Cell Phones

Fido plan and upgrade options

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2016 9:18 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2016
2 posts

Fido plan and upgrade options

My contract with Fido ran out about 6 months ago and every time I call to inquire about upgrading (I still have the iPhone 5) they tell me I'm going to have to change my plan if I want the cheaper fee for the 6/6s. I still have the 6gb for $30 data plan which I've had for the last 6 years or so, plus the cheapest voice plan. I pay about $70 per month +tax. I've also been with Fido for 12 years.
I saw they'd dropped the price on the 6, with 64 gb to $130, so I called and after a while on the phone with an agent they offered 10gb data and minimum voice for $80 a month and the 6s 64gb for $350 (after discounts and my Fido dollars). So I'm wondering if this is a good deal? I don't really need 10gb, and I'm wondering if it's crazy to give up the 6gb/30$ plan that I have? Seems like they're never going to give me a break on the cost of the phone without upgrading my plan. Thanks in advance for opinions!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7768 posts
1486 upvotes
What voice plan at the time was $40/month?!?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
Sig2727 wrote: My contract with Fido ran out about 6 months ago and every time I call to inquire about upgrading (I still have the iPhone 5) they tell me I'm going to have to change my plan if I want the cheaper fee for the 6/6s. I still have the 6gb for $30 data plan which I've had for the last 6 years or so, plus the cheapest voice plan. I pay about $70 per month +tax. I've also been with Fido for 12 years.
I saw they'd dropped the price on the 6, with 64 gb to $130, so I called and after a while on the phone with an agent they offered 10gb data and minimum voice for $80 a month and the 6s 64gb for $350 (after discounts and my Fido dollars). So I'm wondering if this is a good deal? I don't really need 10gb, and I'm wondering if it's crazy to give up the 6gb/30$ plan that I have? Seems like they're never going to give me a break on the cost of the phone without upgrading my plan. Thanks in advance for opinions!
With basic math you can answer your own question. Let me rephrase it for you:
Is 350+24*80 bigger than, equal to or less than 770+24*48
that's assuming you can live with a (refurb, but as widely known same as new for Apple) iPhone 6S Plus 64GB and 5GB MB/SK plan.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18178 posts
8039 upvotes
Oakville
You will never get a subsidized phone and keep your plan. Period. Rogers has setup their system in such a way that they can't do a HUP with those old grandfathered plans. An extra $10 a month forever will eventually offset the cost of a new phone, and them you're just paying more. But at least they're offering you something for that extra money - that 10gb plan is a pretty good price by today's standards.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Sep 5, 2016
2 posts
@elwebmaster - thanks for your reply. I'd be fine with a furnished phone. Fido doesn't offer them though. What is the "5GB MB/SK plan" you mentioned?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
Sig2727 wrote: @elwebmaster - thanks for your reply. I'd be fine with a furnished phone. Fido doesn't offer them though. What is the "5GB MB/SK plan" you mentioned?
The refurbished phone I included in the calculation is available on the Walmart.com (US) website. I used Google conversion for the exchange rate, so you may pay a bit more (depending if you have no-fees foreign exchange conversion credit card). Phone is locked to AT&T but can be unlocked for free as soon as you purchase it (by submitting a form on the AT&T website).

5GB MB/SK plan is a standard plan available from Koodo (and I think other providers too) if you choose a Manitoba or Saskatchewan area code when signing up. You can then port your current number to it. Search here on RFD or howardforums for more information.