Cell Phones

Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2022 3:49 pm
Mar 13, 2013
290 posts
108 upvotes
LONDON
Trying to set up freephoneline with Fido, but I am experiencing some troubles please help.

I have paid for the unlock key for freephone line. I am using LG G4 (unlocked from koodo) which runs Android 6. It does NOT have native SIP dialer.

I am currently experimenting with Zoiper.

On wifi, I can dial/receive calls using Zoiper/Freephoneline, quality is very good.

On data, I can dial out, it works as expected. However, when I receive a call, I don't hear anything from the incoming phone, nor does the person hear me.

My questions are:

1) what SIP client is recommended on Android 6?
2) any particular setup I have to use on Zoiper to get the incoming call (on data) to work properly?
3) what are the possible causes why incoming call does not work properly on Fido data? That is, I can answer the call, so the routing does work; but I cannot hear anything or can the person calling me hear anything.

regards,
Sep 1, 2016
20 posts
1 upvote
max011 wrote: mmmmm.... no
If you log out of your account, then no. Otherwise, just by closing the app, you're still able to receive a call.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5046 posts
7134 upvotes
Vancouver
User588368 wrote: If you log out of your account, then no. Otherwise, just by closing the app, you're still able to receive a call.
With Fongo, even open app does not guaranty you will receive the call. Been there, done that, never going back from Groundwire +VOIP.MS combo just to save a few dollars...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3319 upvotes
deal1234321 wrote: I find that calls are really bad when on wifi.
9613019 wrote: Yes, my Fongo works better on Data rather than WiFi.
No SIP service is inherently worse over Wi-Fi than with cellular data.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 13th, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3319 upvotes
max011 wrote: With Fongo, even open app does not guaranty you will receive the call.
Please consider what conditions must exist in order for you to not receive a call with a SIP service.
User588368 is correct, by the way, on iOS. People can force close the app on iOS (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201330), and incoming calls can still be received, provided the user is still logged in.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5046 posts
7134 upvotes
Vancouver
Webslinger wrote: Please consider what conditions must exist in order for you to not receive a call with a SIP service.
SIP trunking works without a hitch for me now [Groundwire + VOIP.MS] Don't recall any missed calls. [I still have a "Plan B" for business calls tho..]

Fongo app. on the other hand while I was trying to use it was something different..

Conditions, you ask? Let's see: West Coast, Android, Nexus phone [at that time].....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3319 upvotes
max011 wrote: Conditions, you ask? Let's see: West Coast, Android, Nexus phone [at that time].....
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... on-Android
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ming-Calls

Yes, and if significant packet loss or huge ping spikes are occurring for any reason, calls will fail.

I'm going to be honest: if I'm really far away from southern Ontario (or, more importantly, know that I'm getting bad jitter and pings to their servers), I'm probably not going to even try to use Fongo Mobile for anything other than call forwarding within the 10 Canadian provinces or for incoming faxes (once the incoming fax call is answered by Fongo Mobile's voicemail system the incoming fax is automatically converted to PDF file format and can be viewed directly in the app), neither of which (call forwarding and incoming fax calls) rely on cellular data, Wi-Fi, or your internet connection.

Btw, I've been using Groundwire for years.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 14th, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5046 posts
7134 upvotes
Vancouver
Webslinger wrote: Yes, and if significant packet loss or huge ping spikes are occurring for any reason, calls will fail.

I'm going to be honest: if I'm really far away from southern Ontario (or, more importantly, know that I'm getting bad jitter and pings to their servers), I'm probably not going to even try to use Fongo Mobile for anything other than call forwarding within the 10 Canadian provinces or for incoming faxes (once the incoming fax call is answered by Fongo Mobile's voicemail system the incoming fax is automatically converted to PDF file format and can be viewed directly in the app), neither of which (call forwarding and incoming fax calls) rely on cellular data, Wi-Fi, or your internet connection.

I've been using Groundwire for years.
True. All of this.

And I appreciate that you always mention Call Forwarding with Fongo - this is the single best and the safest use of Fongo I am aware of [in my case]. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3319 upvotes
max011 wrote: True. All of this.

And I appreciate that you always mention Call Forwarding with Fongo - this is the single best and the safest use of Fongo I am aware of [in my case]. Thanks.
Honestly, I'm happy Fongo Mobile exists just for incoming faxes (easy and simple for personal usage). And it's free (or relatively cheap). I know most people don't like faxing anymore (or rarely fax), but unfortunately, it's still used frequently by hospitals, doctors, dentists, lawyers, real estate agents, banks/financial institutions, etc. So, I've found Fongo Mobile to be pretty useful for that reason when I'm outside.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24375 posts
20466 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Webslinger wrote: Honestly, I'm happy Fongo Mobile exists just for incoming faxes (easy and simple for personal usage). And it's free (or relatively cheap). I know most people don't like faxing anymore (or rarely fax), but unfortunately, it's still used frequently by hospitals, doctors, dentists, lawyers, real estate agents, banks/financial institutions, etc. So, I've found Fongo Mobile to be pretty useful for that reason when I'm outside.
Given that "unfortunately" qualifier, ISTM your list needs another entry--spammers ;) I get regular (weekly) spams from some idiot who thinks the more times he faxes me the more likely I am to buy windows from him.

[Meanwhile as the Brits debate whether or not to Brexit they've made up their minds about faxes: NHS to ban fax machines from 2020.]

One very useful feature of Fongo, for the many people who don't want to mess with conventional VoIP solutions, remains the ability to make and receive phone calls and get texts on a Canadian number from anywhere on the planet where there's an Internet connection at no cost. That makes it very useful as a generic contact number for Canadians who travel.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3319 upvotes
bylo wrote: I get regular (weekly) spams from some idiot who thinks the more times he faxes me the more likely I am to buy windows from him.
I doubt he thinks that at all. Rather, it's more common that because the call was answered at your number at some point, it was added to a spam distribution list. If I were running a fax robodialer business or service, it would also probably be trivial for me to discover blocks of Fibernetics numbers, many of them in use with Freephoneline, Fongo Home Phone, and Fongo Mobile, and spam them, knowing that they all accept faxes once voicemail answers the call.

If the fax spam call is coming from a Canadian source, you could add yourself to the Do Not Call list: https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng.
And then when your number with the Do Not Call List is in effect, you could file complaints: https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en/Consumer/File-a-complaint/#!/.
FWIW, a friend was receiving window (and window cleaning) fax calls from a Canadian source on his Fongo Mobile number almost immediately after signing up. I suspect the number was in use before. One week after adding his Fongo Mobile number to the DNCL list, the incoming fax calls stopped. While I realize that's anecdotal evidence, the fax calls did stop.

However, the do not call list is often considered a joke because it's a location for foreign telemarketers to collect everyone's phone number. And they'll just spoof or fake outgoing phone numbers and call you constantly. With respect to spam faxes, however, they're less likely to come, in my experience, from international sources (if someone wants you to buy windows, it would be pretty stupid to try to sell them from India, for example). Foreign telemarketers are less likely to care about Canadian rules, regulations, and laws. Scams can be reported at http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifr ... ex-eng.htm, regardless.

One thing that really helped me with telemarketers in general was getting my phone numbers removed from Google searches. If you can google your phone number online, it's game over.
I wasn't getting calls from window sellers and cleaners, but I used to get cold calls from real estate agents on my home phone number (FPL), especially Remax agents. Nomorobo wasn't blocking them.
After I got my number removed from sites, the cold calling stopped. I could have constructed a white list on my Obihai ATA, but I find that's pretty restrictive to be blocking everyone that I don't know. I've never paid for their service (nor do I have anything to do with Privacy Duck), but Privacy Duck videos contain some decent info that can be applied generally: https://www.privacyduck.com/resources/.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3319 upvotes
There's an issue with certain VoIP.ms servers at the moment: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32221419-.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r322213 ... tle3-issue.
Mar 13, 2013
290 posts
108 upvotes
LONDON
ryanrudolf wrote: i still have 2.6GB left on my monthly allocation, and still have 18days to go before it resets! i use it purely for VoIP and so far so good!
I am struggling with this. Can you please tell me which SIP client you are using and which provider?

regards,
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1524 posts
1014 upvotes
GTA
chene7 wrote: I am struggling with this. Can you please tell me which SIP client you are using and which provider?

regards,
im using Groundwire client. It connects to my FreePBX install which uses voipms and googlevoice. By default when i dial a number it uses my googlevoice account to save on voipms credits. i use a dial prefix to use voipms.
++ $8 talk text data plan + $0 3GB data only plan + Pixel 3a XL
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5046 posts
7134 upvotes
Vancouver
chene7 wrote: I am struggling with this. Can you please tell me which SIP client you are using and which provider?

regards,
YMMV.

This said, Groundwire + VOIP.MS + Hangouts [for free outgoing calls!] could potentially be the best combination if IF, IF and only IF your Fido data pings and jitter are acceptably low... [Never worked properly for me on Fido data; if you are planning to use it for even occasional business or critical calls - better have the plan B ready...]
Sep 2, 2005
387 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
I'm trying to set this up after purchasing my first $15 / mo Fido plan. I installed TalkaTone. Simple initial tests are pretty impressive; only hitch is I couldn't get a dummy canadian number (trying to enter 416, 647, 705 resulted in no numbers available). TalkaTone's web site does say I should be able to get a local Canadian number. Is there something I need to do to be able to use a Canadian number with TalkaTone?
Feb 21, 2007
64 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
+1
max011 wrote: With Fongo, even open app does not guaranty you will receive the call. Been there, done that, never going back from Groundwire +VOIP.MS combo just to save a few dollars...
Nov 17, 2014
43 posts
24 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Hi,

Sorry to post it here but I'm desperate... :(

I've been using this plan ($15 for 3Gb) since August 2016.

I have used Zoiper and start using Groundwire 3 months ago for better BT connectivity with my car.
Everything worked well until yesterday, when I was not able to make outgoing calls on the mobile data network.
Outgoing calls over a wifi network is fine. Receiving calls on the data network is fine also.

I have try re-booting my phone 5-6 times, uninstalled Groundwire, install Zoiper but still not able to make outgoing calls!!!

Somebody having or got the same issue,

Thanks for your help,

Is Fido somehow blocking such outgoing calls now on its data network? Is there any way to fix this?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2728 posts
1634 upvotes
dandeals wrote: Hi,

Sorry to post it here but I'm desperate... :(

I've been using this plan ($15 for 3Gb) since August 2016.

I have used Zoiper and start using Groundwire 3 months ago for better BT connectivity with my car.
Everything worked well until yesterday, when I was not able to make outgoing calls on the mobile data network.
Outgoing calls over a wifi network is fine. Receiving calls on the data network is fine also.

I have try re-booting my phone 5-6 times, uninstalled Groundwire, install Zoiper but still not able to make outgoing calls!!!

Somebody having or got the same issue,

Thanks for your help,

Is Fido somehow blocking such outgoing calls now on its data network? Is there any way to fix this?
works fine on fongo , textnow, google hangout