Cell Phones

Fido iPhone 12 mini worth the price discount?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 5:04 pm
[OP]
Jul 17, 2020
52 posts
115 upvotes

Fido iPhone 12 mini worth the price discount?

Hello,

Thinking about upgrading my phone to the iPhone 12 mini. Currently can get it from Fido for $0 down and instead of paying $42 a month just for phone you pay $21 a month for 24 months. At the end of 2 years you only pay $504 dollars for a brand new phone. Besides the Android vs Apple debate. You all think this is a decent deal or no?

Thanks
14 replies
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
What’s your current phone?
derscojoh wrote: Hello,

Thinking about upgrading my phone to the iPhone 12 mini. Currently can get it from Fido for $0 down and instead of paying $42 a month just for phone you pay $21 a month for 24 months. At the end of 2 years you only pay $504 dollars for a brand new phone. Besides the Android vs Apple debate. You all think this is a decent deal or no?

Thanks
Apr 29, 2020
20 posts
22 upvotes
I just got iPhone 12 mini from Rogers for $9.75 a month. The one where you have to bring it back
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3010 posts
1982 upvotes
Toronto

Thanks
I've been looking at this option as well.
So much has been said about not locking in and how we no longer get subsidized phones.
Well, this is an example where I think it's worth signing a 2 year contract.

It's difficult to find an iPhone 12 mini to buy outright for $500. A new one will run you at least $400 more.
So if your plan is a good one, why not lock in.

Even if you can get a cheaper plan elsewhere, is it going to be $400 less over 24 months?

However, I'm not fond of Fido's method of taxing the full price instead of the discounted one.

Also consider going through BB for $200 GC or TMS for PC points.
May 26, 2020
215 posts
109 upvotes
Koodo has the mini for about the same price as well. Good deal. I think it might be due to excess stock as the mini has not sold well. I would love to have this size of phone.
Apr 8, 2021
342 posts
346 upvotes
Montreal
bought mine on marketplace for 750 new last month

500 is an awesome price

iPhone 13 won’t bring much new, not worth it IMO
'2003
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2089 posts
745 upvotes
Edmonton

Thanks
Only worth it if you're willing to stick with Fido for 24 months. Otherwise, expect to pay all that discount back.... The discount is calculated on bloated carrier MSRP.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3010 posts
1982 upvotes
Toronto
tablo13 wrote: Only worth it if you're willing to stick with Fido for 24 months. Otherwise, expect to pay all that discount back.... The discount is calculated on bloated carrier MSRP.
The difference between Apple store and carrier is $29. That’s only just a bit more than $1/mth

Still much cheaper than buying phone outright.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2559 posts
3618 upvotes
GTA
I have the 12 mini as I like phones that are not tablet sized, so I can use them in one hand.
iPhone 4 -> 5S -> SE (v1) -> 12 mini

Good price for one.

edit: $24/month for 128GB. I’d pick this.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19061 posts
6432 upvotes
Toronto

Thanks
How much are you paying for cell service?
[OP]
Jul 17, 2020
52 posts
115 upvotes
audit13 wrote: How much are you paying for cell service?
I now it’s not cheap but I use a lot of data throughout the month. $60 unlimited 21 gigs of data
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19061 posts
6432 upvotes
Toronto
derscojoh wrote: I now it’s not cheap but I use a lot of data throughout the month. $60 unlimited 21 gigs of data
That's not bad in my opinion.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
derscojoh wrote: iPhone XR
I also came from an Xr. Been using the mini since October last year. If you’re happy with the plan I’d say $500 and change for the mini is a great price. Haven’t used android in a while so I can’t make any comparisons with regards to hardware or android functionalities but purely on the value of the mini and fhe price you can get it at, it’s a no brainer.

I felt the Xr was too big for my needs. It’s a great phone in its own right but much too clunky. So if you are a fan of small phones, go for it. If the Xr has no issues then I wouldn’t upgrade as the 12 and Xr are pretty dead even in day to day usability.
Nov 5, 2006
333 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I too am debating getting this deal from Fido. It’s not a bad price, and I’d probably spend a few $ more a month for the 128 Gb version.

I’m waiting until the new iPhones are released to see if there’s any greater discounts on the older phones. Might as well wait another month or so OP if you can.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)