[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON

Fido internet, maybe a good time to jump ship

Just came across this: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33397 ... o-150-Mbps

It's bizarre but Fido became TPIA while technically being Rogers, if that information is correct. Their prices for cable internet have risen and if you are with them on some kind of promotion it is likely the price will rise at the end of it.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2232 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA
alpovs wrote: Just came across this: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33397 ... o-150-Mbps

It's bizarre but Fido became TPIA while technically being Rogers, if that information is correct. Their prices for cable internet have risen and if you are with them on some kind of promotion it is likely the price will rise at the end of it.
Rogers also removed the cheap 30/5 unlimited tier they had for low cost subscribers and the 75/10 tier. The base unlimited plan is 50/10. (I don't count the 10/5 because its capped at 100GB). Pretty greedy move by Robbers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON
heyyahblah wrote: Rogers also removed the cheap 30/5 unlimited tier they had for low cost subscribers and the 75/10 tier. The base unlimited plan is 50/10. (I don't count the 10/5 because its capped at 100GB). Pretty greedy move by Robbers.
But Fido didn't remove 30/5. Why did you say "also"? And 50/10 is still there.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2232 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA
alpovs wrote: But Fido didn't remove 30/5. Why did you say "also"? And 50/10 is still there.
Fido's plans were 30/5, 75/10 and 150/15. Fido dropped 75/10 for 50/10 and 150/15 for 100/10. Lowered the speeds and increased the price, also lowering the upload by 5mb is a low blow.

Rogers low tier services were 5/1, 30/5, 75/10. Rogers replaced 5/1 with 10/5 and removed the 30/5 and 75/10 option and replaced 75/10 with a more expensive 50/10 for low end subscribers and increased the price of 150/15. I doubt Rogers or Fido is going to grandfather any of their plans.

Rogers still hasn't upgraded my area with FTTH so the QoS is still shite like it was at the start of the pandemic when everything was oversubscribed and I was watching neighbours all around me jump ship to Bell.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2887 posts
2136 upvotes
Southern Ontario
heyyahblah wrote: Rogers still hasn't upgraded my area with FTTH so the QoS is still shite like it was at the start of the pandemic when everything was oversubscribed and I was watching neighbours all around me jump ship to Bell.
Same thing happened here when I was on Teksavvy, still piggybacking on old Cogeco Cable and bottle necked all the time. Jumped to Virgin Fibe with a promo then when it ended, full price - no deals when I called up.

I think these companies want to make as much money as possible, as they see all the other companies adding a bunch of profit on top of inflation - it's free money! This is Canada, nobody complains or advocates for the consumer so we pay high rates. Why we have monopolies and areas where only certain companies can sell their service, is beyond me. It just hurts the consumer.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3617 posts
2555 upvotes
we pay less than americans and get faster speeds for internet. But we pay more for cellphone plans
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2887 posts
2136 upvotes
Southern Ontario
evilYoda wrote: we pay less than americans and get faster speeds for internet. But we pay more for cellphone plans
I see some plans advertised on Detroit TV for $99, unlimited internet + TV + Cellphone. Don't think we have anything like that unless you do locally. I'm paying $70 just for my 100mbps Internet.

We don't win a prize for being the 4th highest in cost.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON
evilYoda wrote: we pay less than americans and get faster speeds for internet.
Seriously? Are you speaking for all Americans and all Canadians? This is simply not true.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON
Gibsons wrote: I see some plans advertised on Detroit TV for $99, unlimited internet + TV + Cellphone. Don't think we have anything like that unless you do locally. I'm paying $70 just for my 100mbps Internet.

The chart is pointless. How do you define an "internet price"? Is it normalized by speed, availability? Does it include the Musk internet?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4013 posts
1111 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: I see some plans advertised on Detroit TV for $99, unlimited internet + TV + Cellphone. Don't think we have anything like that unless you do locally. I'm paying $70 just for my 100mbps Internet.

Lets be fair, us Canadians also make way more money. Country is huge. its impossible for these providers to give cheaper internet considering how much it costs to maintaince the furnace of Canada and also pay their workers living wage, while pleasing their share holders ***big THING***. What should happen to reduce costs is the guvern stopping these mono polies and allowing different companies to enter. Other countries they are cheap because its just cities joining each others networks together, also these countries their speeds die when they leave the continent.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4013 posts
1111 upvotes

What should happen to reduce costs is the guvern stopping these mono polies and allowing different companies to enter.
Rogers isnt as bad as Bell they want $90 for 50mbit dsl in my area... wtf..

EDIT anyone in Downtown core look at beanfield?

EDIT this chart is highly bad, it doesn't even say what speed these countries get. i know for a fact Germany is got crappy slow internet. Many of these other countries do too.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2887 posts
2136 upvotes
Southern Ontario
EEE2 wrote: Lets be fair, us Canadians also make way more money. Country is huge. its impossible for these providers to give cheaper internet considering how much it costs to maintaince the furnace of Canada and also pay their workers living wage, while pleasing their share holders ***big THING***. What should happen to reduce costs is the guvern stopping these mono polies and allowing different companies to enter. Other countries they are cheap because its just cities joining each others networks together, also these countries their speeds die when they leave the continent.
You can be fair with generalizations that aren't true, I just see sales on US tv that I've never seen here before. CDN income might be higher but most US states have lower tax rates and they keep more of their money. There is a lot more to the story than the generalizations you just made up.

You can argue who has it better all you want, but almost everything is cheaper over in the US and that's just the way it's usually been. For instance, Gas is $4.25/Gallon across the river and it's $1.92/Liter here. We're paying about $7.50 CDN a gallon while they're paying about $5.50 CDN on most likely the same Gasoline that came from the Sarnia plant.

The Xfinity deal I saw in Michigan was $19.99 Promo for 100mbps (same as I buy) then it goes to regular price at $39.95. This is without bundling. They also only have 6% Sales Tax there, another 7% savings.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON
EEE2 wrote: Lets be fair, us Canadians also make way more money.
Definitely less than people in the USA and Switzerland. Not that sure about other countries.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15138 posts
12529 upvotes
GTA, ON
Wow!
I won't even tread lightly with my reaction: F*ck You Fido, F*ck You Rogers, F*ck You Edward Rogers.

So 150/15 went from $75/mth to $85/mth last year and now to $90/mth while dropping the service to 100/10

So they essentially increased the price 20% over 2yrs and at the same time decreased the service by 33%. Might as well say they are charging an extra 50%
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15138 posts
12529 upvotes
GTA, ON
OP @alpovs should consider getting this thread moved to Shopping Discussion so more people see this.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON
chimaican wrote: OP @alpovs should consider getting this thread moved to Shopping Discussion so more people see this.
I don't have powers to do this.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4013 posts
1111 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Wow!
I won't even tread lightly with my reaction: F*ck You Fido, F*ck You Rogers, F*ck You Edward Rogers.

So 150/15 went from $75/mth to $85/mth last year and now to $90/mth while dropping the service to 100/10

So they essentially increased the price 20% over 2yrs and at the same time decreased the service by 33%. Might as well say they are charging an extra 50%
Bring me fiber 1000/1000 and ill pay the $150 a month where I am. I dont care. But what sucks is the prices go up and upload still slow. I bet you for 100% of the population they just buy it. On RFD people with high knowledge they fight these prices.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15138 posts
12529 upvotes
GTA, ON
EEE2 wrote: Bring me fiber 1000/1000 and ill pay the $150 a month where I am. I dont care. But what sucks is the prices go up and upload still slow. I bet you for 100% of the population they just buy it. On RFD people with high knowledge they fight these prices.
Yeah, most of us on RFD that have Fido internet are paying 50% monthly discount ($37.50-$42.50 150M/15), but when renewal time, I can't imagine what will happen if we are denied any further discounts unless we switch to these garbage plans. Even at 50% off, $45 for 100/10? smh
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3617 posts
2555 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Wow!

your current plan is still grandfathered, until you leave the service.
Apr 8, 2020
610 posts
406 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: Bring me fiber 1000/1000 and ill pay the $150 a month where I am. I dont care. But what sucks is the prices go up and upload still slow. I bet you for 100% of the population they just buy it. On RFD people with high knowledge they fight these prices.
100/100 low ping and will be happy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)