[Fido] Fido - Retention Plans

Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2920 posts
971 upvotes
Montreal
floydian1975 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2014 1:53 pm
I just called to get a new plan, I'm currently on the old 15$/month for 50 minutes, no data.
My contract ends this saturday, I've been with them for 5 years.
I want a data plan with a Nexus 5 and they offered me a 5$ off/month for 6 month on the 50$ Smart Plan with 1 gig of data and the Nexus 5 for 100$.

Sad to say, but I'm looking elsewhere now...
i agree, not much of an offer from Fido
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2273 posts
291 upvotes
North York
Managed to score a better deal versus my initial conversation

Plan
Prom 6 GB Plan - 300 weekday minutes (7am to 5pm) - Unlimited Eve/Wknd minutes (Evenings Starting at 5 pm) - Unlimited incoming calls - Unlimited text messages from Canada to Canadian, U.S and international wireless numbers - 6 GB of Data - Unlimited Circle Calling - Call Waiting - Conference Call + $5 (CID/VM)

Offer 1:
Galaxy S5: $120 (Includes use of Fido Dollar of $112)
Monthly: $61

Offer 2
Galaxy S5: Free
Monthly: $66
Added bonus: $60 credit

So basically comes out ahead with Offer 2 slightly better than Offer 1. Signed for 2 years
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
2058 posts
102 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2014 5:11 pm
Managed to score a better deal versus my initial conversation

Plan
Prom 6 GB Plan - 300 weekday minutes (7am to 5pm) - Unlimited Eve/Wknd minutes (Evenings Starting at 5 pm) - Unlimited incoming calls - Unlimited text messages from Canada to Canadian, U.S and international wireless numbers - 6 GB of Data - Unlimited Circle Calling - Call Waiting - Conference Call + $5 (CID/VM)

Offer 2
Galaxy S5: Free
Monthly: $66
Added bonus: $60 credit
Looks like people with existing 6GB always get better deals.
2014 Perth Mint God of Olympus - Hades - $320 local Richmond (BC) Pick-up
2013 Glass Butterfly - $190 local Richmond (BC) Pick-up
Aug 28, 2013
5 posts
1 upvote
:confused: Called in with the Wind plan... Was sent to retentions or whatever they call it nowadays; All I could get was unlimited data for 3 months (free). I'm already on the $55 3gb retention plan. Was aiming for Unlimited Canada + 6gb and VVM and CD for $60/mth. No luck though. The rep suggested that I call back when they launch the new iPhone. At least the rep was delightful and attempted to assist me :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2273 posts
291 upvotes
North York
Yeah - the $60 plan is making a comeback every year when the iPhone is released.

However as I recall $60 does not come with neither call display nor voice mail - that's $5 add-on
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10656 posts
2891 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Ethan15 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2014 3:43 pm
Yeah - the $60 plan is making a comeback every year when the iPhone is released.

However as I recall $60 does not come with neither call display nor voice mail - that's $5 add-on
Rogers is raising the minimum requirement to be only their Share plans, which start at $80. Old plans will not be eligible for HUP (larger HUP anyway).

Since Fido follows Rogers HUP policies, I expect similar changes.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1276 posts
830 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Jun 13th, 2014 4:02 pm
Rogers is raising the minimum requirement to be only their Share plans, which start at $80. Old plans will not be eligible for HUP (larger HUP anyway).

Since Fido follows Rogers HUP policies, I expect similar changes.
Those "share everything" plans are really brutal. Esp. if you have one line, it is $80 for 500 MB.

Btw, Fido is middle-tier branch of Rogers (and chatr the lowest cost option). I don't expect Fido to have same rate as Rogers.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10656 posts
2891 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
theganguly wrote:
Jun 13th, 2014 5:43 pm
Those "share everything" plans are really brutal. Esp. if you have one line, it is $80 for 500 MB.

Btw, Fido is middle-tier branch of Rogers (and chatr the lowest cost option). I don't expect Fido to have same rate as Rogers.
In terms of minimum eligibility requirements, they've always had the same (well, for the last 6 years or so) so why expect that to change?

Hopefully they don't, but historically we should expect them to. Realistically, at retail fido's pretty much already there with the $75 Max plan being required for the larger subsidies. But in the past that hasn't invalidated all grandfathered plans, which is the big change for Rogers.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3715 posts
275 upvotes
Georgetown
Fido just called me to offer an upgrade (I am month to month with an ancient bar phone).

$49
The offer was a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini - on a tab24 (the phone basically is paid off in 2 years)
500mb data
500 minutes daytime, unlimited 5PM-7AM
unlimited text
call display, voice mail....

They threw in a $50 credit when I didn't bit (25 of which would cover the 25 upgrade fee... hah!)

Anywho... I basically just want to know if this is simply a "standard" offer and nothing special.. and what I should be asking for when they call back...

I essentially want it to be as cheap as possible as I use the phone mainly as an emergency phone - but if I have to pay $25 for that (at least), if I can pay $40/45 for a much better phone and some data, etc... it may be worth it.

If I will have to pay $49+ for basically any plan... I may as well milk it and get as much thrown in as possible (more data, etc.)

Any suggestions/thoughts? (I have $60 or so Fido dollars)

From a glance at their site, this is the basic offer... and I could also get an iPhone 5c for the same amount? Do they even offer good discounts/incentives anymore?? Is $50 off all people can get?
Mar 3, 2010
211 posts
18 upvotes
Tiberius wrote:
Jun 14th, 2014 10:26 am
Fido just called me to offer an upgrade (I am month to month with an ancient bar phone).

$49
The offer was a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini - on a tab24 (the phone basically is paid off in 2 years)
500mb data
unlimited text

They threw in a $50 credit when I didn't bit (25 of which would cover the 25 upgrade fee... hah!)

Anywho... I basically just want to know if this is simply a "standard" offer and nothing special.. and what I should be asking for when they call back...

I essentially want it to be as cheap as possible as I use the phone mainly as an emergency phone - but if I have to pay $25 for that (at least), if I can pay $40/45 for a much better phone and some data, etc... it may be worth it.

If I will have to pay $49+ for basically any plan... I may as well milk it and get as much thrown in as possible (more data, etc.)

From a glance at their site, this is the basic offer... and I could also get an iPhone 5c for the same amount? Do they even offer good discounts/incentives anymore?? Is $50 off all people can get?
Standard plan 500 mins and 500 MB is $44, I guess they are give you smart plan.
Jun 16, 2008
761 posts
588 upvotes
I'm on Fido with a great retention plan ($50 for 6GB data, 200 minutes, free E/W, voicemail, 2500 text) which will expire in August.

Lately I've been following the thread and the retention deals being offered are severely lacking. That, combined with reports like this: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...month-june-17/ and http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...-5-price-hike/ have me worried that my current plan, or any other one I could negotiate, is about to skyrocket.

What's my best play if I'm considering switching to WIND for their current $39 CAN/US plan? Of course I'd like to keep the same number, and I'm taking a trip to the US at the end of July that this plan would be great for, so I'm curious if anyone had any tips. Should I cancel my plan a couple months early and port the number? I don't mind paying for both Fido and WIND plans for a couple of months and seeing what happens in August, so long as I can secure this WIND plan and also port my number.

I'm an iPhone user, but paying $80 a month for a subsidy is ludicrous - I'd probably end up buying the iPhone 6 unlocked when it arrives.

Thanks for your help!
Jul 13, 2009
793 posts
100 upvotes
Tiberius wrote:
Jun 14th, 2014 10:26 am

$49
500mb data
unlimited text

If all you're using is as an emergency phone, I dont see why you'd get a plan with 500mins.
Get a plan for around $20-25 (with Fido or somewhere else). And with the ~$25 saved per month (save more if you go prepaid), you'd save ~$300 in a year. $600 in two years.
Dunno how much iPhones are, but I'm sure 600 covers the basic model at least. A year and a bit should get you a Nexus 5.
Cell plans - anything more than $10/gb is a ripoff.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3715 posts
275 upvotes
Georgetown
ChappyHappy wrote:
Jun 15th, 2014 3:04 pm
If all you're using is as an emergency phone, I dont see why you'd get a plan with 500mins.
Get a plan for around $20-25 (with Fido or somewhere else). And with the ~$25 saved per month (save more if you go prepaid), you'd save ~$300 in a year. $600 in two years.
Dunno how much iPhones are, but I'm sure 600 covers the basic model at least. A year and a bit should get you a Nexus 5.
Exactly. I pay under 25 all in now. I would renew on a contract at that price to get a new phone (any new phone really)... But I think they will not make that offer and I will be paying more anyway... So.... Maybe I get a decent phone with data, etc

The last time they renewed me, the guy called and offered a new phone to lock in for 2 years... And actually lowered my plan by $5/month for those 2 years... So 17'ish.... Times seem to have changed...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8881 posts
1839 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I was told I could get any phones but the iphones at the standard plan subsidy/price when I asked about renewing and keeping the $25 unlimited incoming plan.
But maybe the base voice plan has to be $25+, won't work if you're on the $17.50 plan

FYI, Moto G LTE 8GB with a microSD slot (and charger) is coming out in 2 days, should be like $50 on a standard plan and $0 on a smart plan
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
4531 posts
227 upvotes
Vancouver
anyone know if fido will ever get the note 3 phone?? my contract ends in aug and planning to switch to rogers.. but i like my current contract with fido, $70 with 6gb data