Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 10:42 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19652 posts
12750 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote: That would create a loophole that can easily be abused by the carrier (since the losing carrier would still have the upper hand on the transfer to the winning carrier and all kind of tricks can be played as they "wait to validate said account holder confirmation"), anyone familiar with moving cable modems between ISP would know.

I don't think it's that straight forward to solve, CRTC needs to smarten up about it, perhaps give clients the option to forfeit their rights of "instant-porting" (as a second layer of protection over PINs), heavily penalize carriers releasing numbers with mismatching or partially matching information or perhaps create a third party entity to validate the port requests (client-initiated) before it's passed forward to the losing carrier.
No argument with any of that. The point remains that the current CRTC rule is what's facilitating these SIM hijackings. Separating the administration of phone numbers from the carriers, sort of like we do with domain names, seems like the best solution. We've come a long way from the days when the only telco (in ON and QC) was bHell and they owned all the numbers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
How do you set up port-out pin with a regular cellphone provider?
E.g. Koodoo does not have anything like that on self-serve...

And if you do set it up, what's the drill then when u port out?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1233 posts
1342 upvotes
Tichi wrote: How do you set up port-out pin with a regular cellphone provider?
E.g. Koodoo does not have anything like that on self-serve...

And if you do set it up, what's the drill then when u port out?
Always depends on which provider you are porting to. Bell prepaid for example, has web interface for you to do porting and are all basically automated. So you need to be specific.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: Always depends on which provider you are porting to. Bell prepaid for example, has web interface for you to do porting and are all basically automated. So you need to be specific.
Yeah, I know they are automated.. But the info they ask is different for each company and
includes such weird numbers as IMEI.... (though only 2 items are obligatory...)
So even if u set up PIN, which is not obligatory for a port out, whats the point?
Dec 26, 2010
414 posts
90 upvotes
SW Ontario
I was about to move from Fongo to voip.ms just because I thought a voip.ms (paid) would have better protection against SIM hijacking than Fongo (free)
It doesn't look like voip.ms provides any way to prevent or quickly react in the case of SIM hijacking.
Fongo (at least according to their support) tell you about the request been received and it takes a few days to process it. In this situation, if my SIM has been hijacked, I assume at least I can visit all key accounts and remove the hijacked phone before the port completes and while I try to recover my number.
I am disappointed about voip.ms on this front (I already funded my account, purchased a # for testing and purchased the groundwire app). I wont be moving my account for this reason

Has anybody ported out from fongo and can confirm the process / experience?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4206 posts
5394 upvotes
Vancouver
garce wrote: I was about to move from Fongo to voip.ms just because I thought a voip.ms (paid) would have better protection against SIM hijacking than Fongo (free)
It doesn't look like voip.ms provides any way to prevent or quickly react in the case of SIM hijacking.
Fongo (at least according to their support) tell you about the request been received and it takes a few days to process it. In this situation, if my SIM has been hijacked, I assume at least I can visit all key accounts and remove the hijacked phone before the port completes and while I try to recover my number.
I am disappointed about voip.ms on this front (I already funded my account, purchased a # for testing and purchased the groundwire app). I wont be moving my account for this reason

Has anybody ported out from fongo and can confirm the process / experience?
Did you complain to VOIP? [I did after PIN made no difference [see above] and - maybe - if more of us cry they may take note.]

Edit: Could be also done tru the Feature request on the Support page...

Also, they will refund your money if you ask. Or - if you need any oversee long distance - their rate are fantastic so you should use it... [Pro tip: Make sure you compare rates - their Value rate could be more expensive then their Premium rate for some destinations!]
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
May 7, 2012
936 posts
410 upvotes
max011 wrote: Did you complain to VOIP? [I did after PIN made no difference [see above] and - maybe - if more of us cry they may take note.]

Also, they will refund your money if you ask. Or - if you need any oversee long distance - their rate are fantastic so you should use it... [Pro tip: Make sure you compare rates - their Value rate could be more expensive then their Premium rate for some destinations!]
There are cheaper providers but I find the Euro line quality worth it. Also there are times I need to forward US numbers to Cdn. Very easy and convenient. Worth keeping a small balance at least to access the service.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4206 posts
5394 upvotes
Vancouver
gameon12 wrote: There are cheaper providers but I find the Euro line quality worth it. Also there are times I need to forward US numbers to Cdn. Very easy and convenient. Worth keeping a small balance at least to access the service.
Care to list some? I'd like to compare prices for a few destinations I use...
May 7, 2012
936 posts
410 upvotes
max011 wrote: Care to list some? I'd like to compare prices for a few destinations I use...
Indeed variation depending on destination. We've used Rebtel (local numbers make it easy for elderly on landlines), anveodirect, and even the calling cards like CiCiEuro.
Dec 26, 2010
414 posts
90 upvotes
SW Ontario
max011 wrote: Did you complain to VOIP? [I did after PIN made no difference [see above] and - maybe - if more of us cry they may take note.]

I already complained to voip.ms
For oversees I use freevoipdeal (or any other cheap betamax provider http://www.voip-comparison.com/). But most people I call have whats up so rarely use and dont remember when was the last time I put any money on it. They have their own app but can also be put other sip client. I purchased the groundwire app that allows you to select voip provider based on rules (so the app automatically dials out with best provider). So really dont particularly care about voip.ms longdistance
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4206 posts
5394 upvotes
Vancouver
garce wrote: I already complained to voip.ms
For oversees I use freevoipdeal (or any other cheap betamax provider http://www.voip-comparison.com/). But most people I call have whats up so rarely use and dont remember when was the last time I put any money on it. They have their own app but can also be put other sip client. I purchased the groundwire app that allows you to select voip provider based on rules (so the app automatically dials out with best provider). So really dont particularly care about voip.ms longdistance
Yes, Groundwire is THE best, for sure..

Didn't see this "http://www.voip-comparison.com" site before, thanks. VOIP.MS is not there, but I'm happy to confirm that it does bit everyone's prices for calling landline and most of the mobile phone rates for destinations we [have to] call sometimes...
Apr 23, 2009
248 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
Hi, I plan on using the Fido data plan with voip.ms & GV #. I’m in a process of porting a Fido Cdn # to voip.ms. Is it possible to use the voip.ms call forwarding to GV #? I am already calling out using GV app on android phone, but some people don’t want to make a LD call to my US GV #. I thought this way my Canadian friends can call the voip.ms Cdn #, but I can still receive those calls in GV app as well. Is this possible or best way to use both GV and voip.ms, using the Fido data plan? I am hoping that I don’t have to install a third telephone app (in addition to the native dialer app and GV app). Also wondering app conflict issues, e.g. what happens if I receive 2 calls at the same time (1 to GV #, 1 to voip.ms #).

How is the call quality between GV app and other apps that other voip.ms users are using? Is it worth having the third softphone app?

Also is it possible to block all data usage on my smart phone except for 1 or 2 phone apps most of the time (so that I can answer calls), then turn on data for other things as needed? I’ve read some articles on how to control data usage, but I have not been able to find what I am looking for.

BTW I also have a FPL # (not a Fongo #), which I only use for vm & to receive fax.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2045 posts
905 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Aside from VOIP.ms, which of these providers offer robust call blocking features?
I can block all unknown numbers and non-contact list numbers now with my phone OS, so I am looking for something similar.
Dec 27, 2007
20150 posts
11285 upvotes
Kitchener
aasoror wrote: Another data point: paypal verification fails on paid Fongo lines.
A surprising change today, Paypal SMS verification works (once paid, currently not Fongo line).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19652 posts
12750 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote: A surprising change today, Paypal SMS verification works (once paid, currently not Fongo line).
I just posted this in another thread, "Very unreliable in my experience. Incoming SMS to Fongo can take anywhere from seconds to minutes to hours to never. I've been using Fongo for many years. I simply can't rely on them for 2FA SMS."

I'm hopeful but not optimistic that they've finally "fixed" this issue.
veni, vidi, Visa