does it matter?

Fido Internet again increases price to $75 for 75/10 unlimited plan

Fido Internet again increased pries to $75 for 75 Mbps1/10upload Unlimited

75 Mbps1

Upload speed up to

10 Mbps

Your data is

Unlimited

Just learned of this via email and offering me $10 discount for next 12 months.

Even TekSavvy is almost same as this or may be more with modem expenses.

I am sick of monopoly with this cellphone/Internet price. I can add more but the rant might go on and on.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 6th, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typos in title
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing new. You can either live with the price or move to another company.

Personally, I am tired of always switching and will stick with Bell Fibe for the foreseeable future.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
audit13 wrote: Nothing new. You can either live with the price or move to another company.

Personally, I am tired of always switching and will stick with Bell Fibe for the foreseeable future.
you are correct about switching. I use to hate that too. But TekSavvy started coming with cheap plans for same and I switched.
After few years Fido/Rogers/Bell started screwing the nuts/bolts are right places and TS became expensive. So Switched to fido.
Its been few years now. But now this. I am chatting with them right at moment to get discount if I sign 12 month contact.
I don't want to mess around as covid is making me jumpy already. so looking for contract.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote: you are correct about switching. I use to hate that too. But TekSavvy started coming with cheap plans for same and I switched.
After few years Fido/Rogers/Bell started screwing the nuts/bolts are right places and TS became expensive. So Switched to fido.
Its been few years now. But now this. I am chatting with them right at moment to get discount if I sign 12 month contact.
I don't want to mess around as covid is making me jumpy already. so looking for contract.
Working from home was really difficult after I switched to Rogers Ignite Internet and Ignite TV from Rogers non-Ignite. Once I switched, I would get disconnected from the internet at random times and for a few seconds to 15 minutes. Rogers ran a new line, swapped modems, and nothing they did completely solved the problem. I switched to Bell in March, 2020 and have not had one disconnect or any down time. I'm paying more per month but definitely worth it to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1403 posts
1683 upvotes
Work harder, peasant. Rogers shareholders need your money more than you do.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
I was with bell but from their arrogant/disastrous tech support from India was last straw. And then when I switched to Rogers they charged me $110 for early contract disconnection fee. In fact as per their record I was over 2-3 weeks and the contract was finished. So I had to call many times to correct but received final bill with added one months fee on top.
SO I called Toronto Star famous lady. She asked my details. Also complained in DSLreports dedicated forum for bell. Informed them You will hear from Toronto Star.
Within one day everything was fine and no additional charges to be paid back. I thanked Star lady but she said sorry she will call Bell tomorrow. I said don't worry even threat worked very well.

Since then No more Bell at my house. To be honest I have bell but that is for office package. Work from home and this was even before pandemic.
Furniture monitor,system internet. Thousands of employees got it. So Yes I will not pay anything to bell unless paid by someone else.

To the Fido update. It was $65 with $25 discount for 12 montsh. Now it is $75 with $30 discount. I will suck it up this year.
Yes It is spotty with disconnection.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote: I was with bell but from their arrogant/disastrous tech support from India was last straw. And then when I switched to Rogers they charged me $110 for early contract disconnection fee. In fact as per their record I was over 2-3 weeks and the contract was finished. So I had to call many times to correct but received final bill with added one months fee on top.
SO I called Toronto Star famous lady. She asked my details. Also complained in DSLreports dedicated forum for bell. Informed them You will hear from Toronto Star.
Within one day everything was fine and no additional charges to be paid back. I thanked Star lady but she said sorry she will call Bell tomorrow. I said don't worry even threat worked very well.

Since then No more Bell at my house. To be honest I have bell but that is for office package. Work from home and this was even before pandemic.
Furniture monitor,system internet. Thousands of employees got it. So Yes I will not pay anything to bell unless paid by someone else.

To the Fido update. It was $65 with $25 discount for 12 montsh. Now it is $75 with $30 discount. I will suck it up this year.
Yes It is spotty with disconnection.
Many people don't like Bell but there is no denying that FTTH is often better than cable even though cable is usually cheaper.

Glad you got a break on the Fido monthly cost.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
I feel your pain OP - I was on Fido's 60/10 grandfathered plan and it was awesome.........

speeds were consistently around 70+.............and price was locked in at $60 / month for many years with no price increases.....no disconnects or downtime....

But I had a ton of issues with video lag & jitter once I started working from home during the pandemic and was to be on video calls............so I opted to go with Fido's higher tier speed of 150/15 for $85 with a discount for 12 months.....didn't help.........still had terrible video lag & jitter....

I ended up swtiching to Virgin's 100/10 FTTH to try it out & wow, no more video lag or jitter..............smooth.........

so loving VM's 100/10 FTTH for $45/month for 12months - just dreading after 12months and the price going back up to $80 / month....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
audit13 wrote: Many people don't like Bell but there is no denying that FTTH is often better than cable even though cable is usually cheaper.

Glad you got a break on the Fido monthly cost.
I agree. But funny part was till recently they had only 6Mb speed for me. Then they upgraded the cables and I got 30Mb. But it was from TekSavvy with free modem.
After few months Fido came with same offer with free modem. So switched to Fido. Next year no discount so switched to TS cable with same money but modem cost.
Then next year Fido had offer with 50Mb but for $35 per month for year. So after 3 years they refused the discount.
So I went back TS cable for same speed/money. But again new modem.
Next year Fido came with new same offer so back to fido. Its been about $5 increase per month but a bit faster speed.
Now they Bell installed Fiber right till near by Hydro and Gas meter.
Only again tried 2 months TS (dsl). But every time ip changes I used to verify security for hotmail. It was pen to do 3-4 times per day.
So changed back to fido.
As I said have Bell but all company paid and responsibility.
Any time line/power goes down their outsourced guy call within 2-3 mts to check why it went down. They follow with bell as their responsibility.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
I am on the fido $150 walmart/amazon gift card promo for 150Mbit plan, and got the email about price increasing after a year. They offered $60 after discounts. So I pay am paying around $10 more than before.

Any new promos from rogers or fido come out, or should we wait until closer to start of school before we see any?
Last edited by evilYoda on Aug 6th, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: I ended up swtiching to Virgin's 100/10 FTTH to try it out & wow, no more video lag or jitter..............smooth.........

so loving VM's 100/10 FTTH for $45/month for 12months - just dreading after 12months and the price going back up to $80 / month....
After all my disconnects and down time with Rogers 500 Mbps service, I switched to Bell FTTH 50/50 service to try it out. I had both services for about 10 days to ensure that I was happy with Bell before leaving Rogers. The lower ping times and faster uploads with Bell made the Internet and all things Internet-related were much snappier.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
AliAdib wrote: Who's "Toronto Star famous lady"?
when did you get banned man? now using this id?

Ellen Roseman
Contributing Columnist
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
callernamet wrote: I am sick of monopoly with this cellphone/Internet price. I can add more but the rant might go on and on.
Sorry. It is what it is.

It's been years ... and every blood thread that people start is about complaining.

The government does NOTHING about it. Too bad.

If you don't like it ... you have three choices:

#1 - Change providers ... but you will encounter the same issue with another provider down the line.

#2 - Don't use it ... but you can't because you need to use it.

#3 - Move to a country where it is cost friendly.

REMEMBER. You cannot compare the rates here versus our friends south of the border. There are a crap load more people down there. Their rates are cheaper because there are more subscribers ... thereby lowering the cost to provide.

REMEMBER. Rogers / Bell / Telus (and all their subsidiary companies) are all GREEDY. And their backbone is the government.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: Work harder, peasant. Rogers shareholders need your money more than you do.
Red Flag chumps okay with the duopoly again. Nothing new here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)