land line.

BUT - please test for about a month. Do not initially port your number. There have been cases where this system reacts funny with the female voice -don't laugh it true. When this system detects a touch tone (Press 1 for English) it intercepts the signal and at the main server it inserts a fresh touch tone signal since the tone coming over the device is deemed not to be good enough. Female voices typically are closer in frequency to touch tones and when they pronounce certain vowel sounds the override kicks in and your caller on the other end hears a touch tone sound. You do not hear it at your end. So you will only know about if your caller tells you, which often they will not. This was the case about 18months ago - I don't know if it has been addressed, I am the only person who uses my line, and the touch tones do not seem to be an issue for me.
bother to plug the sim to a cellphone and see if that works?
Jun 19, 2011
243 posts
67 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
Last time I had Fido Home Phone it worked. Note the SIM is a normal size SIM.

Also the phone was an older unlocked BB Curve.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4829 posts
1490 upvotes
BiteSizeThumb wrote: Unfortunately, this system will go down when there is a power outage.
In addition to what Lobloco has said, wireless home phone is mandated by law to always be running and have 911 service. Also, the devices can run for 3-5 hours on battery.
Sep 20, 2013
433 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
^ True. Once we even used it on battery while driving in a car. Worked perfectly.
Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1131 posts
99 upvotes
What about existing fido home phone customers. I just signed up last month. Think they will give me back the fee i paid for the home phone device? Currently paying $15/month
Sep 4, 2014
699 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bonita! wrote: What about existing fido home phone customers. I just signed up last month. Think they will give me back the fee i paid for the home phone device? Currently paying $15/month
defenitely try and call them and see what they can do. if the first rep won't do it, call back to talk to another one then if he does'nt want to do it also, ask to talk to his supervisor they should be able to hook you up with something interesting. Good luck!
Aug 1, 2014
292 posts
209 upvotes
I already have Fido home phone. Just wondering if its also available to existing customers
Sep 4, 2014
699 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Khichdi wrote: I already have Fido home phone. Just wondering if its also available to existing customers
Definitively yes
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15175 posts
12555 upvotes
GTA, ON
Khichdi wrote: I already have Fido home phone. Just wondering if its also available to existing customers
Don't do this if you currently have the $10plan and are planning to keep your FIDO home phone for another 2+ yrs, you'll get stuck with a higher monthly cost thereafter, plus you're stuck in contract for 2yrs.

$18 * 12mths = $216

$10 * 24mth = $240. You'll only be saving $24 over 2yrs, which that will be a loss 1mth after the end of 2yrs.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Sep 4, 2014
699 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bravoure wrote: With 2 years contract (with 12 months free) and the other 12 months at 18$ for ON,BC,AB,NB,NS and 13$ for QC,MB,SK.
So it's basically 9$ for ON,BC,AB,NB,NS and 6.5$ for QC,MB,SK.
You also get the Home Phone device for 0$ with the contract.
You must be an Fido postpaid customer.

'*Offer ends March 31, 2016, subject to change without notice. Early cancellation fees apply. Offers subject to change without notice. Available only to Fido Home Phone customers with a postpaid monthly plan including voice services (data-only plans excluded). A 2-year term is required for a Fido Home Phone plan. Additional airtime, international long distance, roaming, add-ons and taxes are extra and billed monthly. ZTE Home Phone device required. On the Fido network (excludes Extended Coverage areas). Service intended for home use only.
Pro tip: you get 50$ credit if you add this on your account if you have a current fido number[strike] or 25$ if you get someones refferal. Thought they have to fill out a form online BEFORE you make your account so that you get the refferal credit. Good luck folks ![/strike] appears to only be available to new customer, try and call them first.
With the 50$ credit it comes down to --> 12*13$(QC)=156$-50$(if on the same account)=106$/24months=4.416$/month for 24 months then 13$/month.
Sep 4, 2014
699 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kyli wrote: That's really hot. What if I leave Fido phone plan during 2 yr contract?
You pay whatever is left of the 40$ subsidy of the unit. So after 12 moths if you cancel you would have to pay 20$, This has been confirmed by a CSR.
Jan 26, 2011
460 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
jojothejoker wrote: Pro tip: you get 50$ credit if you add this on your account if you have a current fido number or 25$ if you get someones refferal. Thought they have to fill out a form online BEFORE you make your account so that you get the refferal credit. Good luck folks !
With the 50$ credit it comes down to --> 12*13$(QC)=156$-50$(if on the same account)=106$/24months=4.416$/month for 24 months then 13$/month.
I have Fido home phone at $15 per month and 1 cell phone account $35 per month now.How do I get either of the 2 credits mentioned above if I sign up for the new home phone plan ?
Thanks. Looking for some help or advice.
Sep 4, 2014
699 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheRonald wrote: I have Fido home phone at $15 per month and 1 cell phone account $35 per month now.How do I get either of the 2 credits mentioned above if I sign up for the new home phone plan ?
Thanks. Looking for some help or advice.
hmm... you could add another line home phone, that would get you the 50$ credit and then cancel your current home phone line and ask to switch the numbers perhaps they could do that. I know they have switch numbers around for mobiles on different plans on the same account so this should be similar. This would would get you both discounts, you would endup with the 4ish$ rate. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1131 posts
99 upvotes
How do you get the $50 credit? Is this on top of the free home phone device?
Jan 26, 2011
460 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
jojothejoker wrote: hmm... you could add another line home phone, that would get you the 50$ credit and then cancel your current home phone line and ask to switch the numbers perhaps they could do that. I know they have switch numbers around for mobiles on different plans on the same account so this should be similar. This would would get you both discounts, you would endup with the 4ish$ rate. Good luck!
Thanks for info.But I am both too lazy and inexperienced in this process.
Good luck to all that can get this to work.