• Jun 25th, 2019 10:05 am
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2697 posts
2087 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 8:07 pm
Ping rate is very much location specific for different carriers. Maybe you check out the other networks (Bell/Telus..) . And if it is very inferior you may be better selling the SIM to (somebody in Victoria or up north of GVA) recovering some loss.
I am, like a lot of people in GTA, doing a lot better
Considering that I have 11 more months left at 100% off, after almost a year of 50% off, I'll stick to this until a better data for reasonable price becomes available.. VOIP phone service is not essential to me, and Fido data is still OK for browsing when out there. [That's the only reason I'm keeping this plan. Didn't even take a tablet back than..]

Of course, if someone offers me a nice compensation, why not, I'l sell the plan... :-)
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 9:35 pm
Considering that I have 11 more months left at 100% off, after almost a year of 50% off,
That includes overage too. I would guess at least that is like 6 Gb a month free . That will be tough to sell LOL
You can move to TO or Aberta and you will love its ping rate
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3336 posts
2832 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 7:54 pm
I definately do not use the same app & settings.
Then unfortunately your data point is invalid for the purposes of the other poster.
max011 wrote:
I, however, use the same data network [Fido] and method [VOIP] to make a phone call. There should be no difference here; if something not working it is not up to the cell data itself but to the app and settings. Because if something is blocked, no apps would work. And even if this theoretically could be the case, one should find the app that works.
VOIP is such a massively broad term saying VOIP works for one person is completely meaningless for another. Google Voice is "VOIP", but it's VASTLY different, both in technologies used and stations involved verses using say Skype. With DPI carriers can block in such fine grained ways it's truly astonishing. I was in mainland China last year and was quite impressed (and greatly frustrated) how effective the "great firewall" was at picking up certain subsets of activity from my phone. It allowed a whole much of stuff in certain categories, but (sometimes eventually) blocked others. IP/URL filters, or port filters alone would not have gotten the job done. It was able to allow HTTPS traffic on the same port as disallowed PPTN and SSH traffic on the same port without a hiccup. Other more "complicated" traffic patterns would work for a couple minutes and then get blocked.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3336 posts
2832 upvotes
max011 wrote:
For the record: I realy don't like a quallity of Fido "dirty" data; getting high pings and jitter, and "LTE" speeds are not great either [Downtown Vancouver mostly]. Tested on iPhone, LG V30 and Zenfone 3. Using Groundwire, which makes this somewhat bearable.
Be aware that another factor that can impact what you get is based on your assigned service level.

I had a case where someone I knew was having very poor data performance on a data only plan. They were in a rural area with VERY weak signal (never better then -105dBm, often lower). There were occasions where although they had a signal, they weren't getting any data bandwidth. They asked for my help. What was interesting is one of my phones, on the same carrier, but on a voice+data plan, also read very low on signal (about the same, maybe a little lower) but was reliably getting data bandwidth, not much, but usable, could even stream youtube, poorly.

So, despite the fact that the signal was weak, but supposedly "good enough", I purchased a yagi style antenna. Hooked it up, pointed it at the cell site (the closest one, no other was anywhere close enough for signal) and got about a 15-20dB boost in signal strength. Things looked good, until I realized that the problem remained, at certain parts of the day they had zero data coming down, even with good "bars", while my phone (without a massive antenna attached) was still getting data.

We started to correlate times of poor data bandwidth with times of day and times of the week. What turned out was: everything was fine on weekdays, and usually OK in the early morning on weekends, but was total crap in the evenings on weekends. Weekends with bad weather had better data then weekends with poor weather.

What I haven't mentioned is this: this was cottage/summer house country, and it was summer time. During the week there was literally nobody around. On the weekends, especially with good weather, it was a full house for that cell site.

The data made it clear: the provider was prioritizing clients, voice+data plan people were given higher priority for data then those with data only plans.

This was a pretty extreme case, but it makes sense that the provider would in heavy congestion situations prioritize certain plans over others. I don't know about Vancouver, but I know in Toronto that a data plan only Fido SIM has seen poorer performance then a voice+data plan device, in a stronger signal area, on the same LTE band. I also know that once one of my plans moved from 3G only to LTE enabled on Bellus that the 3G performance dropped, overnight. My 3G only device always had decent data performance. Once I swithed to an LTE plan the LTE performance was FANTASTIC (compared to what I saw on 3G) but the 3G performance was dreadful. Overnight. Same 3G band support. Strong signal strength. Same phone number. Just a new SIM.

In Toronto I find Bellus' network more reliable for consistent data. Rogers is good, but Bellus is better.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2697 posts
2087 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 6:10 am
That includes overage too. I would guess at least that is like 6 Gb a month free . That will be tough to sell LOL
You can move to TO or Aberta and you will love its ping rate
Well, it does include overage, however I didn't pass even 2GB mark more then 1 or 2 times... WiFi everywhere, plus zillion of data GBs on Freedom...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2697 posts
2087 upvotes
Vancouver
repatch wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 9:48 am
Then unfortunately your data point is invalid for the purposes of the other poster.

VOIP is such a massively broad term saying VOIP works for one person is completely meaningless for another. Google Voice is "VOIP", but it's VASTLY different, both in technologies used and stations involved verses using say Skype. With DPI carriers can block in such fine grained ways it's truly astonishing. I was in mainland China last year and was quite impressed (and greatly frustrated) how effective the "great firewall" was at picking up certain subsets of activity from my phone. It allowed a whole much of stuff in certain categories, but (sometimes eventually) blocked others. IP/URL filters, or port filters alone would not have gotten the job done. It was able to allow HTTPS traffic on the same port as disallowed PPTN and SSH traffic on the same port without a hiccup. Other more "complicated" traffic patterns would work for a couple minutes and then get blocked.
While this all is technically and technologically possible, and easy to do, I don't see why would someone in Canada go that far to implement it? Great Wall of Canada??? Naaahhh...

Simpler answer is: if it works on my phone, with my apps it is not blocked. Period. Anyone can use it. [I know quality is not good and it is expected cuz I get a bad readings on ping and jitter on several different phones at the same time and place, so that is real explanation.]

Something is wrong with either hardware or software settings of OP's phone/apps.

Or, as per your conspiracy theories, someone is after OP and finely grained selective censorship on his phone continues...
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3336 posts
2832 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 2:12 pm
While this all is technically and technologically possible, and easy to do, I don't see why would someone in Canada go that far to implement it? Great Wall of Canada??? Naaahhh...
I'm not saying it's to the same extent, not even close, all I'm saying, and this is NOT conspiracy, there is evidence: certain things ARE blocked on mobile carrier connections.

For the most obvious and basic of examples: try connecting to a server over SMTP (port 25). Let me give you a hint: your connection will time out.

Certain VPN configurations also just don't work or are unreliable (usually due to extremely high UDP packet loss rates).

If you want a more extreme example: look up some stories in the US. Stuff like carriers intercepting JPGs in flight and serving lower res versions to your device, without people having known. Or T-Mobile, that was caught forcing streaming sites to serve video at 480p on their unlimited plans since that's "good enough" for a "mobile screen".

There are similar sorts of things going on in Canada (lots of man in the middle was quite common at one time, saw ads being substituted by Bell both on my DSL connection and my data plan around 2009, can't remember exactly when), they just don't make the press as often.

Follow Micheal Geist, he's usually forefront for catching these sorts of sneaking things. Right now the media companies are trying to force a "blacklist" that of course, they will curate, in an effort to stop "illegal" streaming.

Believe it's happening or not, at your own peril.
Aug 16, 2008
462 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
a_dee wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 1:06 pm
Try acrobits, they have a different setup and use push, never missed a call since.
Agree 100%.
Fido $15/3gb less 50% for 24 months x 3
Dec 21, 2012
40 posts
10 upvotes
GVR
I have been on Fido + voip.MS + Acrobits for almost a year... and the past couple days, I’m able to register to voip.ms servers but outgoing and incoming calls are silent on both sides. I am not able to ping voip.ms servers either on Fido’s towers. However, switching to the EXT network allows me to ping and calls work.

Is Fido up to no good? I have tried on data only plans and regular monthly plans with the same results.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2697 posts
2087 upvotes
Vancouver
daniyo27 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:07 am
I have been on Fido + voip.MS + Acrobits for almost a year... and the past couple days, I’m able to register to voip.ms servers but outgoing and incoming calls are silent on both sides. I am not able to ping voip.ms servers either on Fido’s towers. However, switching to the EXT network allows me to ping and calls work.

Is Fido up to no good? I have tried on data only plans and regular monthly plans with the same results.
As I was trying to say above, I also have terrible jitter and pings on Fido data in Vanc most of the time. If it was not free, off it would go... And will in 10 months...
Dec 21, 2012
40 posts
10 upvotes
GVR
max011 wrote: As I was trying to say above, I also have terrible jitter and pings on Fido data in Vanc most of the time. If it was not free, off it would go... And will in 10 months...
I don’t think it has to deal with jitter and pings. It was working a week ago and the past year with the same configuration. Multiple phones/lines don’t just stop working for no reason. Is anyone else also in the same situation?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
daniyo27 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:02 am
I don’t think it has to deal with jitter and pings. It was working a week ago and the past year with the same configuration. Multiple phones/lines don’t just stop working for no reason. Is anyone else also in the same situation?
Signals unfortunately is very location specific indeed. User has to find the best one available for area he is in
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Oct 5, 2004
934 posts
764 upvotes
Vancouver
daniyo27 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:02 am
I checked pings for my Vancouver endpoints and had min max of 30/44. Working ok for me, same config as you.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
1612 posts
171 upvotes
daniyo27 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:07 am

I am experiencing the same issues. :(
Oct 5, 2004
934 posts
764 upvotes
Vancouver
TheHutt wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 4:35 pm
I am experiencing the same issues. :(
How about WiFi?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)