• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 8:23 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
722 posts
522 upvotes
Ontario

Fido Promo for Freedom Mobile $20 Unlimited Talk & Text

Fido has a promo targeting Freedom Mobile customers, seeking to switch the latter over to the Rogers network.
Credit to iphoneincanada
Fido Promo for Freedom Mobile Customers: $20 Unlimited Talk and Text Plan

According to documents seen by iPhone in Canada, Fido is offering $15 off per month on the company’s $35 unlimited talk and text plan, taking it down to $20 per month, savings of 43% off. This “competitive response” is available for new customers porting in from Shaw Mobile or Freedom Mobile.

Fido says the talk and text plan is available for bring your own device (BYOD) and financing. The discount on the talk and text plan will remain until customers change plans.

Currently, in B.C. and Alberta, Shaw Mobile offers up to six free talk and text lines for Shaw Internet customers. It’ll be tough for Fido to compete with this but this discount looks to target those unaware of the free Shaw Mobile offering for internet customers.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1709 posts
1287 upvotes
Mississauga
For $3 more just sign up with PM and get 1GB of data as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1315 posts
282 upvotes
dgr81 wrote: For $3 more just sign up with PM and get 1GB of data as well.
Yup my parents are on this plan and it's great.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17308 posts
6185 upvotes
dgr81 wrote: For $3 more just sign up with PM and get 1GB of data as well.
And its available to everyone, not just shell shocked freedom customers.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
May 24, 2017
648 posts
434 upvotes
GTA
Koodo also offered this deal when i was at their store last week. Actually they would give it if coming from any non Telus brand.

Its not advertised so you need to go in and ask.
Nov 24, 2013
20 posts
24 upvotes
Uh.... Fido's gonna have to do better. You can get unlimited talk & text with FM (on nationwide network, so, not limited to Freedom zones) for $14/mo on prepaid. Or, $19 for talk, text & 1.5 GB of (nationwide) data
May 24, 2017
648 posts
434 upvotes
GTA
dueydotnet wrote: Uh.... Fido's gonna have to do better. You can get unlimited talk & text with FM (on nationwide network, so, not limited to Freedom zones) for $14/mo on prepaid. Or, $19 for talk, text & 1.5 GB of (nationwide) data
Thats only if you are in a freedom zone to start with. If you use their nation wide more than freedom zone, then they could cut you off.
Nov 24, 2018
322 posts
203 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
agit wrote: Fido has a promo targeting Freedom Mobile customers, seeking to switch the latter over to the Rogers network.
Credit to iphoneincanada
Fido Promo for Freedom Mobile Customers: $20 Unlimited Talk and Text Plan

According to documents seen by iPhone in Canada, Fido is offering $15 off per month on the company’s $35 unlimited talk and text plan, taking it down to $20 per month, savings of 43% off. This “competitive response” is available for new customers porting in from Shaw Mobile or Freedom Mobile.

Fido says the talk and text plan is available for bring your own device (BYOD) and financing. The discount on the talk and text plan will remain until customers change plans.

Currently, in B.C. and Alberta, Shaw Mobile offers up to six free talk and text lines for Shaw Internet customers. It’ll be tough for Fido to compete with this but this discount looks to target those unaware of the free Shaw Mobile offering for internet customers.
Why bother? Freedom has a 99$ yearly. unlimited calls and text.
Do the math?
99$ / 12month = 8.25$ per month.
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Oct 23, 2013
128 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Agree with the rest of the comments about Public Mobile, we've been happy campers on the $25 for talk/text/1GB data (plan $19 after $2 autopay discount and $4 loyalty discount). As a bonus, from time to time you can buy top up vouchers at 10-15% off.
Nov 24, 2013
20 posts
24 upvotes
Paulie1RFD wrote: Thats only if you are in a freedom zone to start with. If you use their nation wide more than freedom zone, then they could cut you off.
From the text of the OP, it is clear that Fido is targeting this to existing FM customers. My point was that the Fido offering wasn't a good deal since you can get better from FM.

But, sure, if a customer is getting shitty (or non-existent) service from Freedom zones, "Nationwide" is not going to help them.
Nov 13, 2010
88 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
These cell phone companies need to get it through their heads that a huge proportion of people don't want 20GB of data, they want a CHEAP plan. I've gone to Freedom because it's cheap (99/yr talk and text) (plus the AT&T deal). I don't care if it doesn't work in my basement. I *might* got to Public mobile next time around so it works in my basement, but I'm still not sure.

Why on earth would you pay $20/month for just talk and text?

I paid the equivalent of $16 Canadian for 6GB and unlimited talk and text in the UK last year when I went (for a month). It's getting absurd. You can get $35 80GB and unlimited talk and text. Australia is about the same (probably $40 there), so don't complain to me about the size of the country.
Sep 9, 2007
128 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
I switched to FM prepaid last week for $19 with 1.5 gb data.
I was going to get 11GB data.
However, I realized that the network is good, call quality is excellent better than my Chatr network.
I am going to stick with Freedom for few months at least as I will be Working from home.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17308 posts
6185 upvotes
atsak wrote: These cell phone companies need to get it through their heads that a huge proportion of people don't want 20GB of data, they want a CHEAP plan. I've gone to Freedom because it's cheap (99/yr talk and text) (plus the AT&T deal). I don't care if it doesn't work in my basement. I *might* got to Public mobile next time around so it works in my basement, but I'm still not sure.

Why on earth would you pay $20/month for just talk and text?
Because Freedom doesn't work reliably if your on a loaded tower. I spent far too long fighting this until i switched.
If you are on a good tower then it works fine.
Nov 13, 2010
88 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: Because Freedom doesn't work reliably if your on a loaded tower. I spent far too long fighting this until i switched.
If you are on a good tower then it works fine.
Sure, OK fair enough but then use Public mobile for just a few more dollars (or Lucky). Why pay a lot more for Fido?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17308 posts
6185 upvotes
atsak wrote: Sure, OK fair enough but then use Public mobile for just a few more dollars (or Lucky). Why pay a lot more for Fido?
Public Mobile for $23 with 1GB data is what was mentioned.