Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Fido - Retention Plans

Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2010
1147 posts
693 upvotes
sindh1963 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2011 8:39 pm
I'm just wondering if you need a data plan for LG gossip pro and Samsung galaxy Q.
AFAIK, if it's listed on Fido's website with the discount pricing on a 2Y term (as is the case for these two phones), then no; if the details for a discounted handset require a 3Y term, then yes -data on contract is required. I suggest you call 611 and ask for an agent to verify...
guessboi wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 12:41 am
Could I call retention if I left Fido back in Jul for Mobilicity?
I still have my account number with Fido.... I just can't stand the poor reception from Mobilicity. Planning to go back to Fido..been with Fido for over 7 years prior,
I am willing to sign a 6G - $30 data plan if Fido is willing to give me back my old phone plan. :(
My previous plan is
- 200 mins 17.5
- unlimited eve and weekends starting at 5 pm 7 (-7)
- unlimited incoming 10 (-5)
$10 VP (VM, CID, 2500 CDN SMS) 10 (-10)
Total before data = $22.5
-Not sure, but I think once you port out your plan is gone...
-Some of those options you had are no longer offered (the $10VP with 2500sms VM & CID), plus current rules require the $30 6GB data plan on agreement requiring a voice plan of $25 or more... so not looking too promising.
-Regardless, call and ask! ...you have nothing to lose (and perhaps everything to gain)
souledge wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 12:51 pm
Currently thinking of chipping away at my plan some more, thinking of calling and asking for either some LD minutes or F2F/R for free. Which one should I ask for so I don't look too greedy? I would prefer the LD minutes.
I currently have
$30 Retail Plan
$30 6 GB Data
$10 iPhone VP
-$10 Monthly Discounts
-IMO, asking for something just for the sake of asking for it, DOES come off as looking greedy...
-If you can demonstrate a need for a feature (i.e. you are actually using some LD, or are consistently coming close to using all your daytime minutes) an agent is much more likely to assist you, as best they can. Given this, I would say you would more likely be able to get the F2F/R added for no additional cost, as that feature has a feature credit; where as the LD features do not have feature credits.

-Alternately, I'd suggest you look into VOIP apps/services for your smartphone for use as outgoing anytime local and/or LD minutes. (GoogleVoice can be free if you can figure out how to set it up for Canada; Skype is $3/mo for unlimited USA & Canada calling, or less than $0.03/min PayPerUse)
mcbain27 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 1:28 pm
i will try to use a hard stance with fido as mobilicity brought back the $25 unlimited plan.
http://mobilicity.ca/25-plan-data/
-Bad plan (IMO)
-Fido is NOT competing directly with Wind or Mobi... trying to get an agent to directly match their offers will very likely shift an agent from actually trying to retain you, to simply explaining your cancellation penalties (& wanting to end the call ASAP)
TUTORIALS ON FIDO's RETENTION PLANS: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-ret ... st10978753 & NEGOTIATION STRATEGIES: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/10969156-post7288/
My Fido Plan: 250day/1000E+W@5/unlimited incoming; CID, VM, 2500SMS; 35min.LD; flex data <100MB
Aug 27, 2008
191 posts
31 upvotes
thirstyears wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 3:03 pm
-Bad plan (IMO)
-Fido is NOT competing directly with Wind or Mobi... trying to get an agent to directly match their offers will very likely shift an agent from actually trying to retain you, to simply explaining your cancellation penalties (& wanting to end the call ASAP)

why is that? I'm thinking of switching to Mobi... is the service poor? I would like to get the unlimited $25 plan with Mobi but my contract with fido doesn't end until May 2012... any suggestions on what I should do?
Jun 7, 2009
246 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
thirstyears wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 3:03 pm
-IMO, asking for something just for the sake of asking for it, DOES come off as looking greedy...
-If you can demonstrate a need for a feature (i.e. you are actually using some LD, or are consistently coming close to using all your daytime minutes) an agent is much more likely to assist you, as best they can. Given this, I would say you would more likely be able to get the F2F/R added for no additional cost, as that feature has a feature credit; where as the LD features do not have feature credits.

-Alternately, I'd suggest you look into VOIP apps/services for your smartphone for use as outgoing anytime local and/or LD minutes. (GoogleVoice can be free if you can figure out how to set it up for Canada; Skype is $3/mo for unlimited USA & Canada calling, or less than $0.03/min PayPerUse)

I have GV / Magicjack combination for that, I'm more in need of when I go to Montreal / Vancouver and have to make calls from there.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2010
1147 posts
693 upvotes
anola wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 3:12 pm
why is that? I'm thinking of switching to Mobi... is the service poor? I would like to get the unlimited $25 plan with Mobi but my contract with fido doesn't end until May 2012... any suggestions on what I should do?
Quoting from guessboi (in my same posting): "I left Fido back in Jul for Mobilicity.... I just can't stand the poor reception from Mobilicity. Planning to go back to Fido.."

The new carriers are NEW, and just setting up their networks... Their coverage areas are much more limited than Fido's/etc, and service/reception within their coverage areas can be spotty... Everyone's experience will be different depending on when/where they are within their networks... Some people will be lucky and have no issues; while others are frustrated by poor service/reception -and may, like guessboi, want to return to the reliability of Fido's larger and well established network.

As the new carriers grow in their customer base they should also grow in terms of areas of coverage, capacity, and service/reliability... but for now, if you jump to the newbies expect some growing pains...(but they are offering financial incentives to give them a go!).
TUTORIALS ON FIDO's RETENTION PLANS: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-ret ... st10978753 & NEGOTIATION STRATEGIES: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/10969156-post7288/
My Fido Plan: 250day/1000E+W@5/unlimited incoming; CID, VM, 2500SMS; 35min.LD; flex data <100MB
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2010
1147 posts
693 upvotes
souledge wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 3:15 pm
I have GV / Magicjack combination for that, I'm more in need of when I go to Montreal / Vancouver and have to make calls from there.
You can MAKE calls with GV via wifi/3G on your smartphone (with your 6GB data plan) for free (do a google search for "Google Voice smartphone Canada" to find instructions on how to set it up)
It would be answering incoming calls on your phone, when outside your normal LCA, where you'd need LD from Fido.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10552 posts
2734 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
thirstyears wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 3:46 pm
You can MAKE calls with GV via wifi/3G on your smartphone (with your 6GB data plan) for free (do a google search for "Google Voice smartphone Canada" to find instructions on how to set it up)
It would be answering incoming calls on your phone, when outside your normal LCA, where you'd need LD from Fido.
technically you can receive calls too. I know with talkatone on the iphone you can receive incoming calls, but callers would have to call your GV number, which will be LD for most. I suppose if the OP is using magicjack as his incoming number, it could forward to GV, so free. What I am not sure of is if TalkaTone must be running to receive incoming calls nor if it works when in background suspended state. It could be using the iOS VOIP APIs and if so, it should be able to receive calls when 'closed' in suspended state.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jun 7, 2009
246 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 4:15 pm
technically you can receive calls too. I know with talkatone on the iphone you can receive incoming calls, but callers would have to call your GV number, which will be LD for most. I suppose if the OP is using magicjack as his incoming number, it could forward to GV, so free. What I am not sure of is if TalkaTone must be running to receive incoming calls nor if it works when in background suspended state. It could be using the iOS VOIP APIs and if so, it should be able to receive calls when 'closed' in suspended state.

Oh I have magicjack for when I'm in Toronto, I used to use Siphon elsewhere before my voip forward number got cancelled.

I think ceredon's got my situation down pat, except for my magicjack has a US number for my friend / family in the US.

Anyway, enough digression, back to retentions deals. I'll just wait around until LD is offerred with a credit and work on getting F2F/R first.
Aug 25, 2011
49 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
thirstyears wrote:
Nov 9th, 2011 7:49 pm
Technically possible, yes:
$25 200 Daytime; unlimited F2F & E+W@7; 2500 SMS; VM
$7 CID
$15 BB 50MB
$5 100Cdn LD
$5 data credit
$10 voice credit
>>$37 +tax
The tricky bit is persuading an agent to do so...
Check around see if any of the competitors are offering something similar...
If not, you could always just call and speak with an agent and tell them you are thinking to renew and would like to get a smartphone, perhaps a BB; tell them your needs are pretty minimal (figure out what your actual usage is, and quote it!) and you were hoping to stay with Fido if they could work within your budget, which is $40, and see what the agent comes up with... Doesn't hurt to tell them you've been happy with Fido and would like to stay with them, but you are considering all your options at this time... (and tell them whom you are considering, as this should get you transferred to retentions)
So the best he would offer me was:
$25: 200 min daytime, unlimited evenings/weekends
unlimited incoming
unlimited texting
$6: Voicemail/call display
$5: 100 Long Distance in Canada
for a total of $36.. no data which would have cost me an extra $15.. he said he had already applied as many credits as possible?

I used this Koodo plan to bargain with:
$25 150 minutes, evenings/weekends@5, unlimited Canadian long distance
$10 CID, VM, unlimited international SMS and MMS
$10 100MB Data saver up to $30 for 1GB.
$45.. and said I could get it for under 40 likely by adding a line to my girlfriend's account

Not sure what to do.. I've seen 2 offers just before my post for $40 or under, both with data, not to mention the plan you mentioned originally.. would it be OK to call back and suggest that plan word for word? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2008
1151 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
BRocky wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 8:52 pm
So the best he would offer me was:
$25: 200 min daytime, unlimited evenings/weekends
unlimited incoming
unlimited texting
$6: Voicemail/call display
$5: 100 Long Distance in Canada
for a total of $36.. no data which would have cost me an extra $15.. he said he had already applied as many credits as possible?

I used this Koodo plan to bargain with:
$25 150 minutes, evenings/weekends@5, unlimited Canadian long distance
$10 CID, VM, unlimited international SMS and MMS
$10 100MB Data saver up to $30 for 1GB.
$45.. and said I could get it for under 40 likely by adding a line to my girlfriend's account

Not sure what to do.. I've seen 2 offers just before my post for $40 or under, both with data, not to mention the plan you mentioned originally.. would it be OK to call back and suggest that plan word for word? Thanks

I am not sure how long you've been with fido, but you can try this plan

$ 30 plan (http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido ... To=monthly Plans),
$ 6: Called ID/VM (i am not sure how this is $ 6, i thought it was $ 10 for caller id + VM)
$ 5: 100 Long distance minutes
I'm sure you can get a $ 5 credit on your base plan + $ 5 monthly credit. That should bring it down to $ 31 and you'll have early evenings and weekends.

Hope that helps
Sep 1, 2010
761 posts
159 upvotes
sindh1963 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 10:02 pm
I am not sure how long you've been with fido, but you can try this plan

$ 30 plan (http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido ... To=monthly Plans),
$ 6: Called ID/VM (i am not sure how this is $ 6, i thought it was $ 10 for caller id + VM)
$ 5: 100 Long distance minutes
I'm sure you can get a $ 5 credit on your base plan + $ 5 monthly credit. That should bring it down to $ 31 and you'll have early evenings and weekends.

Hope that helps

Possible, I guess so, likely,, not that much,, not at 31$, not with a basic plan,,

normally no voice credit should be applied to basic plan (exception are done regularly, but just saying),, you're asking for 10$... and you're right, the value pack is 10$ the reason at 6$ it's another 4$ discount on the vp.

I would say, for the service, 41$ without much trouble. and you could get it at 36$,,, at 31$ doesn't sound likely.
My suggestion of do and don't when calling retention fido-retention-plans-376936/1017/#post12135334[/SIZE]
Sep 1, 2010
761 posts
159 upvotes
guessboi wrote:
Nov 10th, 2011 12:41 am
Could I call retention if I left Fido back in Jul for Mobilicity?
I still have my account number with Fido.

I just can't stand the poor reception from Mobilicity. Planning to go back to Fido..been with Fido for over 7 years prior,

I am willing to sign a 6G - $30 data plan if Fido is willing to give me back my old phone plan. :(

My previous plan is
- 200 mins 17.5
- unlimited eve and weekends starting at 5 pm 7 (-7)
- unlimited incoming 10 (-5)
$10 VP (VM, CID, 2500 CDN SMS) 10 (-10)

Total before data = $22.5

The answer,, you will be just like any new cx,,, you will have to select your plan from what you see on the website. sorry to say but you would not be able to get your old plan back.

of course in 3 month you would be able to call and speak with retention to get a better deal, the fact it you did went away, any loyalty that you have with fido will have to start back from scratch.
My suggestion of do and don't when calling retention fido-retention-plans-376936/1017/#post12135334[/SIZE]
Nov 10, 2011
2 posts
EDMONTON
Hi this is what Fido offered me today. Wanted to post this and ask for advice if this is a decent plan for iPhone 4GS:

200 Daytime Minutes
Unlimited weekends and Evening starting @ 5pm
Unlimited Incoming
International Text Mesaging
6GB Data
Visual Voice Mail
Caller ID
Who Called

One time credit of $35
Plan costs is $60 per month

Thanks in advance!
Sep 7, 2008
88 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
MooMooPrncss88 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2011 3:23 pm
Hi this is what Fido offered me today. Wanted to post this and ask for advice if this is a decent plan for iPhone 4GS:

200 Daytime Minutes
Unlimited weekends and Evening starting @ 5pm
Unlimited Incoming
International Text Mesaging
6GB Data
Visual Voice Mail
Caller ID
Who Called

One time credit of $35
Plan costs is $60 per month

Thanks in advance!

Is that including the iphone free?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)