ON only: Fido unlimited cable internet 60 Mbps $60/month for one year

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2017 5:18 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1033 posts
318 upvotes
Kitchener
May I ask you why did you put quotes around modems?

I'm with vMedia but started thinking about 100u from Rogers, since it's 65 (or even 60 in store). It's almost the same as I pay for my 30Mbps. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
heyyahblah wrote: ...don't forget that Rogers offers 100u for that price on "its network" with their "special modems"...
Слава Україні!
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2783 posts
1947 upvotes
GTA
theganguly wrote:
wouwou wrote:
deelogic wrote: If you go into the Rogers Store its $60 with no contract.
Rogers caps your BT download speed, by a lot.
No they don't. They stopped it years ago.
Oh yes they do. I am on Rogers gigabit and it tops out around 10mbps. I was getting much faster speeds on my previous Bell 25/10 plan.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1595 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP!
got the deal w/ no installation fee, since rogers doesn't have anything for loyalty customer, and wanting to charge me $77 for 60down 200GB + basic homephone!
Dec 20, 2007
66 posts
53 upvotes
Kitchener
Anyone who's an existing subscriber had any luck getting switched to this?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1664 posts
850 upvotes
I went with this went it first came out, took the max package, I just ran speedtest and got 3.5 down and 35 up, seems decent to me
Cool Beans
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2232 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA
Zhopa wrote: May I ask you why did you put quotes around modems?

I'm with vMedia but started thinking about 100u from Rogers, since it's 65 (or even 60 in store). It's almost the same as I pay for my 30Mbps. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
In regards to the modem, going though Rogers vs Fido, Rogers are just going to give you what they consider a "higher end combo-modem" (even though Combo Modem's are crap). Which basically means it will have more channel bonding (probably 32x8) and a stronger wifi network output card (slightly better wifi range) and 5GHz freq on the wifi box. I personally prefer to use a separate standalone router as they are much better and use the modem in bridged mode.

The FIDO modem is most likely a cheaper 24x4 channel modem with a weak wireless N wifi card inside of it, seeing as they don't need a higher end modem for line bonding (speed during peak times) since they are only offering 30M and 60M tiers. It save's Rogers money by doing this, and they are still getting your money at the end of the day because its 100% return to Rogers via Fido because you are using Rogers infrastructure and not a 3rd party provider paying to share Rogers network.

The Rogers 100u is a 2-year deal, after that they can jack up the prices, were as if you take the smaller speed cut from Fido (30 or 60) you can bargain down your price again in a year or 2. Effectively still paying $60-65 a month for either 30M or 60M unlimited (depending what FIDO loyalty gives you) and Rogers likes this because at the end of the day they (Rogers) still get 100% of your business and all the revenue goes to them, and not a 3rd party provider like Teksavvy, Start.ca, Acanac, etc. That's how they crush the little guys.

It's a smart marketing tactic, because consumers are inclined to think (Hey, screw Rogers I'm not giving my money to them, I'm going to give it to FIDO instead), meanwhile they don't realize that they are giving the revenue back to Rogers, and you will get supposedly better "tech support" and Rogers is more willing and faster to send out a tech to resolve your problem on FIDO internet then say if you were with a 3rd party using their network. Rogers hates sending out their cable guys to fix your Teksavvy, Start, or Acanac internet issues.

Reason I know a little bit is because my GF got a call from a rep on Friday first trying to up sell an iphone 7 because she's an iphone user and has been constantly upgrading her devices with them since i4 (don't ask me why, i could care less, I don't use apple) about this, and since she's a Fido customer and then he offered this internet package plus 10% loyalty discount (internal I guess) making it 49.50 + tax for one year, and he said after the year is up call back and get a better deal with loyalty department and activation and installation was free. Where he messed up was, when he said if you don't have a cable outlet inside your residence he will send over a Rogers tech to install one for $50. That's when I asked him why Rogers and he spilled the beans. So I got informed.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3294 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
So just thinking i could try this out for a month and then cancel it... As theres no cancellation fee's

Wouldnt need to buy a modem/ pay for activation or anything like that
Hello
Dec 20, 2007
66 posts
53 upvotes
Kitchener
Apparently you can't do any internet support through the Fido online chat support. But the guy gave me a number to call in.

Just got off the phone with them again after getting disconnected earlier. They seem pretty stuck that this is new accounts only and want me to go to the store to essentially return my modem and close my account and immediately re-open another one with a new modem to get the deal. A little disapointed. I haven't decided if it's worth going through the hassle yet or not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8718 posts
2583 upvotes
Toronto
heyyahblah wrote:
Zhopa wrote: May I ask you why did you put quotes around modems?

Thanks!
... Where he messed up was, when he said if you don't have a cable outlet inside your residence he will send over a Rogers tech to install one for $50. That's when I asked him why Rogers and he spilled the beans. So I got informed.
Fido was acquired by Rogers in 2004! So I think it's a bit unfair to suggest he "messed up".
Aug 16, 2010
505 posts
152 upvotes
Anyone know if there was a promotion on the 30/5 connection? I missed out on the rogers student bundle.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18712 posts
5655 upvotes
Toronto
CrazyCanuck90 wrote: If they're anything like me, I'll never give Rogers a penny. I haven't yet in my life and I don't plan on it. Awful company.
Rogers Fido Chatr and Mobilicity are ALL Rogers.

It amazes me the number of people clueless to what Rogers owns.
Rogers is also an amazing company.
I have no complaints. They're treating me pretty good.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1416 posts
1123 upvotes
Britex wrote:
theganguly wrote:
wouwou wrote:

Oh yes they do. I am on Rogers gigabit and it tops out around 10mbps. I was getting much faster speeds on my previous Bell 25/10 plan.
Might be your connection then. Contact them. I get 130 Mbps on torrents as well. I am on 100u plan.
Dec 20, 2007
66 posts
53 upvotes
Kitchener
MAR-TYR-DOM wrote: Anyone know if there was a promotion on the 30/5 connection? I missed out on the rogers student bundle.

The student bundle is still on, ends on the 30th. I'm in the process of signing up for it right now on online chat. I decided if I'm going to go through the whole cancel and renew thing I was going to save some money and get a legitimate speed boost (was currently paying $65/mth for Fido 30/5 unlimited)

Called Fido to re-confirm that there's nothing they can do without me going to the store to exchange my modem and close / open an account. This guy was very apologetic and said he knows its a pain but there's nothing he could do.

Oh well, onward and upward. Truth be told I've had Fido internet for a couple months now and the modem has been a bit sketchy at times so don't mid ditching it anways. Was just trying to avoid the hassle.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2232 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA
If the modem is a little sketchy, see if there is a way you can disable the wifi on it and run it in a bridged mode and hook up an external router to it and let that do the talking. Might improve your connection significantly. I hate AIO modems with a passion.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
49 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
Lobloco wrote: If we all decide to support the Rogers /Bells we will find ourselves paying higher prices as the independents disappear.

I'm glad I didn't sell out as my memory serves me well dealing with both Robbers and Bhell.
You're probably right. And this is one factor I considered when making my decision to switch to Fido. I was on DSL with the National Capital Freenet before I went to TekSavvy cable. If the NCF were to offer cable, I would give it serious consideration. The NCF and other Freenets (if they still exist in other cities) are worthwhile organizations to support.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1048 posts
367 upvotes
Oakville
Rebo wrote:
Lobloco wrote: If we all decide to support the Rogers /Bells we will find ourselves paying higher prices as the independents disappear.

I'm glad I didn't sell out as my memory serves me well dealing with both Robbers and Bhell.
You're probably right. And this is one factor I considered when making my decision to switch to Fido. I was on DSL with the National Capital Freenet before I went to TekSavvy cable. If the NCF were to offer cable, I would give it serious consideration. The NCF and other Freenets (if they still exist in other cities) are worthwhile organizations to support.
Fido = Rogers.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
49 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
Lobloco wrote: Fido = Rogers.
Yes, I know. What I'm saying is that I considered the fact that switching to Fido/Rogers likely puts another small nail in the coffin of the independent providers. But weighing my priorities, I chose to do it.
Sep 27, 2008
913 posts
729 upvotes
Britex wrote:
theganguly wrote:
wouwou wrote:

Stop misinforming people. Rogers/Fido does not throttle torrents. Just because you have gigabit doesn't mean that you'll be pulling your torrents at full speed. It all depends on who and how many people are seeding to you. If you're capping out at 10 mbps you have another problem not Rogers. Do a few Google searches and you'll see Rogers stopped throttling sometime in 2012 (4 years ago).
Dec 21, 2011
302 posts
191 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
rstudum wrote: Anyone who's an existing subscriber had any luck getting switched to this?
Yes I did today. Had Fido internet for about 4 months already with cell phone as well. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Dec 3, 2005
851 posts
992 upvotes
S
I just called fido, and the rep said i must bring my cellphone or home phone to fido to be eligible for this plan :S

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)