How about WiFi?
Wifi works. Fido data does not.
Dec 4, 2017
361 posts
123 upvotes
TheHutt wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 4:35 pm
I am experiencing the same issues. :(
One must wonder if they are working on blocking VoIP in advance of the CRTC pushing them harder for cheap data-only accounts becoming more widespread.
Dec 21, 2012
40 posts
10 upvotes
GVR
TheHutt wrote: I am experiencing the same issues. :(
Good to hear that I’m not the only one! I have been researching this problem for quite a while... the SIP Logs in Acrobits show that RTP ports keep being destroyed... on the other hand... Zoiper works for some reason but they have a terrible app and no CallKit support.
Dec 4, 2017
361 posts
123 upvotes
daniyo27 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 6:01 pm
Good to hear that I’m not the only one! I have been researching this problem for quite a while... the SIP Logs in Acrobits show that RTP ports keep being destroyed... on the other hand... Zoiper works for some reason but they have a terrible app and no CallKit support.
If you have a log handy, you can file a ticket with Acrobits. They are pretty responsive and can probably tell whether it's a networking issue that they can help solve, or give objective evidence of traffic tampering.
Dec 21, 2012
40 posts
10 upvotes
GVR
TheHutt wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:59 pm
Wifi works. Fido data does not.
IanBrantford wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 11:03 am
If you have a log handy, you can file a ticket with Acrobits. They are pretty responsive and can probably tell whether it's a networking issue that they can help solve, or give objective evidence of traffic tampering.

After a hour of calls and dozens of transfers to multiple reps, I finally got in touch with a Rogers Headquarters Tier 3 Technical Support agent and they have finally told me that they made a switch last week to default to IPv6 addresses. voip.MS does not support IPv6 over SIP. It seems that IPv4 VPN's are also affected.

I have now fixed the problem by generating a profile that forces my iPhone to only use IPv4. Since this profile is not signed, I will not distribute unless people cannot generate this for themselves. I do not know if sharing is any files is against any rules.

--
Acrobits help desk is no help. They have never replied me back despite emailing and using the help desk.
Dec 4, 2017
361 posts
123 upvotes
daniyo27 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 5:13 pm
After a hour of calls and dozens of transfers to multiple reps, I finally got in touch with a Rogers Headquarters Tier 3 Technical Support agent and they have finally told me that they made a switch last week to default to IPv6 addresses. voip.MS does not support IPv6 over SIP. It seems that IPv4 VPN's are also affected.
That is not what I expected to hear, but a fixable glitch with a technological upgrade is better than a policy change. Thanks for pursuing the problem and sharing the explanation.
I have now fixed the problem by generating a profile that forces my iPhone to only use IPv4. Since this profile is not signed, I will not distribute unless people cannot generate this for themselves. I do not know if sharing is any files is against any rules.
I don't know what kind of profile this would be, nor even where to start with generating it.
Acrobits help desk is no help. They have never replied me back despite emailing and using the help desk.
Possibly I get responses due to being a paid customer. Anyway, if there is a new thing happening at Rogers that voip.ms cannot yet handle, possibly other clients like Zoiper would also be affected. I.e. voip.ms needs to make a change. Is this correct?
Dec 21, 2012
40 posts
10 upvotes
GVR
IanBrantford wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 5:56 pm
That is not what I expected to hear, but a fixable glitch with a technological upgrade is better than a policy change. Thanks for pursuing the problem and sharing the explanation.

I don't know what kind of profile this would be, nor even where to start with generating it.

Possibly I get responses due to being a paid customer. Anyway, if there is a new thing happening at Rogers that voip.ms cannot yet handle, possibly other clients like Zoiper would also be affected. I.e. voip.ms needs to make a change. Is this correct?
It's not a glitch. Rogers has implemented this as they claim it due to "speed" enhancements.

In a sense, yes, Voip.ms needs to make a change to support IPv6, but majority of the people are still using IPv4! Rogers needs to make a fallback solution to not force it only to work on IPv6 on iPhones! They should set iPhone to default to IPv4 addresses.

I'd be happy to send you a PM with the configuration file if you'd like. Send the file as email to yourself then open the attachment on your iPhone. I haven't tested with Rogers, but Fido does work. If all goes bad, just remove the profile from your phone.
Dec 4, 2017
361 posts
123 upvotes
daniyo27 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 6:07 pm
It's not a glitch. Rogers has implemented this as they claim it due to "speed" enhancements.
I meant that the introduction of a change has brought about failures in some cases. It doesn't matter whether it was intentional. This type of glitch would best be called a "misfeature", now that we know the change to be intentional.
In a sense, yes, Voip.ms needs to make a change to support IPv6, but majority of the people are still using IPv4!
Virtually all major service providers have supported IPv6 for years. It's just gone mostly unused. voip.ms should move to support it ASAP, regardless of Rogers' change or potential fix. Now I wonder what happens if voip.ms is accessed by a subscriber while travelling, from a newer system that only offers IPv6 to new users.
Rogers needs to make a fallback solution to not force it only to work on IPv6 on iPhones! They should set iPhone to default to IPv4 addresses.
No need to limit it to iPhones, though this does raise the question of whether non-Apple devices are also affected.
I'd be happy to send you a PM with the configuration file if you'd like. Send the file as email to yourself then open the attachment on your iPhone. I haven't tested with Rogers, but Fido does work. If all goes bad, just remove the profile from your phone.
Thank you, but I'm not using voip.ms from an Apple product yet. I have one sitting right here, but all devices used with VoIP by me or people I help are on Android so far. Hopefully Rogers will amend the current change before I need to do anything.

Where does this profile come from? I'm sure that many would be reluctant to install a mysterious binary file.
Dec 21, 2012
40 posts
10 upvotes
GVR
IanBrantford wrote: I meant that the introduction of a change has brought about failures in some cases. It doesn't matter whether it was intentional. This type of glitch would best be called a "misfeature", now that we know the change to be intentional.

Virtually all major service providers have supported IPv6 for years. It's just gone mostly unused. voip.ms should move to support it ASAP, regardless of Rogers' change or potential fix. Now I wonder what happens if voip.ms is accessed by a subscriber while travelling, from a newer system that only offers IPv6 to new users.

No need to limit it to iPhones, though this does raise the question of whether non-Apple devices are also affected.

Thank you, but I'm not using voip.ms from an Apple product yet. I have one sitting right here, but all devices used with VoIP by me or people I help are on Android so far. Hopefully Rogers will amend the current change before I need to do anything.

Where does this profile come from? I'm sure that many would be reluctant to install a mysterious binary file.
As it’s much more easier to configure on android to specifically limit to IPv4, that’s why they should limit to iPhones.

The profile was made by me with a Mac just while I was on the phone call and was made aware of this IPv6 and IPv4 fiasco. Which is also the reason why I suggest people make their own instead of using mine.
Jun 20, 2017
4 posts
3 upvotes
I use fido data plan and voip.ms
I have problem with voip.ms because iphone's ipv6 only.
I Change the iphone6s's APN to ipv4 by profile made by @daniyo27 .
That works great and voip.ms work normal now!

thanks daniyo27 Thumbs Up SignThumbs Up SignThumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign
Jun 17, 2013
193 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
I am using Fongo as well since it started as Dell Voice.
I like free voicemail to email feature.
It has improved a lot.
Only thing is that I dont get verification codes from Amazon etc
--Bell 1 gb Fibe Internet + TV + Home Phone $75 + tax
--- 2 Fido 3 gb data plan $0 for 12 months Using with Fongo App
Dec 21, 2004
678 posts
90 upvotes
nanubains wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 4:34 pm
Only thing is that I dont get verification codes from Amazon etc
You're probably aware but the fongo text service is relatively cheap. I've used it and it works reasonably well.
Jun 17, 2013
193 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
trader37 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 4:59 pm
You're probably aware but the fongo text service is relatively cheap. I've used it and it works reasonably well.
Yes I am using it
I meant the text messages from banks,Amanzon PayPal etc

I think it's called short message service.
--Bell 1 gb Fibe Internet + TV + Home Phone $75 + tax
--- 2 Fido 3 gb data plan $0 for 12 months Using with Fongo App

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)